Thread Titles and Repeat Threads

Kiahdaj

We have finally gotten around to taking an official stance on a couple more issues that we have had for a while.

First of all, we encourage everyone to make thread titles in the on-topic boards that make the topic of said thread clear to the viewer. Threads with ambiguous titles such as "Help!", or "I have a question" make it difficult for other users to search for these threads in the future. A user should be able to at least tell the subject of a thread without having to enter and read it.

Moderators will start to edit the titles of offending threads into something more clear. The creator of the thread is welcome to tweak this changed title, so long as it is still clear what the topic of the thread is.

Next, so as to promote the use of the search function and reading resources such as guides and the FAQ before asking questions, moderators will begin to lock (or merge, depending on the thread in question) threads which are practically identical to those made in the past. Each lock will be accompanied by a link to previous threads that answer the question being asked.

Questions that have their own unique variables and considerations, which cannot be answered with a generic FAQ or past thread, will not be affected.

Users should feel free to reply with links to previous threads (or the FAQ) on their own. That would be a great help.

Users who see threads which violate either of these things are encouraged to report them, so they can be more quickly sorted out by the staff.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

ok well you guys didn't do this in the past cus you thought it'd be too hard to actually find the old threads, so good luck with that!

So, short/just-started threads will be locked with a link and long/informational threads will be merged back into the old ones, right? Sounds good to me

Becauuuuse opinions and stuff change around here over the years.. we always encouraged not worrying about if your thread already was covered in the past or something. It helps keep the forum alive, and people being afraid to create threads helps kill it. So, you guys should try and not be too scary when you lock/merge threads OK? Be like, "This question was covered in the past; you can read past answers and discuss further [link]here[/link]" or something. Don't just be like "Your Thread = Dead" and make people feel like they broke a rule or somethin. Obviously lotsa new members won't know their questions have been covered before or just can't find them. So we gotta be nice about it. But the older members like us should be able to help remembering relevant threads. So this could work out well!

Are we gonna merge any duplicate-both-important-info threads retroactively?

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

When threads are locked they should be locked with a post that has a link to an already existing thread to use, that way the user can just post whatever they wanted to in the different spot. Otherwise seeing their thread locked might not make them want to try and search and post elsewhere

We're all gonna make it brah.

Each lock will be accompanied by a link to previous threads that answer the question being asked.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

So, short/just-started threads will be locked with a link and long/informational threads will be merged back into the old ones, right? Sounds good to me

Basically, threads which don't have any unique value to them would end up locked, and anything worth its own discussion, or that adds to a previous one would be left alone or merged, respectively. As a general rule.

Becauuuuse opinions and stuff change around here over the years.. we always encouraged not worrying about if your thread already was covered in the past or something.

I haven't seen much significant change of general opinion over the years, besides near the very beginning, but if it happens, I would like to think it goes without saying that our operations will be adjusted accordingly, so as to not stifle any legitimate changes of mindset or new ideas.

It helps keep the forum alive, and people being afraid to create threads helps kill it. So, you guys should try and not be too scary when you lock/merge threads OK? Be like, "This question was covered in the past; you can read past answers and discuss further [link]here[/link]" or something. Don't just be like "Your Thread = Dead" and make people feel like they broke a rule or somethin.

I definitely agree with this. We don't want to discourage the making of new threads in general, just the ones that are carbon copies of others, or questions that can be answered with 10 minutes of reading.

But the older members like us should be able to help remembering relevant threads. So this could work out well!

Yeah, with the "imperfections" of the search system, it can sometimes be difficult to find specific threads that you know exist. I remember sushi helping me find a thread I was thinking of that I couldn't find, simply because I used the wrong key words.

Are we gonna merge any duplicate-both-important-info threads retroactively?

I can't say how much cleaning we'll be doing of past threads. I think it is likely that we will end up dealing with them as they resurface, or become relevant in some other way. If there are any ones in particular anyone has in mind

in other words, if you want to find them for us

, feel free to report them, and we'll deal with them.

There goes my hobby of replying to every thread in questions and answers.

And yes, if you want, you can make a game of trying to find the threads to link before a mod gets around to it. It would sure make our jobs easier. And there's also nothing wrong with summing up the general point of the answers. We just don't want to encourage too much repeated discussion that's not going to have anything new. If you did have something novel and insightful to say, you might just say it in the thread you end up linking to.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I suggest if any members find older relevant threads they should link to them themselves. Then a moderator only has to post to say "locked as duplicate". If other members don't do that, then the moderators have to add a link in the final post as well.

My main concern is that a lot of older threads contain a lot of low value filler posts, with the really good answers mixed in, or near the end of the thread. This is not true of all threads, but I think sometimes it might be worth locking the older thread instead, if it is a longer read.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I agree, there have been so many "relevant" threads in the past that we ended up not linking to because like most of them were just.. not great quality posts in our opinion. I'd say go easy on the ancient threads, don't prioritize merging-into/locking-because-of old ones that don't do exactly what we're trying to do, provide good information quick. Like, in a thread from 2012 that survived up to 2014 about tulpa relationships or something, if the first 30 pages are just kinda.. eh.. then a new duplicate thread might end up being a better source of information than the old one.

Idk, whatever you wanna do with that. I'm not gonna react like people did to the progress reports/lounge rule, I know you guys don't enforce these things like nazis, and it'll probably definitely be okay however things go. It's just stuff to keep in mind I guess.

I agree with that concern. It's not all going to be enforced consistently, so we will ultimately try to do it however we think will be of most benefit, on a case-by-case basis.