Distinctive and Independent Writing Styles for Tulpas

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My host and I have noticed that some tulpas are very distinct in their writing styles from their host in how they compose their sentences, their choice of vocabulary and use of grammar. Some actually seem to attempt to add in elements of personality by use of slang or the use of phonemes.

For instance I often write "bout" instead of "about." It is because we are trying to add elements of how I silly-talk into writing.

We have also noticed that many vocal tulpa have writing that is very similar to their host's. If the host does textwalls *ahem cough* the tulpa does very similar textwalls. Tulpas tend to choose some of the same words and phrases as the host too.

Mistgod and I see this as evidence in support of our hypothesis that the separation between hosts and tulpas is not always as wide as people would like to believe. It could be there is a little host in every tulpa and a little tulpa in every host. It is a foggy division and kinda permeable.

As for my host Mistgod and I, our writing is very clearly similar. We are blended and we collaborate on typing and composing. In fact, we are often not sure which of us is more dominant in the writing him, or I. So all of our writing on Tulpa Info is Mistgod-Melian "systemic writing" in that it comes from both of us.

Excerpt from the Book of Melian:

"Mistgod: Melian shares my mind and knowledge, writing skill and vocabulary.

She has shared all of my experiences during my lifetime with me. So, when

she writes formally, her writing style is virtually identical to my own. She

may occasionally choose to use different words and phrases that fit her

personality better. When she communicates informally, in my head to me or

in the Melian Show or while chatting on the internet, she sometimes switches

to her informal “Melian Speak.” Melian Speak is a flow of chatter punctuated

by her own cutesy words and phrases. "

Some of this kinda makes sense to my host and I because the tulpa shares the brain with the host and accesses the same language and memory centers of the brain when writing. So it kinda makes sense that the writing will have some similar style and elements to it.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you notice that some tulpas write a lot like their hosts? Have you noticed some are very distinct from their host in their writing style?

What does similarity in writing style and methodology tell us about tulpamancy practice, if anything?

Fenchurch and I looked into this a bit on her 2nd birthday. She's been taking the survey and stylometric test on every birthday, so we compared 2014 Fenchurch to 2015 Fenchurch to my PR (which was longer at the time). The samples of her writing were closer to each other than to my writing, which surprised us. But maybe other samples of my writing will come up even more different. We'll find out in 30 days when we do it again.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Guest Anonymous

Oh that is interesting! LOL The host's writing changed but the tulpas didn't.

It would be interesting to see if a tulpa has an effect on a hosts writing. I am a fan of silly words. I make up words and I adopt words that I think are entertaining. An example is the word "wonky." I really like the word "wonky." I also like the word "splurt." There are a lot of those. Anyways, my host does sometimes use a Melian word. Wonky has slipped into his writing here and there. He also didn't use the word "fabulous" until I started doing it. Now everything is fabulous to my hostie.

our hypothesis that the separation between hosts and tulpas is not always as wide as people would like to believe.

Ehh, it just comes off to me that your focus of interest is the blurry bit of the Mistgod-Melian continuum. In a space such as Tulpaforums where The Mighty Objective is objectified, the focus is going to be...not on the overlap. Before I discovered that tulpamancy and soulbonding was a thing, I just couldn't help but notice that who/whatever-these-are appear, and think, and say, and do all so differently than anything I can own to be "me".

What does similarity in writing style and methodology tell us about tulpamancy practice, if anything?

I can only admit to a personal prejudice, that if the voices are very similar then I'm more likely to get my guard up about what else this pluralist wants me to believe about them. This is unfair, of course, especially considering that it's natural for people who spend a lot of time together to start picking up speech mannerisms.

(You two are cool because you at least openly admit the overlap, and I can believe that you're obviously devoted to studying this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I've run into other people who lie just for the sake of finding out what people will believe, and then turn around and make fun of everyone for trusting them. I can only guess something like that is why there's ever such a stigma here about not joining in on or conforming to or otherwise validating The Objectifying Objective.)

