Mistgod and Melian's Fantasy RPG Dungeons, Art and Ideas

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I really like this idea. Reminds me of a few things I've read. I know there was a trilogy of novels that had a premise like this, but the name isn't coming to mind at the moment.

Thanks sushi, I did find inspiration from a lot of sources.  Two of my favorites are Terry Pratchett (especially Disk World) and Terry Brooks, the Landover series.  

Last Sunday my wife, brother and I played another game of Talisman!  My wife won, yet again!  If any of you are unfamiliar with the game, it is a fantasy adventure board game with a lot of available expansions and supplements.  We have a hybrid game that is a combination of 3rd edition and 4th edition.  We have every supplement and expansion made for the 4th edition and a whole book of our own house rules.  I made a video of us playing the game some weeks back.  I can't remember if I posted it on Tulpa Info or not, but this is where it belongs in this thread.  

We play Talisman every other weekend.  I am the guy nearest the camera, drinking from the big noggin.  

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJl3fnYwvMg

648x486http://img14.deviantart.net/d2f4/i/2014/124/8/5/talisman_game_with_expansions_by_mistgod-d7h6l8a.jpg[/img]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

189x253http://pre06.deviantart.net/c0dc/th/pre/i/2013/158/b/6/golfo_statue_by_mistgod-d68508d.jpg[/img]

Golfo, mad god of the labyrinth (within the Mist Filled Realm)

Golfo is a greater spirit god of Mist World.  His domains are chaos, luck, magic, travel, trickery, gluttony, dream and summoning.  His holy symbol is a pair of extremely worn out boots.  His color is purple.  Golfo is sometimes referred to as the mad god.  Following the great cataclysm and the appearance of the chaotic magic mists, Golfo escaped deep below the ground into a subterranean level of caves and passages, somewhere below the city of Restwind (now called Nexus) in the sub world of Valdari.  There, he created his own realm.  

Humanoid and monster refugees, traveling deeper and deeper into the Deep Caves below the city of Restwind encountered him.  Seeing their plight against the encroaching magic mists, he decided to help them.  He used his vast magical talent to create a protected enclave for them to live in, taught them new magic and techniques of survival within the Deep Caves.  Over time, the refugees became his fanatic followers and worshippers.  The enclave that Golfo created became known as Salador.  

Golfo is endlessly amused and fascinated by puzzles and mazes and watching adventurous persons undertaking great challenges.  He began to create a vast labyrinth of passages and rooms surrounding the enclave of Salador within the Deep Caves.  He put teleport traps and teleportation gates here and there throughout Mist World that act as portals to this labyrinth.  He has the ability to watch (remote sensing ability, scrying spells and devices) anyone trapped within this labyrinth and is greatly amused by their attempts to survive or escape.  

Golfo's followers (sorcerers, wizards and sorcerer-clerics) where purple robes and worn out boots and are fanatically devoted to expanding and maintaining this labyrinth.  They believe that entertaining Golfo is the greatest calling and duty.  Golfo grants his most powerful clerics the 9th level spell, Golfo's Teleporting Touch.  This spell, delivered by touch attack, immediately teleports a victim directly to a random section of Golfo's Labyrinth.  Usually, there is a door or portal somewhere in that section that will teleport the victim back to where they came, if they are lucky, brave or clever enough to find it.

Golfo has learned to harness the dreamscape power of the Mist Filled Realm to extend his personally designed labyrinth sections into the world of dreams.  This causes sections of his labyrinth to appear through the Mist Filled Realms (including the Mist Forest).  His labyrinth sections are subject to mist effects and so are manifest by the mists from the dreamscape in the path of adventurer travelers according to their power, strength and fears.  

History of Golfo

Long ago, during the Quenest age, Golfo began has a mortal human.  He first began adventuring as a rogue and became one of the greatest adventurers of that age.  He amassed a large fortune and gained many loyal followers.  He loved taverns, feasts and revelry and his hall was famous for the wild debauchery that would go on for days.  He often staged public arena type battles between warriors, beasts or monsters for the entertainment of himself and his guests.  Eventually, he discovered a talent with sorcery.  His skills increased until he was an epic level rogue/sorcerer.  

Golfo became an expert on summoning and teleportation magic.  One of his favorite tactics against an enemy was to summon a powerful monster and then watch the battle from a safe or hidden location.  Eventually, he designed his own version of the powerful Maze spell (Golfo's Improved Maze Spell), with which he could teleport an enemy into a magical maze along with summoned monsters.  He was able to watch the fun from a safe location.

Over the years, Golfo continued to gain power of epic levels, eventually "ascending" to become a god (greater spirit) of magic, revelry and rogues.  Over thousands of years, he has advanced in rank as a god of his own godly realm, the Labyrinth.  Within the Labyrinth, essentially a vastly expanded extra-dimensional space or plane of his own creation, Golfo was complete master.  

Refugees, escaping beneath underground from the chaotic magic mists, eventually were found by Golfo.  They became his fanatic followers, living within his grand hall in the deep caves and helping to maintain the Labyrinth.  

Golfo has come to understand how the destruction of the world and the coming of the chaotic mists, has meshed the material world with that of the dreamscape (plane of magic, spirits and dreams).  He carefully integrates sections of the Labyrinth with the Mist Filled Realm (mist filled realms of Mist World where reality is shifted and warped by the chaotic magic mists).  As the Labyrinth became more and more connected with the Mist Filled Realm, Golfo gained knowledge and some control of the dreamscape and magic mists (well he can influence the mists, usually).  Eventually magic mists and the Mist Filled Realm came partially under his domination.  Still, it is hard to say sometimes which is more dominant, the will of the Golfo or the will of the mists.  

Golfo created a special chamber (or chambers) within the Labyrinth to serve as a tavern for "guests," which he dubbed Golfo's Guesthouse.  A powerful mercane wizard named Jaxtar was more than happy to agree to manage the tavern, along with other Golfo followers.  The tavern, like many areas of Labyrinth, has magical doorways or portals connecting to other areas of Mist World and into the Mist Muddle Maze.  There is also stair containing doors leading to other areas of the Labyrinth.  The door leading into Golfo's Guesthouse moves about the world and can appear almost anywhere.

Golfo's Monster Followers

Over hundreds of years, Golfo has accumulated a large collection of monster followers, especially monstrous humanoids and giant types over which he has control.  These monsters are fanatically loyal to him.  Many of these creatures inhabit cave complexes near the hall of Salador.  It is considered a great honor among monster kind to be sent into the Labyrinth to guard treasure or harass and kill adventurers.  Also, Golfo can use dominate monster spell, and other magic powers such as wish spell, to bring outside monsters to his cause.  Golfo is especially fond of trolls, troll hybrids and magical constructs, such as golems.  

Golfo as a "god"

Golfo is not a true god in the sense that he cannot grant clerics powers, he is more a greater spirit as are all "gods" in Mist World.  He is one of a host of spirits pertaining to the domains of chaos, luck, magic, travel, trickery, gluttony, dreams and summoning. He is not omnipotent and did not create the world and is subject to its limitations.  Potentially, he could be destroyed.  Powers are granted to clerics via entire hosts of spirits of elemental forces or magic.  However, a person may appeal to Golfo for intercession with these forces.  Actually, in Mist World the words spirit and god are often used interchangeably.