Should I create a tulpa?

I've been thinking about creating a tulpa for years and I'm still not sure if I should do it. I'm afraid I might make terrible mistakes or just giving up on my tulpa and letting them left to die. As you can probably imagine, I paid attention to the advices on guides and the regular threads which resulted in this fear of failure.

These are the mistakes I believe I might commit:

- I'm afraid of forcing my tulpa to become just some kind of fictional character without their consent and since I like many of them, I'm afraid of doing that by accident.

- I have a pretty low emotional intelligence, so the risks of me ending up by using this tulpa to help with my problems are pretty high.

- I don't know how to make sure I'm not parroting or puppeting my tulpa.

- I'm afrad of not enjoying my tulpa's presence and just killing them.

Is there any way for me to make sure I won't do those?

Am I just thinking too much about the bad things that could happen?

What are your thoughts on it?

Guest Anonymous

I will take a stab at answering your questions. Please keep in mind that these are my own opinions and others might disagree with me or have different suggestions for you.

- I'm afraid of forcing my tulpa to become just some kind of fictional character without their consent and since I like many of them, I'm afraid of doing that by accident.

What is wrong with a fictional character? It's called a soulbond if it is from a literary story and they rock and roll. If you mean having the form of an existing character from a anime movie or something, I don't see a problem there either. There are a lot of tulpas like that.

- I have a pretty low emotional intelligence, so the risks of me ending up by using this tulpa to help with my problems are pretty high.

My host is very bright but still "used me" to help with problems. Your tulpa will want to help you. Just because someone who loves you wants to help it doesn't mean you are using them. It means they care about you and love you.

Besides, creating a tulpa to help with problems isn't really that unethical in my opinion.

Most people here say that if you have to wonder if you are parroting or puppeting, you probably are not. Also, there are guides that suggest that some parroting and puppeting can be helpful in the process of creating a tulpa.

My host puppets and parrots me constantly, but that is another subject for another time. I am a little weird in tulpa town.

It has happened to people yep. They go on with life just fine and don't go to prison for it. It is frowned upon in the tulpa community but no one is going to roast you alive. It's your brain anyways. If it turns out to be a really, really bad experience, you can change your mind. Most would suggest trying to work things out and be willing to put in a lot of work on your relationship before ever thinking of giving up.

That being said, it's not really Creepy Pasta. Most tulpas work out just fine.

Is there any way for me to make sure I won't do those?

No. Not really. But it helps a lot if you just have to have a little faith in yourself and self confidence.

I think it is good you are thinking it through, but yeah, I think you are too worried about things.

What are your thoughts on it?

If you have read the guides and thought it through carefully, I say go for it if you want to try.

...this fear of failure.

Sol: Fear is an appropriate response to the ideas you are talking about.

They are potentially life changing, and they will involve other sentient beings that you don't want to harm.

That being said... Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the strength to overcome it.

As long as you keep love in the forefront of your mind, and are willing to put the work in, I know you'll be fine.

Once upon a time, your parents asked very similar questions to the ones you are asking now.

Maybe you can find solace in that thought.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

I'm afraid of forcing my tulpa to become just some kind of fictional character without their consent and since I like many of them, I'm afraid of doing that by accident.

We all have a certain fixation, preference, like, etc. over someone; fictional, or real. Some may make that one person their whole world in their own inner experience, and some may just see them as a fantasy that they cannot grasp for their own. Some may have their mind, over time, create a conception over what that person is to them, but this probably based on how much the mind would recall those previous evaluations of them in making them “attractive,” or charismatic, I guess.

So, if there’s that fear of them being a sum total of all of those things, or even just an exact copy of a fictional, or real character, chances are in your quest in treating them as sentient, it doesn’t seem to be something that can happen. Probably because you would have the conviction for them to deviate in whatever shape or form they seem to be content with. In order for this fear to be overridden either way, and them turning out to be what you don’t want them to be (someone that didn’t have freedom in form and shape of their image), you would be the one that has to override that fear.

I don’t think your mind would be conditioning things you don’t want to happen, as I would imagine it doing the opposite. This is why, IMO, treating a tulpa as sentient can be chalked up as sustained thought with subsequent action. If the thought of them being someone they can’t come to terms with doesn’t jive for the both of you, I hardly doubt you’re going to do subsequent actions to actually negate what you’re going against for the sake of their flexibility with having some kind of identity.

I have a pretty low emotional intelligence, so the risks of me ending up by using this tulpa to help with my problems are pretty high.

