anyone had a brain scan while having a tulpa?

I've noticed several members of the forum mention either being in, training for, or thinking of training for mental health professions. But generally speaking, Ranger, psychologists don't have neuroimaging equipment lying around the office.

While more would be better, there's no need to wait for someone to come along to study us. Someone already is. Samuel Veissière of McGill University did EEG studies of tulpamancers some time ago:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tupla-neuroscience-study-cont

and has more recently been working on fMRI studies:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tulpa-neuroimaging-research-study-preliminary-search-for-study-applicants

I strongly remember reading he found tulpamancers have reduced activation in language centers of the brain, but I can't track down my source for that. (If anyone else remembers it, please link.) At the time it seemed odd to me, but I've since learned that reduced activation is associated with increased efficency:

https://www.thecut.com/2015/05/brains-of-super-multitaskers-are-different.html

(The super-tasker phenomenon may be highly relevant to the extraordinary achievements of a small portion of our community, but the efficiency studies I'm referencing aren't addressed until the next to last paragraph.)

Imagine i went to a group of behavioral psychologists or psychiatrists and said, "i had paranoia and MDD and i 'cured myself' here's how, tulpas! I merely back seat fronted and gained an on demand support group of love and joy."

If they could, they'd have me committed 'for observation'.

Only if they had reason to believe you were a physical danger to yourself or others, Bear. A number of members of our community have reported discussing tulpas with their therapists and not being stigmatized.

-Ember

I'm not having fun here anymore, so we've decided to take a bit of a break, starting February 27, 2020. - Ember

Ember - Soulbonder, Female, 39 years old, from Georgia, USA . . . . [Our Progress Report] . . . . [How We Switch]

Vesper Dowrin - Insourced Soulbond from London, UK, World of Darkness, Female, born 9 Sep 1964, bonded ~12 May 2017

Iris Ravenlock - Insourced Soulbond from the Winter Court of Faerie, Dresdenverse, Female, born 6 Jun 1982, bonded ~5 Dec 2015

'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you.' - The Velveteen Rabbit

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While more would be better, there's no need to wait for someone to come along to study us. Someone already is. Samuel Veissière of McGill University did EEG studies of tulpamancers some time ago:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tupla-neuroscience-study-cont

and has more recently been working on fMRI studies:

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-tulpa-neuroimaging-research-study-preliminary-search-for-study-applicants

I strongly remember reading he found tulpamancers have reduced activation in language centers of the brain, but I can't track down my source for that. (If anyone else remembers it, please link.) At the time it seemed odd to me, but I've since learned that reduced activation is associated with increased efficency

Yes, Veissière has done some good work, probably our best bet. But I have never seen any results of these tulpa - related EEG or fMRI studies despite extensive online search. There's nothing in his publication list either. I guess the latter study is still ongoing but the first one was from 2015. I assumed it just didn't work out which would not even be surprising considering the pitfalls of this topic. If you manage to come up with anything, please post it here, would be interesting!

Super Girls don't cry

I don't know about the EEG tests, but I heard that the fMRI tests were supposed to actually happen by the end of this winter. It might still be a while before the results get analysed and published though. I'm still pretty excited for it

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I know someone who had those EEG cat ear headsets, that are supposed to wiggle the ears based on their emotions. Whenever their tulpa was around and active, the ears kind of went in random directions, and didn't respond to them specifically. When their tulpa was sleeping or otherwise not around, the ears worked normally.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Of course you'd need a Kumamimi version instead!

Also I am 12 and what is this!?

Regarding Pleb's anecdote, that's a new one for me! Was this truly replicable?

Too bad most people never bother to dig deeper even if they get some interesting results.

Let's look at the Nekomimi specs:

Necomimi-2.jpg

Generally we assume the brain will be in a both focused and relaxed state while forcing. So it would make sense if the ears move around. Guess that means they work as advertised which is not bad for such a toy. But of course you'd need accurately documented long term observations to say more and with these few modes it's be a bit difficult to do experiments like working out differences between the host doing stuff and wonderland, a tulpa doing the same with the host idling or both trying to do the same or completely different things.

There is lots of EEG and neurofeedback consumer stuff around already but most of it is still half-baked and too expensive to play around with. Haven't got the time and dedication to plan out and follow through with long term experiments either. Plus as said analyzing and comparing EEGs isn't trivial though you could probably run statistical tests on the raw numerical data to see if there are significant differences between activities. With enough replicates you might get some usable results at least for yourself.

Doable? Most likely!

Cheap & Easy? Nope...

But I think sooner or later someone will come up with results even from such toys as they get better and cheaper all the time.

Super Girls don't cry

the year is 2020, tulpamancy is still called tulpamancy and leading researchers of the phenomenon are all wearing electronic cat ears, with cat ears being the official #2 tulpa creation supplement (after orange juice)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

The electronic

neko

cat ears look really interesting! But they are not cheap!

And we don't have money ;_;

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread