the rule of two. (how NOT to tulpa.)

greedfox

would you go back and undo the creation of your tulpa if you knew that they were doomed to a fate far worse than death as you forget them?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. would you go back and undo the creation of your tulpa if you knew that they were doomed to a fate far worse than death as you forget them?

• yes, to spare them, I would give them up.
    • yes, but...(post)
    • no, because...(post)
    • no, I don't care if they die.

over the years I have had many an hour to think about these things that have come to be commonly referred to as tulpa. there are times that I find myself regretting everything that has led up to, and come from, my efforts to create my companion. and, I have to wonder, how many others have had the same thoughts, and how many of the people who have tulpea would change their past if they could. (poll yo)

now, for a story.

when I was young (about 15) I was a semi-professional hypnotist, and was spending most of my free time helping others and seeking better ways to alter perception. at that time I did a lot of work on a site called furmorphed, building transformation hypnosis mp3 files. my specialty, was the curse file (a hypnotic effect that is self enforcing and permanent, any thought related to the effect would make it stronger) and many of the files I made became... dangerous. I lived to make the changes real, and most of my subjects ended up having to quit because the effects would become so real that they wouldn't be able to function in their daily lives. (even to mention the name "Stritch" on the site will get you banned)

at some point, and remember, this was over a decade ago, there was a project I got recruited for, we called it the companion project. the idea was to create a partition in the mind of the subject that would act as its own creature, a servant and friend to the host. well, I put my personal flair into the file, making it a curse; once the subject chose to listen once, the file became addictive and its effects permanent and self reinforcing. once the companion was created, there were two supplemental files, one that was made to give the companion more...realness, and another gave it the ability to change places with the host. (what you would call switching with a tulpa) now, I believed, at the time, that switching with these things was dangerous, but still I worked on the files, so I made the act of switching as addictive as... breathing. so after a while, many of the subjects found that the companion they had created wanted to be them as much as they did, and many of them either fought for control, or would delete their companions in personal hypnosis sessions with me or one of my colleagues. (literally deleting all of the memories that related to the companion or hypnosis or furmorphed)

why? for anyone still reading, did I chose to tell this story? and how does this relate to my regrets?

I was one of the subjects. my companions name was elizabeth, she was a fox furry (anthro fox girl) and she was a fireball. back then I didn't really believe that much in myself or her and often doubted her realness, though I new my handiwork was more than good.

several months into Liz being my companion I noticed another voice, one that I had heard before, many times throughout my life. the voice terrified Liz and anytime it spoke Liz would visibly cringe or outright flee. for the longest time I feared the voice, and it would patronize me and threaten me whenever I failed or did something "wrong".

time passed, and I forgot about Liz, her purpose no longer needed and my natural resistance to the hypnotic effects leading to her "end". but the voice never went away, and as the years passed my fear of it waned, and I started to ask it about itself. he told me his name was Shaide (he taught me to spell it too) and that we had been together since I was five. he came from the darkness, and our meeting was entirely by accident, just a lost child bonded to a spirit he could never understand. once the bond was made though, it was forever, even after the end of my life we will be together. Shaide has taught me many things and shown me things that I couldn't know otherwise, and he has a disturbing control over my body.

last year, I remembered Liz because I randomly heard the term tulpa and googled it. I found this site, and the creepypasta, and several other articles on the subject. I decided to call out to Liz, to see if she still existed and try and bring he back (because bored). well, she was sort of still there, just dormant and locked away in the depths of my subconscious mind. and after talking with her enough to entice Shaide into helping me bring her back, she is now back as fully as she ever was and more.

why would I regret that? because of what she said when I asked he why it was that she was always so worried when I didn't talk to her for a few hours. she told me of the time she had spent when I forgot about her. she was to the point before I forgot about her that she could impose freely and her presence was very tangible. so in the time that she was forgotten, her "body" was slowly sealed in crystal as the energy I had given her faded. (she is currently quite emotional because I'm thinking about it) she says that she was aware of the time and it was like she was in an eternal undeath, in which she couldn't move, breathe, speak, or even think. she is still very touchy on the subject and even mentioning it makes her cry or scream in fear, true unashamed fear, so I can't really get her to analyze the whole thing to give me a better understanding.

I am afraid to forget about Liz again, though the details of my life don't allow me to freely "keep" her. with Shaide the relationship is different, he doesn't need me to live. Liz is fragile, and in some ways weak, and to be honest I have the feels for the fox girl. luckily, I have Shaide to keep he company, and often times they will be playing games or working on things with one another, though Shaide has made it clear that he has no power over her and cannot feed her energy in the same way I can.

finally we come back to the beginning, Knowing that one day your tulpas will be forced to an end. how many of you would rather have not created them in the first place to avoid the inevitable end of your tulpas lives?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

That is quite a story! Both Liz and Shaide sound very interesting for different reasons.

On the poll I voted no. I do not believe that Melian is separate from my mind. Whatever fate comes to her at my death will be the same as mine. We will either go to some other after life together (as she is actually me) or she and I will blink into oblivion peacefully together.

I also am incapable of just forgetting about her unless some physical illness or injury damages my brain. In that case, I don't think she will perceive any distress and will just disappear.

