I know, I know, another tulpa ask thread, you're probably sick of them by now.

Melisandre

Tau or Pi?

None of us know what that means, but I'll say Pi.

The Ole' Tuppers

• Patrick Vernon (based somewhat off the character from MLAndersen0, but has evolved away from it)
  • Cueball 

The New Astral Partners

• MD
  • Ast

Lots of mathematic equations use pi, 3.1415Iknowseventydigitsofthis, but more often than not we're using 2pi. To save the effort of having to multiply pi by 2 so often some people would rather use tau, which is just 2 times pi. They say the times where you have to use just pi are better to divide tau by 2 than to keep it as pi.

Pretty sure that's it anyways. I prefer pi, because putting 2 x in a calculator isn't hard, nor is writing 2π. I'd rather multiply than divide when necessary.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Lots of mathematic equations use pi, 3.1415Iknowseventydigitsofthis, but more often than not we're using 2pi. To save the effort of having to multiply pi by 2 so often some people would rather use tau, which is just 2 times pi. They say the times where you have to use just pi are better to divide tau by 2 than to keep it as pi.

Pretty sure that's it anyways. I prefer pi, because putting 2 x in a calculator isn't hard, nor is writing 2π. I'd rather multiply than divide when necessary.

Ohhhhh. Math wasn't always my strong suit. I still prefer pi.

I prefer Tau, however.

The Ole' Tuppers

• Patrick Vernon (based somewhat off the character from MLAndersen0, but has evolved away from it)
  • Cueball 

The New Astral Partners

• MD
  • Ast

Well the other idea is that when you're working in radians, tau makes so much more sense. Half the circle is tau/2, or pi. 3 quarters is 3tau/4 or 3pi/2. Etc

I honestly don't know enough to make a solid argument for either past that.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Well the other idea is that when you're working in radians, tau makes so much more sense. Half the circle is tau/2, or pi. 3 quarters is 3tau/4 or 3pi/2. Etc

Nobody in the system has really any enjoyment for math. Not even Jiko, the system's favorite NPC.

The Ole' Tuppers

• Cueball 

The New Astral Partners

• MD
  • Ast

Oh, it's not really an argument. An argument is like arguing why base 12 is more useful and easier to learn than base 10, but with a similar problem. Tau is probably objectively better than pi, but it will never (in our lifetime) be the norm. A better comparison is like using metric versus imperial. Obviously metric is better, but we sure aren't switching any time soon are we? Too many peeps doing it one way to make the other the normal way. But I think the entire math world is the US in this scenario.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

So, what other questions do you all have? I'm interested to see.

We're all interested to see what other questions you can ask, if anybody wants.

The Ole' Tuppers

• Cueball 

The New Astral Partners

• MD
  • Ast