My tulpas didn't learn the language, or their communication skills, themselves. They use the same parts of the brain as I do to talk and type. But there certainly is a lot of personality influence on what you say (and not just how you say it). Where my tulpas differ from how I type, it's less them trying to show themselves as separate and more a result of their different ways of thinking. Tewi doesn't try to sound smart and Lucilyn doesn't try to sound carefree. Rather, because Tewi is more serious/calm and values logic and clear communication, her language reflects that. Lucilyn on the other hand, I believe just can't be bothered to try and sound "sophisticated" like us, I guess. She throws in "'Cus"'s and occasionally drops our 'perfect' grammar because she finds it a hassle and sees no loss in being more informal. But we still go off roughly the same unconscious thought processes, save the ones Tewi chooses to ignore or Lucilyn purposely changes. So in comparison to an actually-separate person, no, my tulpas don't seem so different. But they probably do if you compare them to each other or me.

And if you don't like textwalls you don't have to read them. Feel free to tell me or Tewi if we're repeating ourselves because we don't want to be redundant, but (at least I, I don't know about Tewi anymore) I won't write less if it means leaving out information that could help someone, or if it's something really important to me. (Unfortunately for you guys, my tulpas are the most important thing to me that nothing else compares to. Probably why I type so much, oh well.)

Speaking of, don't tell Lucilyn she's writing too much. Tewi and I can take that I guess (even if I/we disagree), but Lucilyn really puts her heart in everything she does, and she only talks to help people or make them happy. That's her intent at least. Even if she gets carried away, please just let her be. All of them already talk so little. It happened once (though neither of us was personally offended, don't worry LZ) and I really don't want it to again. That was the only time I've seen her legitimately saddened, when (only as she interpreted it) she was told to stop talking.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Ehh, it just comes off to me that your focus of interest is the blurry bit of the Mistgod-Melian continuum. In a space such as Tulpaforums where The Mighty Objective is objectified, the focus is going to be...not on the overlap.

Yeah, actually that is actually kinda true. In fact, if you notice, we are proud of the overlap or blending.

(You two are cool because you at least openly admit the overlap, and I can believe that you're obviously devoted to studying this phenomenon. Unfortunately, I've run into other people who lie just for the sake of finding out what people will believe, and then turn around and make fun of everyone for trusting them. I can only guess something like that is why there's ever such a stigma here about not joining in on or conforming to or otherwise validating The Objectifying Objective.)

I am very devoted to it. If I was doing all this writing just to fool people for attention or for a laugh, I have sure worked hard at it pretty much every day for these past 14 months on Tulpa Info and almost three on deviantart. That would be quite the joke! LOL

My tulpas didn't learn the language, or their communication skills, themselves. They use the same parts of the brain as I do to talk and type. But there certainly is a lot of personality influence on what you say (and not just how you say it). Where my tulpas differ from how I type, it's less them trying to show themselves as separate and more a result of their different ways of thinking.

Yeah exactly, I get this with Melian too. Have you ever gone away for days or weeks and gone back to read their writing? With me it is a very powerful thing to do that, I really can see her personality in the writing when I leave it for a while and come back!

Tewi doesn't try to sound smart and Lucilyn doesn't try to sound carefree. Rather, because Tewi is more serious/calm and values logic and clear communication, her language reflects that. Lucilyn on the other hand, I believe just can't be bothered to try and sound "sophisticated" like us, I guess. She throws in "'Cus"'s and occasionally drops our 'perfect' grammar because she finds it a hassle and sees no loss in being more informal. But we still go off roughly the same unconscious thought processes, save the ones Tewi chooses to ignore or Lucilyn purposely changes. So in comparison to an actually-separate person, no, my tulpas don't seem so different. But they probably do if you compare them to each other or me.

I have noticed the differences myself yes.

And if you don't like textwalls you don't have to read them. Feel free to tell me or Tewi if we're repeating ourselves because we don't want to be redundant, but (at least I, I don't know about Tewi anymore) I won't write less if it means leaving out information that could help someone, or if it's something really important to me. (Unfortunately for you guys, my tulpas are the most important thing to me that nothing else compares to. Probably why I type so much, oh well.)

Unlike many, I love textwalls and so does Melian. We are so opposite than most in almost everything. Textwalls are exciting!

