MTV's 'Tulpamancy' - Owning It (Episode 1)

waffles

Guest Anonymous

At least I won't be expecting that tulpamancy will be widely accepted as anything other than wackiness. To expect that it would EVER be seen as mainstream normal anything, by a large number of the public, is a total wishful thinking fantasy. We need to attract the curious, not convince the masses.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least I won't be expecting that tulpamancy will be widely accepted as anything other  than wackiness.  To expect that it would EVER be seen as mainstream normal anything, by a large number of the public, is a total wishful thinking fantasy.

I know it's easy to hold that position now, but you know, plenty of people who are "attracted" here aren't nutcases or anything. To the 'curious' who did end up here, something must have caught their eye in a positive light. I think it's easy to see how tulpas can be presented positively if you come across it through the internet, ending up on tulpa.info or something. It's much harder for me to imagine the same people getting the same impression from this, for example. I don't think it has to be that way; tulpas haven't had much airtime, so it's too early to be fatalistic about it. On the other hand, I don't think it's okay if our publicity does become dominated by this tone. Or, you know, if it already is, that's probably not great.

I'd like to be the one setting the tone and try to represent the community better, drop some philosophy on the fragility of the I, drop the solipsism being a potential reality bomb. Really get the interviewer on the ropes and challenge peoples perception of it. I didn't like how at the end he was like "oh it's real to him" reminded me of like my strange addictions or something in the tone. I'd rather he have walked away with a little awe, and a sense that "oh I guess people have drastically different views of what constitutes reality for them.

You'd never be setting the tone, unfortunately. From what Sam & KT said, they were interviewed for a couple of hours, and that was edited down into a 3-minute segment. Whatever tone the producers want is shaped in the editing room, ultimately.

Oooooh really?

do you even lift?

Hmmm, they will do that anyway.

Maybe so, but me and mine won't quit either.

Semper Vigilans!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love." - Carl Sagan

Host: SubCon | Tulpas: Sol, Luna, Alice, Little One, Beast and Solune (me) | Servitors: Odonata, Guardian

THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG, EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN VIEW OF REALITY, RIGHT IS WHAT YOU AGREE WITH AND WRONG IS WHAT YOU DISAGREE WITH no exceptions!

Surely there can be either more helpful or less helpful, as well as things of which people can be easily convinced, and things which most people agree on. If I tell you that the earth is flat, are you saying I am not wrong but merely a different point of view?

I would say that the information that the earth is round is more useful, because then you know there's no 'edge' of the world that you could fall off of. Not only that, but most people agree that the earth is round and people can usually be easily convinced that the earth is round. One of the simplest "proofs" I've heard of (found in a discussion about whether people long ago knew the earth was round) is that when a ship is coming into port from very far away, the top of the ship will be visible before the rest of it is.

In the context of tulpamancy, one of the basic questions is "are these people crazy", which of course requires a "correct" definition of crazy. Again, I will use the one that I think is the most useful definition: Having mental irregularities negatively affecting their life. By this definition, people who have tulpas are not neccisarily crazy. Which they say in the video, but I just don't like it :P

I really don't like who they went through with picking. I think the tulpa community needs an ambassador who comes off more normie and assertive in the interviews. The mtv guy set the tone too much, and it was just examining it through his normie paradigm way too much, trivialized the whole thing. I would like to do an interview with the media instead. I am more of a misanthrope who masks his powerlevel and seems like someone who wouldn't watch anime, nonetheless have a tulpa. I feel like someone like that, that has the interviewer go "oh why do you have one?" would open up a better interview. I'd like to be the one setting the tone and try to represent the community better, drop some philosophy on the fragility of the I, drop the solipsism being a potential reality bomb. Really get the interviewer on the ropes and challenge peoples perception of it. I didn't like how at the end he was like "oh it's real to him" reminded me of like my strange addictions or something in the tone. I'd rather he have walked away with a little awe, and a sense that "oh I guess people have drastically different views of what constitutes reality for them.

No matter what, they can always edit it how they like. If you saw earlier in the thread, the person they interviewed didn't like it.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Guest Anonymous

An!  My friend of few words.  

What is the truth?

You're interpreting Wolfgang's quote literally.

The point is that change can happen if you persevere, but it comes slow.

Guest Anonymous

I guess we will see. I don't think I will be the official spokesperson for tulpamancy in any case.

Surely there can be either more helpful or less helpful, as well as things of which people can be easily convinced, and things which most people agree on.

Uh, well I said there are unfavorable views and favorable views, I was kinda trying to cover all that lazily.

If I tell you that the earth is flat, are you saying I am not wrong but merely a different point of view?

... maybe

I know science and -logic- are great and all, but it would be kinda hypocritical to say that that stuff is "RIGHT" and everything else is "WRONG". I think it goes against our views on subjective reality or something. Because people who believe otherwise and aren't ever affected to think differently.. To them they were right right? For the same reason you think you're right and they're wrong. You're just using logic. Which most humans agree is the best thing to base beliefs on... most... but idk, fundamentally seems like it should be the same.

I have no idea what we were talking about. All I was trying to say was the proposal that "everyone else could be right about us and we could be wrong" is the stupidest thing ever, like, maybe you haven't learned anything after all sorta right statement there. "Maybe everyone elses' opinions are right and ours are wrong", like really? But I think Tewi said earlier in this thread, the masses kinda decide what is right and wrong or acceptable or not, and they totally do not use logic first and foremost. So w/e

If you're gonna play it that way, I say we're right because we're us and they're them and we only have to care about what we think since we're throwing universal logic out the window

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I probably wouldn't pay much attention to "the masses". In scientific circles there's academic consensus to look at, but we don't have here. Still, we should look at those who are at least familiar with the subject, if not necessarily insiders. That basically leaves us - say, 'insiders', who are into tulpas and stuff - those who have had tulpas but changed their mind, and those who've watched the community without taking part.

Guest Anonymous

I have no idea what we were talking about. All I was trying to say was the proposal that "everyone else could be right about us and we could be wrong" is the stupidest thing ever, like, maybe you haven't learned anything after all sorta right statement there. "Maybe everyone elses' opinions are right and ours are wrong", like really?

I was more or less joking when I suggested the mass public would be right and we all would be wrong. I am sorry about my annoying sense of humor.

It's disappointing that MTV butchered Sam's interview so much, but I don't really expect much from MTV anyways. I think Reply All did a much better job at addressing the subject, since the reporter went far more in depth in providing explanations, especially with the involvement of mental health professionals, and making it clear that having a tulpa doesn't constitute a mental illness.

Edit;

Honestly, I think presenting the community well is a really difficult task in of itself. In order to make a clear explanation with no misunderstandings, it would require an in depth report, which I think MTV certainly had the option of through the long interview with Sam. However, I don't think an entity such as MTV would really bother presenting this in a good light anyways. People like to jump to negative conclusions and sensationalism, and that certainly seems like what MTV did here.