Distinctive and Independent Writing Styles for Tulpas

Guest Anonymous

I share some mannerisms with both Luna and Sol.

Their templates were the Freudian Super-ego and Id, respectively.

Yet Luna is more informal and Sol is more formal... which is odd if you're familiar with the theory (I'm aware that Freud isn't very popular).

Common sense says that higher functions would be a serious matter, and survival instincts a more impulsive/frantic one.

Maybe Luna being silly is a metaphor for the subjectivity of faith/morals.

And perhaps Sol's formality is a metaphor for the importance of staying calm and rational during survival situations.

At the end of the day, I'm just happy they only have the good parts of me and not the bad ones.

One of me is more than enough, thanks very much!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

Hey Mistgod, half your post was "quoting Faemon" instead of me.

Yeah, my tulpas type differently in different scenarios. I was talking about how we all generally type here on tulpa.info. I find it pretty interesting how they type when pretending to be me to my friends, though. Flan's indistinguishable, but either Lucilyn or Tewi tend to give off the impression that I'm in a specific 'mood'. As infrequently as that happens with Reisen, I recall her bringing up some rather real and philosophical discussions, that again don't seem too out of the question from me. But they just see moods whereas that's simply how my tulpas are by default. I honestly haven't acted like any of them in a long time, but these are friends of 6+ years so they've seen most sides of me.

As for just trying to change how they type consciously, Tewi does that sometimes. Me too of course, both of us for more casual reasons. But she's trying to cut back on the large discussions recently, and that means being even-calmer and more concise. I think I still prefer to be just normal me, though. I don't have anything to hide so I'm generally pretty straight with my language. But maybe she'll rub off on me.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Mistgod, half your post was "quoting Faemon" instead of me.

Whoops, my apologies. I fixed it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Fenchurch just took the survey and stylometric test again. Again, it looks like she's developed a writing style that's very distinct from my own. I'm not sure how much of that is context though.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

Got a friend whose Tulpa, Star, writes exactly like he does. I think this is because she learned to write by watching him, so it's simply easier on her to keep his style. She's identical right down to the slang they use, which I admit, gets confusing.

In our case, Maya started out writing a lot like me, but she's branched off from my style a bit, desiring to make her own individuality more obvious. You'll see she's much more liberal with the tilde and emoticons, and less careful with her grammar; I try my best, being the son of an English major, while she just cares that others can easily tell what she's saying.

I did have a minor influence on her. She swears a bit more regularly now in spaces like Skype groups, whereas before reading as much of a "damn" out of her used to be jarring. She's not saying "fuck" all the time, but she's a little more liberal with her words now.

"Inspirational quote." -Famous Person

Tulpa: Maya

people purposely portray themselves differently in every situation to what they think is socially appropriate or to further their standing or something, that's a well known psychological/philosophical phenomenon I think. So, with all the bajillion ways your brain knows how to be and why, tulpas can talk in those different ways too. Because we have different "goals in social situations", not on the surface but waaay deep down. Because of what our personalities are like compared to our hosts we might type differently from them. Also, some tulpas probly wanna talk differently from their hosts because because, and maybe while hosts are desensitized to social situations (autopilot) tulpas are thinking more about how to express themselves to the world, at least at first when they start doing so.

I definitely do not put more thought into my posts than Lumi though. My philosophy guides how I write, and it says it's not such a big deal and to chillax.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

Good point! Humans speak differently in different contexts and even write differently. My hosties letters and cards to his wife read very differently than his memos to his boss at work. Very different.

OH he does let me do some of his e'mails though. Hee hee People get a kick out of it, as long as it isn't a really important e'mail. Like when they are discussing like the coming weekend or something on the side or like something not work related and stuff. I will pop in and say something so SILLY. I will descend into thick Melian Speak.

I did that with his Aunt Cathy once without preamble and it freaked her out cause she had never talked with me before. Oops. Daive had to call her and explain. I had forgotten to preample it a little so she knows who is addressing her. She thought Davie's e'mail got hacked! Oops.

After that Davie gave me my own e'mail and Facebook page so I don't use his and stuff.

In places where we're expected to put effort into our writing (like forums, for example), there aren't many differences outside of how much we write - he tends to pump out textwalls whereas I'll try to be as concise as possible. When that's not the case and we're just in a chatroom or any other informal setting, he's a lot more casual and tends to drop punctuation regularly.