When Tulpas Sleep

Guest Anonymous

Do your tulpas sleep? If so when?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do your tulpas sleep? If so when?

• Yes, my tulpas sleep when I do.
    • Yes, my tulpas sleep, even when I am awake.
    • No, my tulpas do not sleep. They do not need sleep.
    • Some of my tulpas sleep when I do, others sleep when I am awake.
    • Some fo my tulpas sleep, others don't sleep at all.

Guest Anonymous

One of the things my hostie and I are most interested in concerning tulpas is their relationship to sleep and dreams.  That is mainly because I am so closely tied to sleep and dreams myself.  We decided to do a search for threads about tulpas going to sleep themselves and found quite a good assortment (listed below).  As you can guess, the situations concerning tulpas sleeping varies widely.  

My hostie has the opinion that all tulpas sleep because the entire human brain goes into a sleep state, bringing the tulpa within it.  The tulpa then becomes a dream at that point.  Now many will disagree with that I am sure.  Mistgod is not an expert on sleeping or the brain so, there you go.  He also believes any other thing about tulpas sleeping is only a simulation of sleep.  In other words, a tulpa seeming to go to sleep in the mind while the host is awake or while the tulpa is in the wonderland while the host is awake is only a simulation or day dream.  Again, it is only an opinion.  If you disagree, well, you are probably right, especially for your own system.  

We would like to ask the following questions of the membership in a quick poll:

Do your tulpas sleep?  If so when?  See the poll and you may answer more than one item.  If you would like to comment about tulpa sleep, please, we would be interested in what you have to say!  

Sweet dreams tulpa peeps!  

Fast Question: Do tulpas sleep?

Tulpas and Sleep

Do tulpas sleep? 1

How can you tell when  your tulpa is sleeping?

Do tulpas need sleep and do they sleep when we do?

Tulpas and Sleep 2

Can tulpas sleep?

Tulpas listening while host sleeps?

Where do your tulpas sleep?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niteo: I inevitably sleep when Amber does. I do not think it is because I am forced to, but rather I keep the same schedule as her (exception: see below). I know that the others in our system do not sleep when Amber does, which is certainly interesting because even Amber thinks that it makes sense that they would sleep while she does because the brain as a whole sleeps right?

I almost wonder if tulpas live in some form of a lucid dream all the time so that they are able to continue to "stay awake" while the host is sleeping... I know that I find it impossible to stay awake when Amber sleeps if I am helping her to control the body. It's like I get dragged down with her. But when I don't help her with that, I'm able to continue to stay awake past her sleeping. It's a bit odd.

I imagine we'll see different trends with different systems.

Niteo and Amber Take On the World

Amber speaks in italics right now.

Talk to Niteo on here or on discord

We share the body, we share a life. I'm not an accessory to his life...

Guest Anonymous

That comment that tulpas might be a perpetual lucid dream, even while awake, is kinda interesting. It is exactly what I think about about my Melian anyway.

I've seen Lusmore napping after what appeared to be an injury (not all my accidental tulpas are good company, some are monsters he's moved to fend off.) It looked like an awful battle, and sometimes I wonder if he died and I've been interacting with a ghost since then. I have thrown up my hands and shouted "whatever!" on subconscious parroting, but that one event gets me squinting and wondering, "am i...? NAHHH, that's Not A Thing. (pause) but am i...?"

As far as I know as a layperson, sleep and death is largely a corporeal thing, though, to do with corporeal bodies. We have circadian rhythms, melatonin production, in response to light cues...if we deprive ourselves entirely of sleep, our bodies could have trouble regulating the core temperature, which could lead to sepsis.

I'll speculate that tulpas don't have melatonin in and of themselves, or a core temperature to keep up in and of themselves. If the host sleeps and meets a tulpa in dreams, maybe that means the tulpa never sleeps, not that they sleep at the same time as the host.

For now, I'd go with that the appearance of repose or rest (or even of death, whether permanent or afterlife) in a tulpa are all symbolic. That applies to sickness like a fever, whether visualization becomes tangible so you can feel the heat of their skin, or there's a Wonderland clinic stocked with a thermometer...but, I'm not personally inclined to decide that Lusmore automatically has the same body temperature, circadian rhythm, and sleep phase that I have just because I am corporeal. Somebody incorporeal could have different needs and conditions, even though they can be anchored to or associated with the host's corporeal needs and conditions. But if I see Lusmore sleeping, sick, or dead(!) then maybe it means something about my state of mind.

