The Chinese Room Argument & Computer Analogies

Imitate, sure, but still not capable of consciously experiencing. The imitation is just fooling others into thinking the AI would be sentient, when it's really not. Until programmers can figure out how sentience, conscious experience, or whatever seems to be important these days is created, or emerged, then imitation is the best thing an AI can do.

No one is talking about flesh and bone vs. metal. We're talking about the brain, and the cognitive processes behind it that makes it distinguishable from an AI.

Conscious vs unconscious - those things aren't important to me. I treat p-zombies and "actual" humans exactly the same, and put them in the same mental bucket.

Well, to others, they mean the whole world to them, especially since p-zombies are just a thought experiment, and not an actualized occurrence. The p-zombie concept is to show that they aren't physically possible, so for this to be something you treat the same as humans isn't necessarily of a materialistic worldview that holds that the physical is all that is needed to know, or that things can be reduced to physical terms in explaining. In other words, since the p-zombie argument can't be reducible to physical terms, since it's just a thought experiment, it would be kind of non-sequential to treat them in the same mental bucket as us --conscious beings.

• 4 weeks later...

Going back to the main topic I suppose.

I see the mind as a supercomputer. You, the core, the host thinker, is the main OS, and much like on a computer you can create other programs to do other functions. Productive, like a scan, defrag or what have you, or nonproductive (anyone old enough to remember that dumb sheep, or orange that crawled around your screen in 98?).

We don't use our minds to their fullest potential, there's a lot of unused computing power (those that have eidetic memories for example). And you don't realized how much computing its already doing(processing your senses). On top of the fact that the human brain can do so much more computing than a supercomputer of today. It has a level of pattern match matching and devising that supercomputers can't do. So a tulpa inherently has a higher being/computing than a computer.