Developing Tulpa's Voice?

ricinsbluebox

So since last month or so I've been forcing with Skye quite a bit I'm proud to say and recently I think I've been hearing more of her thoughts in my head - usually answers to my questions to her while passive forcing/narrating.  My only problem is that (I'm aware this is a step in the Tulpa creation process) all of her thoughts are in my mind voice.  I've gotten into the habit of mouthing what I'm thinking, usually when speaking to Skye.  I'm fairly certain she's been responding, sometimes faintly, but enough for me to wonder if that's her or if in the very back of my mind I'm parroting her responses.  I did some very light parroting some weeks ago but eased off quite a bit to see if Skye would say anything.  Her responses are simple enough for now as we've also done hand touches, side pokes, and head pressure responses to Y/N questions.  

I've been trying to find guides or something on giving Skye a voice/getting her to speak to me in her own voice.  I don't mind that her thoughts are in my own mind voice even if it does get a tad confusing much of the time.  I can be half done with a thought or statement and I can feel her thought already responding.  This week I've been gently egging her to say something no matter how stupid it might be so I feel like I'm kind of stuck in a rut here.  

On an unrelated note I feel like I'm stuck in development hell with her - my mind's eye is still incredibly fuzzy but when I do get down to it she does seem to respond to questions from me but as far as fluent conversation we haven't.

Any ideas to help out?

"And here's another curse - may all your bacon BURN," - Calcifer; Howl's Moving Castle

This is pretty common.

Best way to give her a unique voice is to actively workshop it. Voices are really, really hard to come up out of wholecloth (even moreso than visual forms!) so it's better to find a voice model, like tulpa001 said. Someone from fiction who you like or, even better, find an audiobook or Great Course or something... something where there's literally hours of one person talking.

Then, find a way to start associating that voice with your tulpa. Have her "try on" the voice (which is, admittedly, much easier once she's stronger at responding in the first place). Do that long enough, and she'll naturally use that voice.

Like I said, though, this is easier to do once your tulpa is a bit stronger at response in general. A bit of a Catch-22, yeah? But once she's more independently able to speak for herself, it will be easier for her to try for a distinctive mindvoice separate from yours.

In the meantime, keep working on developing her in general. You'll get there. It just takes time.

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

Tulpa001: I hear my own voice when reading your comment and I've been attempting to figure out a voice for Skye. It's leaning towards Maka from Soul Eater and it's been a fun cluster of nonsense for me to imagine Skye using that particular voice but also not parrot her responses in doing so.

Temar: Thanks for the additional response! Skye's gettin' there for sure so I'm ready for the work and patience, I'm just part happy and partly antsy about it xD. I'll try associating her voice with the voice I imagine/want her to have if I can and I think I'll try to play more games with her that involve her responding to me and see if that helps. I tend to be more active with her while narrating/active forcing but without really hunkering down to do it.

Thanks you two, though ^^

"And here's another curse - may all your bacon BURN," - Calcifer; Howl's Moving Castle

That is interesting. We give everyone here their own distinctive voice based on image and personality stereotypes.

I would actually recommend this as an exercise if you continue having difficulty. Every time you read a post or line of dialogue, imagine what they actually sound like, and hear them reading to you.

I like to sound deadpan nasally, and she likes to sound serious androgynous.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Woah really Tulpa ?! Indeed that is interesting ! I'm like ricin, i hear my own mind voice when i read something.. I'll take your challenge, sounds like a great exercice for the brain :)

I'd have never thought people would hear something else than their own mindvoice when reading.. I'm amazed :D

Cora : Maybe that explains why you suck at mindvoices *giggles*

No animosity intended ever 

Cora now has her own account ! :D

English isn't our native language, please be indulgent :)

There's very slight differences in how I read peoples' text based on the personality I perceive through their writing. I don't base it on the content of the avatar so much as what the avatar says about them. Doing things like using exclamation points and emoticons, or ellipses or lots of short sentences, or just being rude, helps shape that voice. But I wouldn't call it as clear as our mindvoices. Internet voices/text (book characters) are very strong on context but don't get mindvoice-level detail unless you read them all the time. That context can be strong though. Just look at Vos. Very simple and straightforward sentences, but that led to a unique "voice".

Anyways. Regardless of all that, you should be able to imagine the voice of someone you know talking in your mind. I can imagine some Youtubers we watch often saying literally whatever I want in their voices. So find a voice you like for your tulpa and practice doing just that. It would be half the point of parroting.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Tulpa: I actually think I've gotten a lot better. I'm practicing listening to Skye's thoughts and we've had conversations long into the night until I fall asleep. She sits somewhere just outside of my mind, so to speak, so hearing her voice (even if it similar to my mind voice) is a little bit easier. But that is an interesting idea - agreeing strongly with Floh here as well! I'll have to try that.

Tewi: I kind of have lately. When she speaks I have to sort of... oh, I don't know, overlay the voice I imagine her saying it in? It's getting a tad easier to do but I'm letting it develop on its own as we continue to have conversations together.