Tulpas and Dissociative disorders screening for correlation

tulpa001

Your score and if your tulpa is fluent (speaks in complete sentences)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Your score and if your tulpa is fluent (speaks in complete sentences)

• 0-9 not fluent
    • 10-19 not fluent
    • 20-29 not fluent
    • 30+ not fluent
    • 0-9 fluent
    • 10-19 fluent
    • 20-29 fluent
    • 30+ fluent

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Yikes Vos! And I thought I lived in a dreamland. Now things are getting more complicated and foggy with any correlations.

Does that not just mean there's little correlation in the first place? And even if there is correlation, I'm inclined to believe traits of DID lead to tulpas more than tulpas to DID.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Guest Anonymous

You don't understand. Melian and I wanted to be obviously different than everyone else like at one major extreme while everyone else is at the other extreme. That way we could have documentary evidence for our Special Snowflake status and pretentiousness.

Just because most people here have tulpas doesn't mean they're all similar types of people. Stevie's nothing like a lot of them, we're not like a lot of them, a lot of them aren't like a lot of them. We've got established adults with jobs (and sometimes families), lots of basement dwellers/young people still in school, those that like to keep to themselves and dislike interacting with others, and, you know, "normal people". Some of us have disorders of some kind and others are perfectly healthy. By no means is the entirety of the forum except for you going to vote the same on a poll. On the things that we all universally agree on, you'd agree too. When it comes to personality/living circumstances, it's all over the place.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

Guest Anonymous

Just because most people here have tulpas doesn't mean they're all similar types of people.

Yeah, you are probably right about that. :-) Although if you check the tulpa census survey data, you will probably notice there are at least some trends toward a particular demographic group.

There are trends. That's why I mentioned Stevie, because he's one of the "normal"est people I've seen with a tulpa here. But the subject matter is vague enough we're still not all going to be the same type of people, our personalities and life experiences will vary wildly.

• 1 month later...

Tulpa001,

Could you be more specific where you heard that tulpamancy and DID may have a link? I have a dissociative disorder (not DID) and I find that it is extremely easy for me to make a tulpa (whether I want to or not!).

(See my introduction post for more information.)

Notice that I used weasel words to tell you what other people have said without giving you my actual position.

The link is very simple. Tulpas are most likely a form of intentionally induced dissociation, in those cases where they are not just imagined. However, DID is incredibly inaccurate to the tulpa experience, as DID sufferers experience multiple personality states, not multiple persons in their head. For example, you could have an alter who is anger personified. A personality state has limited emotional range, and lacks the sophistication of personhood. DID may still be a valid form of multiplicity, however.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Tulpa001,

Well, first, I did not ask you what YOU thought about DID and tulpas but WHERE you heard someone suggest the link.

Secondly, you are very wrong about alters. As I said, I have a dissociative disorder and, not only am I an alter, but I know my fellow alters well enough to know that we are people, not emotional states. What you are talking about sounds closer to someone who is a "median". Those people attribute separate emotions to other versions of themselves, which may not be considered alters at all. Each alter, in my case, is different. Some are more angry or happy than others, but I would never say that So-and-so is my anger and Such-and-such is my happiness. If an alter is angry all the time, it is because he has some very traumatic memories from some point in our lifetime and he has trouble coping with those memories.

Third, I don't think using a self-help diagnostic scale for DID is best because DID is one of the most severe dissociative disorders. People with DID have the most problems with amnesia due to a lack of communication between alters but amnesia itself is not a qualifier for a dissociative disorder. Since I do not have trouble with amnesia, I only got a 17.  DID, of course, is the most famous dissociative disorder because it is catchy with the media, so I don't blame you for using DID. Still, Otherwise Specified Dissociative Disorder would be the best condition to explore when it comes to ease of tulpa creation.

Back to tulpas, I think my brain's tendency to dissociate and create new entities is what makes it so easy for my fictional characters to "come to life". This is something I have already thought about and I am glad to see that I am not the only person who believes there could be a link between the two. :)

PS: One of our goals in life is to bridge the tulpa and dissociative disorder communities. :)