Update to glossary

Fairweather

Sorry, my wording must be bad, Dr, because I didn't mean for it to come out so black and white, like it did, looking back at it, but it's all those casual ways versus the technical ways that make it so complicated, which is hopefully something that we can agree on.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone link to the wiki? I can't find it.

Here, quick link to the glossary.

Not quite true. You present it as if there's only the technical and casual definitions on how people use it, but in truth there are many casual ways. That's generally what causes the problem.

Yep. We can't have every single definition ever because then it's an even bigger mess. And really, most of these terms have an easy definition but people want to redefine them because they want to be able to do or be something they are not.

Someone might use your for you're, but that doesn't mean it means the same thing or should have the definition in a dictionary. Someone might use sentient to mean sapient, but those too have different meanings. Someone might use bemused to mean amused, but it does not mean that. Sometimes people just use words wrong. Or use alternative facts, I think that's the trendy term for it.

And let's not get started on how "literally" can now literally (hah) be used to mean figuratively. This is what you get when you start adding brain drain of the masses to dictionary definitions. Having a word mean the complete opposite, this sure is a time to be alive.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

[Hail] Definitions are always tricky, and glossaries more so.

Tulpa.info's glossary seems to have aimed for concise, with the essential terms and not much more. This has a number of benefits. It fits the purpose of this community, which is specialized in tulpamancy only. Since it has been mentioned already by someone, tulpa.io has a lot more different terms because it is specialized in "tulpamancy as part of general plurality" which is a very different focus, and thus requires additional terms from outside of tulpamancy. A community's focus should inform its glossaries, which is why they two have different focuses.

As far as the definitions in the glossary here, it overall is pretty good. There are only five issues we can see, which are

1. Many of the terms lack symmetry in their wording, implying that the term only applies when a host or tulpa does it but not when the other does. Take possession. It says "When a tulpa controls part or all of their host body." But it is also possession if a tulpa and a host have switched and then the host controls the body in the same way at some later point. Another example is puppetting/parrotting. A tulpa can puppet/parrot another tulpa, and sometimes even a host (kind of the name of the game with one style of eclipsing).
  2. Possession needs to indicate that whoever was controlling the body before hasn't left yet. One possibility is to change it to "When someone controls part or all of their body while the previous controller is still attached."
  3. Switching could be more specific on "tulpa-like state" to say that the previous controller goes into wonderland.
  4. Possibly add the term "eclipsing". It is term unique to tulpamancy communities and it is used quite often, so it might be the one thing we would suggest adding.
  5. Host needs to be specific that hosts are non-tulpas who have created or been responsible for tulpas. Handles most of the ambiguities with regards to the tulpamancy definition of it, and this includes the situation where other non-created later arrivals (splits, endogenic members, etc.) have created tulpas.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

You say eclipsing is unique to tulpa communities, but I could swear I've seen it in other plural glossaries. I must have been dreaming. There, it was defined as when one person "stands behind" another and influences the person in front.

I've also seen system all over the place recently. We really don't have another term for this at this time.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I think system is just a plurality term overall. Of course we use it here, even if it's not specifically for tulpas. I think our glossary should have it, because it's a weird word that people planning to be part of this community will need to know. Even if it's not 100% tulpa-only in its use, it's definitely used here too, and that's really all the reason we need to define it for new members right?

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

We are a tulpa community, not a plurality community. Therefore we want to focus on tulpa terms and not plurality/whatever terms. We're also tulpa.info and not the other tulpa communities: we want to be ourselves, not everything else. Concise, simple. That's the aim. Is there a term we desperately need that is lacking from this community? Then you consider adopting a term. We don't want to add terms because "other communities use them" or "this other community has it in their glossary".

System is completely unnecessary as a term and only smells of special snowflake syndrome. "I too want to have a fancy system name!" "I am so different compared to these people who don't have other people in their heads!" Can't we just be people and not something that sounds so unorganic and ridiculous? Like we were supposed to be that step of completely normal people being interested in something like this and making it sound like there was something scientific and serious behind it. "System" does not sound serious. It sounds childish and like pretend.

You say eclipsing is unique to tulpa communities, but I could swear I've seen it in other plural glossaries. I must have been dreaming. There, it was defined as when one person "stands behind" another and influences the person in front.

You might have seen it in other communities. However, it was a term coined by a tulpa.info member (#.info, really, they were more active in the IRC than on the forum at the time) so it is an adopted term in that case. I never quite understood the exact definition, but I can try to dig around for the definition the creator used. I can remember them posting a thing explaining it, so it might still be around somewhere.

If you see switching and possession in other communities, they most likely adopted those terms from us, too. A lot of other communities dealing with multiple people in one body haven't really had better words than fronting/co-fronting for these kinds of these.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

The main reason for the word system is a linguistic problem, since tulpas are considered people. It sounds weird to say a person made out of people. So you say a system made out of people.

You might have seen it in other communities. However, it was a term coined by a tulpa.info member (#.info, really, they were more active in the IRC than on the forum at the time) so it is an adopted term in that case. I never quite understood the exact definition, but I can try to dig around for the definition the creator used. I can remember them posting a thing explaining it, so it might still be around somewhere.

Yeah, I met them. They told me they regretted ever coining the word. Nonetheless, I find the term useful for describing one of the modes of body control that does not fit the other terms.

On switching, you are incorrect. That is a term from the fifties, out of psychology. I think you are 100% correct about possession.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

"System" does not sound serious. It sounds childish and like pretend.

I don't see how this has any reason to be mentioned when we have terms like "wonderland", "forcing", etc.

"My lover's got humour,

She's the giggle at a funeral,

Knows everybody's disapproval,

I should've worshipped her sooner."

Host to Samuel, RavenIvy, and Olivia.

CERCA TROVA