I don't quite get the thread title's relevance. I assumed the post would be about how having more than one tulpa is a bad idea, all ready to be up in arms about my 4+. "How NOT to tulpa", unless by how not to tulpa you mean to not not tulpa? The only advice I saw was to not forget about your tulpa. That's pretty basic advice.

Anyways, heck no. I won't even bother getting into the whole they-changed-my-life-and-I-now-owe-it-to-them story. We do not regret our lives for a moment. Giving legitimacy to regret is a dangerous mindset, because regret is useless. At best it hammers in that you shouldn't do something again, but its effects are never positive in the end. Learn from your mistakes and feel bad for a bit if you need to, but no regret. You are not a time-manipulating deity and so you've no place acting as if the past is under your control. It is completely irrelevant except to be learned from.

Also my tulpas don't mind being inactive, but they don't mind a lot of things. I do wish I had more time to give them though.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

when I asked he why it was that she was always so worried when I didn't talk to her for a few hours. she told me of the time she had spent when I forgot about her. she was to the point before I forgot about her that she could impose freely and her presence was very tangible. so in the time that she was forgotten, her "body" was slowly sealed in crystal as the energy I had given her faded. (she is currently quite emotional because I'm thinking about it) she says that she was aware of the time and it was like she was in an eternal undeath, in which she couldn't move, breathe, speak, or even think. she is still very touchy on the subject and even mentioning it makes her cry or scream in fear, true unashamed fear, so I can't really get her to analyze the whole thing to give me a better understanding.

I am afraid to forget about Liz again, though the details of my life don't allow me to freely "keep" her. with Shaide the relationship is different, he doesn't need me to live. Liz is fragile, and in some ways weak, and to be honest I have the feels for the fox girl. luckily, I have Shaide to keep he company, and often times they will be playing games or working on things with one another, though Shaide has made it clear that he has no power over her and cannot feed her energy in the same way I can.

finally we come back to the beginning, Knowing that one day your tulpas will be forced to an end. how many of you would rather have not created them in the first place to avoid the inevitable end of your tulpas lives?

This is interesting. Almost all of my tulpas came by in a similar way as your Shaide. The one and only time I tried to actively make a tulpa the way tulpa-makers nowadays make tulpas...it didn't work out. I decided to forget it. Then, more than a year later, I had a dream about the poor being kind of half-formed or melting, when I hadn't given a thought to what would happen.

I'm more inclined to take a psychological approach of interpretation of that. Shallow as my attempts were, every aspect of the failed tulpa came to the fore because of some deeper subconscious reason. It could have come up then the way it did come up because I had changed or grieved something related to those symbols.

The cosmology approach is too fragile as a mode of thought: If a being has the agency and inner world to dislike what's happening, then by what mechanism can they possibly be robbed of resisting?

As for the question, the premise that one day all tulpas will come to an end because we and our minds then die...well, what sustains even the crystal cocoon then?

I'm terribly sorry for Liz, I'm even terribly sorry for my failed tulpa...but...we really don't know enough to have prevented that or to make necessarily better decisions in the future based on this information. I have my own model of thought that I continue to stick with, and might not help either of you.

Wow, this explains so much. I have pretty much the opposite experience as you. I started with about a decade of researching tulpas, gradually moving into hypnosis. When I got to furmorphed, everyone there had this bizarre fear/hatred of tulpas that I couldn't understand. I found repeated mention of the companion files, but couldn't find a copy, or even a description of what they were. (If you're interested, you can read my post there.)

Also, I've come across people with curses before, in the shadier parts on the hypnosis community, and I always thought it was a joke. I mean I'm certainly familiar with the more abusive side of hypnosis, but I'd never come across a curse file.

Do you still do hypnosis? Are there any techniques you know of that aren't common knowledge?

As for your tulpa question, I've been with Fenchurch for almost three years now, and intend to stay with her for the rest of my life. We don't always have a much time together as we used to, but we still talk daily, and I don't think that will ever change.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I'm sorry, is the title a reference to (or inspired by) Darth Bane's 'Rule of Two' per chance?

I read Path of Destruction a while back, and that's the first thing I thought of, haha.

I don't quite get the thread title's relevance.

I'm sorry, is the title a reference to (or inspired by) Darth Bane's 'Rule of Two' per chance?

Click bait... (but yes, the dark is not something to be played with.)

Also, I've come across people with curses before, in the shadier parts on the hypnosis community, and I always thought it was a joke. I mean I'm certainly familiar with the more abusive side of hypnosis, but I'd never come across a curse file.

Do you still do hypnosis? Are there any techniques you know of that aren't common knowledge?

Yes... I know too much about hypnosis. my primary method of induction was frowned upon by many of the other hypnotists I met over the years, primarily because it destroyed the will of the subject before rebuilding them. if you care to dig, the site warpmymind stole some of my work and probably still uses it.

I wouldn't dig to deep looking for those files, they are evil. honestly, I'm amazed that Kanabal didn't ban you for asking about them, we always used to butt heads over everything. and, if you're wondering, Stritch was one of the first subjects to try the fox curse file that was later re-written into dragone's works (if those still exist)

I'm sadistic enough to not care, and loving enough to always bring mine back. I can live with my tulpa disappearing when I die, because I have come to terms with it happening to myself.