listening - to wake headmates or help with parroting

tulpa001

Question

We have found that the easiest way to hear the other is to stop talking. This probably goes against the general instinct in narration.

1)Stop talking.

2)Stop thinking.

3)Relax and stop trying to stop talking and thinking. Going halfway is fine.

4)Relax and pay attention to her.

5)Wait. It can take a while.

6)Relax and let whatever happens happen.

We have found this useful for waking each other up. I use it quite often because of her tendency to drift off while I am working hard or typing. I imagine it can also give your tulpa a much easier and longer time to get their voice working, rather than hoping they jump into a conversation.

It seems like the one thing we can't really do, is jump in to a conversation while the other is talking.

Also, relaxing and waiting has lower odds of inadvertent parroting than hoping and expecting. We use this technique to make sure the person we are talking to is the other and not ourselves, which happens occasionally. By just relaxing and waiting, it forces them to do the actual work.

Note: This should not be done as a replacement for traditional forcing. More, I think it might help if done before, in the middle, or maybe after some narrating. I also don't think it will help with getting first words. I think you need a little memory of their voice built up.

Details of the steps:

(1) Almost everyone has an internal voice that you hear your thoughts in. Hold it back. You probably do this automatically when listening to others or watching television. When you do so, background thoughts will start to be more noticeable. Which brings us to:

(2) In order for your tulpa to think easily, you want to create an environment in which they have room to think. So you want to pull some of your background thoughts out. Look at them. If some of them are caused by something you are worried about, forget that worry and relax until the thoughts subside. If you keep making observations about the outer world, direct your attention inward until the outer world subsides. Then, relax so your thoughts slow down. This should give your tulpa the space they need to think.

If you spend more than a minute on this step, then you are in meditation. This is too long. We are visiting, not staying.

(3) Our goal is to give the tulpa room to think. This means there is one final effortful action we need to relax away. The action we initiated in steps one and two. Your tulpa does not need the entire brain. So long as your thoughts don't return in full force when you stop actively suppressing them, it's all good.

(4) Now we add one stream of thought. The same way you become immersed in a book or television show or your own fantasy, to the degree you forget about everything else, you want to think about your tulpa. Think about what she is like, remember her, her traits, her personality. Think about what it would be like to think like her. About what it would be like to see her. About what she would do.

(5) Now comes waiting. Either it will work, or it won't. Giving it more time improves the odds. It is important to not try to do anything during this step. If you feel the thoughts you quieted in steps one and two rushing back, it is probably better to just stop for the day rather than try to suppress them again.

(6) This last step is an anti-parroting step. It is important not to expect your tulpa to do anything. You are just watching. You are not doing anything. Don't critically analyse any thoughts that come your way, don't accept or reject anything. Don't make any judgements or predictions, don't hold any hopes. Now we collect data. We can analyse it afterwards.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

About the stray thoughts. Well, is associating them with your tulpa a bad thing? I mean, if you don't that seems fine and logical, but, I have seen others suggest as much as that is how you get tulpas in the first place. You seem to be suggesting that relaxing and ignoring expectations is something that will worsen puppeting. My experience is the opposite. We either get no voice, or possible false voice at times of high anxiety.

I'm suggesting that that's true in some cases, and untrue in others. The long and short of it is that some people may need to do more of something and some may need to do less; you were one of the people who needed to do more, so you're advising everyone to do more.

For stray thoughts, it's up for debate. Again, maybe some people could do with doing it a bit more. Others could sure do with doing it less. Plenty of people identify any stray thought as "new tulpa" and end up with like 20; I think it's a bad habit, and if you learn it while making a tulpa you need to unlearn it afterwards because it gets a lot easier to identify things as tulpas after you already made one.

I think some clarification is needed in step 2 and 3: I am supposed to stop talking and thinking, and the stop stop talking and thinking? Resume talking and thinking? What did this achieve?

There a good tip in here, as some people do need to shut up and listen - I know that personally. But I think your steps need a bit more clarification and rewriting, as it seems like I'm not the only one confused in this thread.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I see, yes. I can clarify steps two and three. There is a lot of room for misinterpretation there.

Step two is supposed to be simple. It is about just turning off your mind voice. An extension of step one. But extended to any random thoughts that pop up.

Step three is far more important. Trying to stop talking and thinking is an activity that requires attention. That has to stop. All activity that requires attention needs to stop so you can relax properly and wait properly. If you consider step three an activity, this is opposite the purpose of step three.

No, step three needs to be interpreted literally. "stop trying".

Will consider some possible rewrites.

Huh look at that, it almost feels my absence of disbelief mindset is spreading. Good to see someone else spread the word about not outright rejecting and accepting, just observing for later deductions when you have enough information.

I can't see anything that sticks out badly, so I'll accept this for guides. The title confuses me a little though: to summon what?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

[Tri] We think what is here right now is good. There are only two things we think need to be fixed, though one of them may not need fixing and just an explanation. And these aren't show stoppers. So, we approve for guides. Overall, this is a useful thing to do in addition to everything else. Just listening sometimes and seeing what happens without expecting anything in particular.

First item is a small thing. Gendered pronouns. Not all tulpas are female (and similarly, not all are male either). Singular they or she/he or he/she are perfectly fine. Small nitpick.

Second thing

The title confuses me a little though: to summon what?

We're similarly confused and wondering if the guide needs a retitle.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

First item is a small thing. Gendered pronouns. Not all tulpas are female (and similarly, not all are male either).

Wow, I didn't even notice that. But actually, here, Tulpa said her because he was referring to his host. Still, always best to avoid gendered pronouns in this stuff, I usually catch that.

Looking at it, definitely change or explain the summoning thing. When I first read it I took it to mean summoning your tulpa to the mindspace as you might in a lucid dream. But, it really shouldn't be that up to interpretation, and since it's a guide it could potentially confuse someone.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Summon another mindform who has fallen asleep or something.

Nah, I used her because of the unpopularity of the use of them for subjects of unknown gender, and I did not want to break the brains of my audience. But I'm not using normative him.

Approved for guides? This was supposed to be a trick or tip.

Eh, "they" is pretty much accepted - much better than the furry-esque "xe"s and stuff. But as that's the best we got for an English pronoun without a gender, I don't really mind what you use.

If you wanted it to be put itno tips and tricks, then you shouldn't have written it like a guide! How you write it has more to do with where it goes - and it doesn't matter all too much. I hope? Does it matter to you?

I do suggest rewording the title then, if that is what you mean. I did not get that implication from it at all. You can try to explain the title in the thread all you want, but if it's confusing enough for people to not even know what they're clicking on, well...