-----------

Tewi

I asked the same question myself.

https://community.tulpa.info/thread-misc-once-a-believer-revisiting?pid=173170#pid173170

The problem with that logic, in a post I made just today: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-it-took-everyone-so-long?pid=174448#pid174448

Being unable to verify someone's sentience is just another illusion. If you know that you cannot know another's conscious experience, and I mean really know it, then you know that it is irrelevant. If it's utterly impossible, it does not matter. All you're left with is your own experience. You don't experience someone else's consciousness, you experience what they do or convey to you.

Same for a tulpa as it is for a human. All you know is what you experience. So if you experience a tulpa, that's that. Trying to verify their sentience is a fool's errand.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer this question because I never started believing. I simply got a tulpa one day. I have said I don't think belief is important to the process.

I think that if, as part of the process, you instil belief in yourself, then at some point after the process, you will lose the artificial belief.

I've seen many tulpamancers go with the "Just believe, because you have to" approach and end up being entirely convinced of their tulpas' legitimacy later on, glad they gave it a chance. That's generally the goal of telling people just to believe, that if they do they will eventually have experiences that reinforce what they once took on faith.

Having tulpas "just show up" has a higher success rate I think. We're the same. But above all, those who realize there is no such thing as real or fake with tulpas, whether logically like us or perhaps just through rather "carefree" views on reality (

), have the least chance of losing faith. Because there's no faith involved. Mistgod is stuck somewhere in between, because he values imaginary things but doesn't like how we consider tulpas more than imaginary.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I've read some stories about people who had created tulpas and then one day they stop believing in them, even when some of them have experienced possession or switching. Why?

Maybe they were lying to fit in with what others were saying, even lying to themselves, and one day just figured out it wasn't worth the exhaustion anymore. That doesn't mean that everyone else who has testified to vivid projection, switching, etc. are lying, just that if I haven't experienced it myself then it shouldn't matter to me. It'll be interesting to read about, and it would hurt if I found out it wasn't true whether it was a very convincing troll or someone finally owning up to wanting to keep up with the Joneses, but it ultimately someone else's experience shouldn't have been the pillar of my belief system.

I've read some stories about people who had created tulpas and then one day they stop believing in them, even when some of them have experienced possession or switching

Why?

Sol: It is not enough to believe something because it makes sense, you must also feel it in your heart. Doubt is what tests our convictions... it's an opportunity to be embraced, not something evil to be avoided. It can bring clarity, a deeper understanding and it can help you to let go of things you don't truly believe in.

Like fear, doubt is simply a tool your mind uses to keep you safe from things that might harm you.

Sometimes we believe things that aren't true simply because they help us escape from our problems... which is a form of weakness.

Sometimes we reject things that we know are true, because we are afraid of growing stronger!

The stronger you become, the more responsibility destiny will entrust you with. It can be scary... everyone in our system has had to face this kind of fear.

But we always remind ourselves that "courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the strength to overcome it".

Sol: To answer your question more directly - those people who reject their beliefs simply decided they were stronger without them (whether or not this is true... we might never know).

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

It seems to me that, a lot of the time, it's a matter of the person interpreting the same set of experiences differently. Do you consider the subconscious processing that goes into a tulpa enough to consider them a separate person? Then you're a believer. Do you consider that subconscious processing just a self-delusion of dissociation? Then you disbelieve.

We see this most often with Mistgod, who struggles with how an entity who is as connected and affected by his own mind as Melian could be considered a separate person. My own host has flashes of skepticism along the same lines, since she spent 16 years thinking of us as "characters" before we stumbled into tulpamancy and soulbonding. My host knows writers who have "characters" every bit as vocal and autonomous as Joss or I, but they don't interpret those autonomous responses as separate entities... they interpret them as mental algorithms taking on the Illusion of Independent Agency.

Which, in my experience, is pretty much what a soulbond or tulpa is. It's just a question of how you interpret that illusion and decide to treat the potential being that comes out of it. Acknowledgement is a powerful thing, with something like this.

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

Guest Anonymous

Because tulpamancy is a pseudo-science religion and some people simply lose faith.  It happens in every religion.  

(You may now return to ignoring Mistgod.  Responses to my annoying, caustic opinions are not necessary.  It won't change a thing anyway.  Just be glad I didn't say "cult.")

I think that asking questions that oppose the nature of one's original question can be quite helpful when they're looking for several perpectives to inspect. So here's another point of inquiry: Why wouldn't they stop believing?

The phenomenon itself is not a very easy thing to handle. It is simple, but it has so many loose endings and potential.. plotholes, that a lot of people find themselves unable to wrap their minds around it. Some find themselves wallowing in 3-year old threads, reading through anectodal experiences of others for the compensation of their unending doubts, much like I did.

Then there's the endless debate: "ARE TULPAS REALLY REAL THOUGH?!" I don't know. Are we really real? Is there even such a thing as "real"? We have no way of knowing for now, but that's not the point, because everyone agrees- or at least, seems to agree- that we have no dependable way of doing so.

The point is that some people end up caring for only the experience- and pulling themselves out of the debate in the meanwhile, some people choose to stay in between, and some people do both, or do neither.

Then there's time. Some get nothing even if they force for one hour every day, and end up leaving.

Then there's the 'mental algorithm' point Temar made. Some end up at that conclusion, and conclude that an algorithm is what it is; an algorithm. They find no worth in considering such a thing as an independent person, and leave. Some don't and keep going. Some say that we might all be algorithms and defend the theory that we're all equal to each other in that sense.

..And some of us just ramble endlessly on GD threads. Sorry if this post made no sense at all.

But here's the compendious, conclusional thought: This is a simple phenomenon with countless loose ends. Mental flexibility and acknowledgement are crucial. People will fail.

Maybe it's a type of natural selection? Heh.

I'm SomethingDire, and Céleste is my partner in crime.

Because tulpamancy is a pseudo-science religion and some people simply lose faith.  It happens in every religion.

[disclaimer]

No it isn't. It is neither a religion or a pseudoscience. It is a practise that some people approach as a religion or pseudoscience.

In metaphor, it is perfectly acceptable to say that this practise is like a religion. It is fine to point out the pseudoscience surrounding the practise.

I am wondering why so many people here seem to think there is no way to test this stuff. This art produces a suite of testable claims. At least a few that don't require access to the inside of the mind.

Why does everyone keep insisting there is no way to know? Now that is an unreasonable belief.

Disclaimer: I consider all beliefs unreasonable.

Also: slight error: all minds are technically algorithms.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Guest Anonymous

No it isn't. It is neither a religion or a pseudoscience.

It is a belief based entirely on faith and the testimony of others, just like a religion. It is completely subjective and cannot be tested or falsified.  It is only missing the connection to divine beings.  So it is at least religious in nature. It is a pseudo-science because people claim there is science backing it up, which there isn't.  It's right up there with remote viewing of distant planets using ESP, Bigfoot, spirit channeling, phrenology and UFOs.  There is no scientific support for tulpas whatsoever.  Some will attempt to present information about D.I.D. and MPD as evidence, but there are two problems with that.  First, scientists generally consider D.I.D is a mental disorder and second, D.I.D is considered a dreamlike delusion not something that is actually a second consciousness or sentience.  Also, D.I.D. is not a tulpa, it is D.I.D.  The fact that some people have D.I.D. is not direct evidence in support of tulpas.