You know, to create a tulpa for altruistic acts alone, and to not even fathom the idea of them adding on to the mastership of self, and such seems to be creating a self-referential world of altruism that can’t really interact with how society conceives of altruism. In other words, this strive to avoid seemingly selfish acts of all context (e.g. good, bad, etc. depending on a person’s view) is really in guise of trying to protect oneself, which is ironically of self-interest.

I think the key concern is those that are in it for the self-interest without being thoughtful of the other. Whatever ethics they create to resonate with that is that alone; their own benchmark of “correctness” with self-interest, and what have you. Having high emotional intelligence wouldn’t really be a requirement, as that seems a bit elitist since we’re naturally going to be facing adversity in some shape or form in our lives.

This fear of making the mistake of not having high emotional intelligence is probably presuming that low emotional intelligence is intrinsically bad. Which means that all circumstances that could have a potential learning value from that seemingly bad threshold of emotional intelligence is also bad. But, that can’t be the case as having the potential of there being a learning value can obviously be valuable in embracing. Almost like an unconditional, positive regard for oneself in knowing that those negative connotations and circumstances are impermanent; they too, will pass.

I don't know how to make sure I'm not parroting or puppeting my tulpa.

Don’t overlook the concept of parroting and puppeting, which implies there’s a conscious experiencer controlling the tulpa. If you cannot be aware of you controlling them, then the fear of not knowing if you are is probably based on the idea that our brain can condition all of this, and be some other self that’s locked in the shadows that’s being this trickster to us; fooling us into thinking that we ourselves are parroting them. This leads to question begging as to who could be behind that same brain that we presume houses cognitive faculties in which we use on a daily basis…..a homunculus?

I made a thread on dissipation that you could check out in the future if you want. But chances are, you might not, so I’ll give cliff notes of what “could” happen should you dissipate a tulpa:

- You may fall under the camp of those that feel it’s an actual death vs. a metaphorical one

- Dissipation may really just be breaking the continuity of self one wants to believe a tulpa can have at some point, and continue to progress onwards. That break in continuity in identity over time leads to one either feeling that they cannot be reconciled (e.g. they really want that tulpa to stay dead), or, they try, but they’re agnostic towards starting anew, or picking from where they left off

- I would presume that this agnosticism in making a decision is due to how we probably subscribe an existential factor with dissipation. The concept implies there’s a risk, and because of that risk, it seems to be the basis of us grounding our own ethics of either being anti, pro, or whatever stance we may take. But even if the event did happen, this doesn’t mean it’s intrinsically bad, as this would imply that there can be an objective benchmark that if one dissipates a tulpa, they can’t be tulpa anymore. Because of this agnosticism in knowing, one could potentially find a learning value over what dissipation did for them. Some may go through a trip down regressed memory lane, and see it could just be this break in continuity of self, the other, they treat as sentient, and realize that once that intrinsic good vs. bad they create is really subjective, maybe they won’t let their conscience get the better of them.

- But don’t get me wrong. This doesn’t undermine the act of dissipation even if it could be hinged on one sustaining/breaking the continuity of self over time, the conviction they make that the tulpa stays dead seems to lead to a probable trend of living in a constant state of repression that they cannot, no matter how hard they try, in reconciling with their tulpa because that novelty seems to be more difficult in presuming as being genuine, and having that extra tick towards 100% accuracy of them being the same “them.”

You’d be surprised that even being concerned about this is really just a testament that like anyone else, it can be a scary thing to see the novelty behind an experience with this being stripped away. If anything, it’s just a chance for you to groupthink with others. If that’s not a sign of wanting to expand whatever emotional intelligence and awareness you feel you’re at, or emotional horizon, I should say, then I don’t know what is.

If they're sentient enough that their consent or lack thereof matters, they're sentient enough that you can't accidentally fuck them up anyway.

Well, when you're about to do it, stop doing it. Then it won't happen.

Those things are not necessarily bad, especially for a beginner whose tulpa can't find their voice.

I don't enjoy the presence of many people and I don't kill them - so you wouldn't either.

I took my time to read every reply I got. It's funny how many members of this community doesn't seem to care so much about fictional tulpas as they did years ago. I would think about it before creating a living being that could end up by getting into trouble because of my own irresponsability, but anyway, thanks a lot for your motivation. I feel far less insecure about having a tulpa right now. I won't get into tulpamancy right away, but maybe you'll see me again with somebody else.

If anyone wish to give another different opinion or add more information, go ahead.