We are for sure asleep when whoever is controlling the body is asleep, always. But rarely one of us will go to sleep before the one fronting + inactive others, which usually involves imposition. The last time I can remember that was quite a while ago when extended switching was still new to us, Lucilyn switched with me after having been active the entire day (a lot for us at the time), and because switching requires visualization of ourselves in relative space, it's basically imposition, and she moved herself over to our bed and lay down. She was still there when I went to sleep an hour or two later (not sure if it's king or queen size, but it's a big bed). Rather than movement or noise, it seemed like thoughts directed at her were what would wake her up.

Of course, it's imposition, so that presence is a choice on our part and not automatic/out of our control. But it's probably the sentiment that counts.

So if the one fronting is asleep (taking the brain with them), we're all asleep. If for some reason one of us specifically feels tired, they may sleep independently, no dreaming. Otherwise the majority of the time whoever isn't fronting is "inactive", which simply means the conscious mind isn't aware of them at all. No dreams or activity in general in that state, though we could become active and comment on goings-on at a moment's notice.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

I've seen Lusmore napping after what appeared to be an injury (not all my accidental tulpas are good company, some are monsters he's moved to fend off.) It looked like an awful battle, and sometimes I wonder if he died and I've been interacting with a ghost since then. I have thrown up my hands and shouted "whatever!" on subconscious parroting, but that one event gets me squinting and wondering, "am i...? NAHHH, that's Not A Thing. (pause) but am i...?"

I have decided unconscious parroting doesn't matter.  My new thing is not real vs. illusion but effective and functional.  If you can't tell the difference, why worry about it?  Also, there is this:  A tulpa uses the same brain pathways you do to form sentences and words.  You are closely connected with the tulpa.  So it is possible to feel that sometimes maybe you formed what they are saying or doing, simply because they touch the same places in the brain's consciousness when speaking or visualizing.  Hopefully that makes a little sense?  If not, drop back to what I first said, basically "who cares?"

As far as I know as a layperson, sleep and death is largely a corporeal thing, though, to do with corporeal bodies. We have circadian rhythms, melatonin production, in response to light cues...if we deprive ourselves entirely of sleep, our bodies could have trouble regulating the core temperature, which could lead to sepsis.

Yep.  

I'll speculate that tulpas don't have melatonin in and of themselves, or a core temperature to keep up in and of themselves. If the host sleeps and meets a tulpa in dreams, maybe that means the tulpa never sleeps, not that they sleep at the same time as the host.

Yeah that makes sense.  When I say that Melian sleeps when I do, I mean the entire brain is asleep.  She definitely doesn't go to bed, lie down and close her eyes.  In fact, much of the night she is very talkative and active.  I still consider us both asleep together.  It just makes more sense to me.   It took me a while to ponder that all out though.  In fact, I am getting pretty close to a Mistgod grand theory of everything Melian (if not everything tulpa).  

For now, I'd go with that the appearance of repose or rest (or even of death, whether permanent or afterlife) in a tulpa are all symbolic. That applies to sickness like a fever, whether visualization becomes tangible so you can feel the heat of their skin, or there's a Wonderland clinic stocked with a thermometer...but, I'm not personally inclined to decide that Lusmore automatically has the same body temperature, circadian rhythm, and sleep phase that I have just because I am corporeal. Somebody incorporeal could have different needs and conditions, even though they can be anchored to or associated with the host's corporeal needs and conditions. But if I see Lusmore sleeping, sick, or dead(!) then maybe it means something about my state of mind.

Yeah this all makes sense to me!  In fact, in the Melian show day dreams Melian has "died" thousands of times.  She could potentially even come back as a ghost, and in fact, I probably have day dreamed of her being a ghost before.  Melian is an imaginary being.  