Speaking of, don't tell Lucilyn she's writing too much. Tewi and I can take that I guess (even if I/we disagree), but Lucilyn really puts her heart in everything she does, and she only talks to help people or make them happy. That's her intent at least. Even if she gets carried away, please just let her be. All of them already talk so little. It happened once (though neither of us was personally offended, don't worry LZ) and I really don't want it to again. That was the only time I've seen her legitimately saddened, when (only as she interpreted it) she was told to stop talking.

Lucilyn can write her heart out to Melian and I all she wants to!

Heh, I'm pretty much on board with everything Lumi said.

My overall writing style is pretty similar to my host's... it's actually gotten moreso since I started talking online I think. Maybe as I became more comfortable with expressing myself to people outside the head? As I talked, I felt less need to make sure I was distinctive from my host... it was more important that I sounded like myself, not that I sounded unlike her. So, I've picked up a lot of her stylistic preferences, like use of smileys (she and I agree that they convey tone a lot better than words) and the way we tend to textwall. I blame it on knocking around in her head for too long... my sense of humor bled into her, and her talkyness bled into me. ;)

But then you have someone like Joss, who sounds nothing like either of us. Lots of direct statements and not much wordyness unless you get him on a full-on rant. That difference may be a combination of how distinctive his voice is in his source material and the fact that his personality is just really different from either of ours.

So... point is, it probably depends not just on the system, but on the individual tulpa, yeah? ;)

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

It's probably nearly impossible to tell us apart without her typing/being proxied in italics. There's a lot of overlap for sure. I think, as others have said, this comes from her not having to learn language in the way we as physical humans did in making neuron connections-- She just uses the same paths I've already made.

The only differences are that if she gets serious and starts analyzing something or a situation, she tends to start using bigger words and more formal and direct language. On the other side of things, she'll also be the one to blurt out the politically incorrect joke/statement that even I wouldn't make, so it seems like she'll go to the extremes that I won't. I tend to use more "casual" language no matter what, where she'll be more "informal" or "incorrect", but also more "serious" when a situation calls for it. This can come across in our typing, but is much more apparent in spoken language.

For example, a typical speech pattern of the same spoken statement:

Me: "Iunno what the hell that is."

Her: "I dunno what is that."

But in a more serious setting:

Me: "I think this guy is bullshitting and trying to take what he can get."

Her: "I don't think he's being truthful, and is trying to take advantage of the situation."

Some of each other's speech patterns are starting to bleed over though.

We both tend to type casually, but coherent and grammatically correct enough to get our point across to everyone. The way we speak to each other on a daily basis differs much more, and we put or own flare on the pre-built connections that we know are correct.

Only other difference is the voice, her's is a bit harsher sounding than mine, but that's not something that anyone else can really experience, so it's pointless to try to explain in detail.

It's best to just call me Beany.

Tupper: Hexferry / d.o.b.: 11/04/2015

Hex will speak in italics, if she decides to.

My case not in writing

But some phearses appeared inside me(suddenly ) like my voice

But not mine !

I have control on the response to them , like the whole life it is .

________

For example :

I heard knocking sound on the table :

Yanus" what happened to you in your life is fit clear , there no thing out from any where gutting in your way , and you've totally response to them "

Me : immmm ok !

But channeling yanus in writing here or Internet can happen by his inspiration because he is energy and I'm energy and he can connect my stream of energy.

And really I wont to believe in channeling. . But I can't llooll ?

I understand it .. but really I don't quite believe there is something control my body and have limited information!

It's should be a wide information by that .. not short like there is now difference between my tulpa and me !

Don't you think??

I've seen both distinctive and non-distinctive. I guess in terms of an explanation it's like Lumi said, there are shared faculties for language probably, but language use also reflects personality and different modes of thinking.

Where my tulpas differ from how I type, it's less them trying to show themselves as separate and more a result of their different ways of thinking.

You can make deliberate changes to how you write for reasons other than wanting distinction, too (like, people without tulpas will do it too). It's just another way of reflecting outlook.

Anyway, my main point was that my own typing style (and my tulpa's) differs pretty heavily in different contexts as well. In more formal contexts I guess our differences diminish a bit, and like Melian said, we collaborate on stuff which ends up having a pretty natural style.