Switching - who can do it?

HanabiraAsashi

Switching should always be something you do purposefully and consciously. I wouldn't rely on any sensations you didn't likely induce on your own. I recommend meditation and, during that, working on disassociating yourself from your senses. Treating your body like a shell that you're retreating inside of maybe, aware that it is still experiencing sensations (touch, sound) but not claiming them as your own, applying to you. Getting proficient at that dissociation is the first half of switching, the other half being your tulpa learning to take your place. All I can say for that is just to practice, it's way too subjective an experience to give guidelines for.

For me anyways. Plenty of people will tell you how things "should be", because that's how they were for them. And optimally you acknowledge but do not instantly subscribe to their advice, until one (or a mixture of many) seems to work well for you. But that paragraph there is as much advice as I feel comfortable giving.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

This happened during meditation. The intent was to switch (or at least disassociate myself) and this is what happened. You're giving great advice, and that's exactly what I'm doing. My preferred way to delve into new things is the find out what others experience (since usually there are a variety) and then use those experiences to follow my own path that works for me. The problem with this is that without a good sense of direction, its difficult to tell if you're headed in the right one. Which leads me here, asking if what I experienced is similar to what others feel at the point of switching. If the answer was yes, I'd know what to work on.

Oh, I assumed it wasn't planned because your tulpa didn't seem very prepared for it.

Advice for once you guys actually find some kind of success in the process - it's basically a rite of passage to be very weirded out (both of you) the first time you switch and be somewhat confused on who's in control/whose thoughts are whose. It's honestly like the first experiences developing vocality all over again for more experienced systems. There have actually been people who completely quit trying to learn switching after their initial experience scared them or was too uncomfortable, usually due to that unsureness of who's who or at least who's in control.

So... Be prepared for that I guess? Don't worry about everything being perfect (total separation and no merging/eclipsing/whatever you want to call confusing who's in control). If anything, that confusion is the first step to completely switching, 'cus it at least means something's changed. Sort out the sensations and tidy up the process over time and things should go smoothly.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

[Tri] That type of experience happens with some people when they reach high levels of dissociation. For some people, that is the thing they experience right before they go fully inside. Our host is one of those people, but not everyone is. Unfortunately, the times she went inside, there was no one capable of taking the wheel so to speak. Most of the times were just spontaneous dissociation spells.

Funny thing, we learned how to do full body possession by starting with eclipsing and working our way to full-body eclipsing and then Hail just disconnecting more and us getting our own wiring so to speak. We can do full-body possession for 6 days straight no problem (and suspect we could probably do it indefinitely but would never test) but can't for the life of us switch. Instead, Hail just goes dormant and can't think even if she wants to unless we give her attention (well, up to a couple weeks ago when she split a bit and gained some ability to think again in the state). But we really aren't working on switching for the moment since there are more important things in our life. Maybe at one point we will. Part of the reason we haven't been able to do it is because despite Hail being quite dissociative, it is really really hard to disconnect her unless she is having a dissociation spell. Only one her who can really push her is the original S who can make her nearly black out. Those two have switched once about two decades ago over the course of several months.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

What would eclipsing be? Is that what I refer to as a partial possession? How did you guys start your early stages of it?

Thanks! Gathering as much info as I can.

[Hail] Eclipsing works a bit different than possession, though it is common for when one is doing one of them to be doing a bit of the other. It is basically the puppetting the person in control of the body to do what you want to do with the body rather than moving the body directly yourself.

Term originated from /r/tulpas by /u/DusktheWolf I believe to describe the way they controlled the body and the differing ways it works (blending seems to go hand in hand with it and accidental mergings can sometimes happen so one has to make sure to reseparate rather quickly if that happens)

The definition we have been using at tulpa.io is ECLIPSING:

A form of co-fronting different from possession, but that often has possession occurring alongside it. Like possession, it is another way for one or more people to control the body while someone else is at the front. Rather than directly moving the body like possession, the eclipser makes the person in front move the body for them, essentially turning the person in the front into a remote control puppet. Eclipsing often includes substantial blending. Eclipsing sometimes operates by making the person at the front want to do the things that the eclipse is trying to do, which then causes the person at the front to automatically do them.

More information can be found at

Eclipsing, like possession, can be partial or full-body.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

I would say that the only reason that me and shaide don't switch is the differences in our physiology and his uniquely non-human thought process. We have been forcefully switched, by a tko in a fight, I got knocked out and he didn't. But due to his very overzealous actions in protecting me, we both fear him taking control again.

As for me and Liz, I don't think she would trust herself to not mess up. Though we've never tried, and most likely never will; I believe that if me and Liz switched the exchange would scar us both or blend us up like a mcflurry-fox. Since we are different genders, I can't imagine that we would be OK if she got stuck halfway.

Had an interesting experience last night, was wondering if anyone had any input on it.

As I said before, ive experienced an upwards tugging feeling like im being lifted out, but nothing ever happens. Last night, that feeling was increased at least 10-fold, a very intense pulling upwards. It honestly didnt feel like I was connected anymore. Then suddenly it felt like I rolled over and then the intense pulling felt like I was pulled downwards. The feeling lasted several minutes, and I told Iselia that she should try to take my place, but nothing happened. Im guessing she just didnt know what to do.

Based on this, were we close?

While I don't switch, your pulls and proprioception weirdness during meditation does sound a lot like a neat meditation that I do: out-of-body experiences. I used to do those in order to cope with a sleeping disorder I had (REM atonia, better known as sleep paralysis if you don't mind the lack of pedantry.) Before my first experience with this meditation being successful, I practiced a lot, but only succeeded when I gave up without giving up. Umm? It's difficult to describe, but considering that I could only do it purposely on accident, of course there must be people out there who have done this accidentally by accident, when they weren't even trying, and never read about what the bleep was going on.

But I can't say that it necessarily relates to switching. In people who literally believe that an out-of-body experience is literally someone going out of body as in leaving their body "empty" for some other consciousness to "fill", this is even a common worry.

In my experience, they are not related, switching/possession and out-of-body experiences. I cannot fathom the actual mechanics, but I'd say they aren't. Frustratingly, my out-of-body experiences never worked to break my atonia, either, when that was the reason I had gotten into it. But that's the way so many other people said they did it, even going so far as to make atonia out as a prerequisite. I don't believe they're necessarily related, anymore.

Plenty of people will tell you how things "should be", because that's how they were for them.

I want to put a neon marquee around this and post it everywhere.

Well, "posting something everywhere" is effectively what forum signatures are for. If mine weren't about my tulpas and our threads, I'd probably have more stuff like that in it. Not saying you need to put that quote in yours - but, I do like seeing my tulpas become well known in their own rights. It makes me feel like I'm doing my job well as a host. The less they interact with the world, or the world interacts with them, the more I feel I owe them.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.