We are for sure asleep when whoever is controlling the body is asleep, always. But rarely one of us will go to sleep before the one fronting + inactive others, which usually involves imposition. The last time I can remember that was quite a while ago when extended switching was still new to us, Lucilyn switched with me after having been active the entire day (a lot for us at the time), and because switching requires visualization of ourselves in relative space, it's basically imposition, and she moved herself over to our bed and lay down. She was still there when I went to sleep an hour or two later (not sure if it's king or queen size, but it's a big bed). Rather than movement or noise, it seemed like thoughts directed at her were what would wake her up. 

Of course, it's imposition, so that presence is a choice on our part and not automatic/out of our control. But it's probably the sentiment that counts.

See?  Melian and I didn't eve consider the effects of being switched, possession or imposition!  That is a another level isn't it?  Sometimes when we ponder these things, we put in in our terms but really learn something interesting when others respond.  

So if the one fronting is asleep (taking the brain with them), we're all asleep. If for some reason one of us specifically feels tired, they may sleep independently, no dreaming. Otherwise the majority of the time whoever isn't fronting is "inactive", which simply means the conscious mind isn't aware of them at all. No dreams or activity in general in that state, though we could become active and comment on goings-on at a moment's notice.

Fascinating!  Thanks for sharing!  To me, for some reason, the whole sleeping dreaming thing is just endlessly intriguing.

Guest Anonymous

What I want to know is what does it mean when I wake up before Davie?  This has happened!  I woke up from a lucid dream I was having, and for the briefest instant, I was in control of the body.  He always wakes up just a fraction of an instant later.  But the feeling is WAY trippy cool!

[s.] So, we have some interesting patterns here. If more than one person are cofronting or sufficiently attached to the body, then someone who is attached can fall asleep leaving whoever is left in full control (if they didn't have it already). Sometimes, someone getting control makes the previous person fall asleep. In the past, when I got control of the body, it would make Hail fall asleep and she would get partial amnesia too.

Now, for anyone attached to the body barely or close enough in the innerworld/wonderland to someone who is attached, the body going to sleep makes them fall asleep in short order. People in this situation can share a dream with whoever is attached to the body. Someone inside can fall asleep while the body is awake, whether they are close to someone attached to the body or far away. Far away inside, one does not have to sleep when the body sleeps. Not really sure what mechanism leads to the appearance or perception of this pattern.

We have also had an interesting situation where in the morning, one person wakes up but someone else is still asleep but is in control of the body except sometimes for the eyes meaning the awake person is there in the body unable to do anything other than just watch what the asleep person does.

Some, when far inside away from anybody attached to the body do not require sleep, but often sleep because they feel like it (Tri). Others still require sleep but are not obligated to follow the body clock.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

We are planning to do a sleep cycle experiment at some point, to see if we can through rotation stay awake permanently. But we both think it is probably impossible.

Both I and host spend a considerable amount of time sleeping while the other is awake, but we figure it is a dreamless sleep, and not particularly advantageous. We think it is possibly related to my being young that we sleep so much, as learning hard tends to exhaust like nothing else.

We also take turns sleeping in the body. Sometimes we sleep together, but that is hard because we keep each other awake. We think that the one outside the body experiences more dreamless sleep in that period.

If more than one person are cofronting or sufficiently attached to the body, then someone who is attached can fall asleep leaving whoever is left in full control

Yeah. In fact, we find it very hard to do things while sharing the body as one of us tends to slip away. Usually the one with the least control. On the other hand, when we are both trying to slip away, the second person usually can't.

Also, I, specifically, have a tendency to twitch shortly after falling asleep and it always wakes my host.

meaning the awake person is there in the body unable to do anything other than just watch what the asleep person does

That sounds like sleep paralysis. My host believes that sleep paralysis is a safety measure to protect against sleep walking, and that it can be overcome through willpower if it somehow persists while awake.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

• 1 month later...

My tulpa does sleep. At first, she would only require sleep every 3-4 days, but now she sleeps much more frequently (about 1-4 times a day), and does it more when she's bored than when she is actually tired. She is a heavy sleeper, and often would not wake up for many hours if I did not wake her up when I did. I suspect this is because of the absence of a day/night cycle in our wonderlands; it is always day in hers, and always night in mine.

She also seems to be able to be awake and function whether I am asleep or not; she sometimes wakes up and leaves to her side of the wonderland during the night, and I don't realize it until I wake up and see that she is not there.

We run, to the end, and the future follows

We run, to the end, from bleak tomorrows