Update to glossary

Fairweather

Edit: Ninja'd Sands off the page https://community.tulpa.info/thread-update-to-glossary?pid=185227#pid185227

If your focus is on being an introduction to tulpamancy (and the concept of plurality in general, lest "crazy special snowflakes" wouldn't be a problem), and not defining the words people are likely to see while participating in the community, I guess we can leave out stuff like 'system'. I suppose not trying to strike a balance has its own appeal. Tulpa.io's terminologies page definitely includes all common forms of crazy, so it can serve as the extensive cross-community glossary, while Tulpa.info's serves less as a community introduction and more of a concept introduction. As in, our glossary is focused towards explaining what tulpas are about and what they can do, not about defining all the words the community uses. It's a different kind of glossary. I can accept that!

Come on guys, read this X:

There's no point in having two glossaries, one of which just has a few less terms than the other. I like Sands' idea of the tulpa.info glossary being more educational/learn-about-tulpas oriented than a guide to the community, because they really are two different levels of weirdness. Like, linking a skeptic the tulpa.io glossary could very well sway their opinion to "Yep, these guys are crazies" when they see all the weird stuff that is nonetheless sometimes used. But if we keep it simple, it's a good entry point, and if someone wants to get involved with the community (this isn't a given, remember) they obviously have a lot more to learn and can be directed to the tulpa.io one.

Heck, our glossary should have a link to tulpa.io's glossary somewhere like "For an extended list of terminologies used in other related communities, click here" or something. I like that idea.

Also,

Seems like you're injecting your own opinion into this a little too much.

Sands is part of the Guide Approval Team, aka the people who go over all content to make sure it's adequately written and suitable for our Guides section. So this is pretty much his job, even if it's not specifically for a guide.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is strong enough to say that the glossary should only list words used by forum members of this community. All terms discussed so far have been used on this forum.

Rather, I'd say the glossary needs to contain any term used in guides or tips/tricks sections of the forum. Any such term not found in a standard dictionary, or where the words use varies from the normal. For it is these documents where the new users must be familiar with the way we talk.

I mean, who cares if new users get confused about someone talking about their head ghost in a different forum section?

Oh, I forgot that both plural and multiple can act as synonyms for system. They have differing meaning from each other, but I can never remember the details. Something about medians. I still think we need at least one of these terms to identify the resultant collective.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I do agree with Reisen. And I think tulpa001 might be saying the same thing, in case you're feeling left out that I don't agree with you?

Oh, I forgot that both plural and multiple can act as synonyms for system. They have differing meaning from each other, but I can never remember the details. Something about medians.

Oh yeah it gets confusing, doesn't it. Saw their charts once and cried myself to sleep. Probably.

I still think we need at least one of these terms to identify the resultant collective.

This I think I disagree with.

If the term is "system", I find that very dehumanizing. The rest of these points should also work for the other terms.

In a community about being many people in a single body, why do we want to lump all these different people into a single group? I think that gives people the wrong idea, that we should stick together and be one despite being many. Every time I have been in a debate with the people who are very pro "system" and have their own "systems", all members of the "system" will take part in the debate from the exact same angle with the exact same opinions. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe they weren't tuppers and it was just roleplaying. Or maybe this idea of being one makes people think they should be one and is a bad mindset that doesn't allow for much independence?

Us and them. Those of us sharing our minds with others are "this" and those who don't are "that". The great thing about early tulpa.info when there were just a handful of people with actual vocal tulpas and the rest of us were still trying to get there, it never felt like there was a gap between us no matter if we had tuppers or not. There were no words to separate us. I understand that the other communities are older and probably had a rougher time with "outsiders", so maybe they wanted that kind of a wall. But do we?

Then there's the special snowflakes who just want a fancy word to describe themselves just because. That's pretty silly. Especially silly are system names (oh no we went back to "system") that remind me of people being in "guilds" in games that did not have a guild system. Sounds like kids playing make believe, you know?

The advantage is that sometimes it'll be easier to call this lump of people. Is it worth it?

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

You know why we have a system name? It's because we are not out as plural. The system name is the one we use in public. Our individual names we only use here or in confidence.

I do know that we don't have exactly the same perspective on this argument. My host is not interested enough to participate.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

You could use nicknames to hide your identity. Like, I know this might be a surprise to some but I'm not called Sands in real life? Don't tell anyone though okay this was a secret I am going to tell only you.

A lot of tuppers go by their real (uh well they don't exactly have birth certificates with those names but you know), but they don't have to! They could even have like 5 internet handles for every one and never use the same one in the same place. Internet makes us anonymous if we so wish and I think that's great.

Also uh are you using the same "system name" here and in other places while you're also telling your names here while keeping them secret in other places? Because someone could find out if you do share information and connect it with a "system name" or something.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

To be honest I don't see system as being such a big deal. I just would like a word for if I was referring to both a host and all their tulpas with one or two words, which makes it easier for typing out in any kind of report or simple guides.

We do have system name, LostOne, but it's not like that is a big deal. It's just a group name, to indicate we are in the same body. I don't know if that makes me pro-system or not, but I do want some sort of term to indicate everyone in one body for easier use of guides where both the host and tulpas are doing whatever.

Hi, I am Sam. LostOne's (Or Kelly's) tulpa, first one, started back March 16th of 2016. - https://community.tulpa.info/user-lostone

I just like "system" because it lets me refer to the others in our body. Of course we're our own people, but saying "system" hurts our independence is like saying "family" does the same. They're my family too, but I think replacing system with family (for us specifically) would come off as weird. I want a word to refer to us collectively as because we're close as close can be, and we don't strive to separate ourselves from each other. Some tulpas do, and I could see them very much not wanting to use the word system, but I dunno. The others in our mind, the others in our body... Those just sound dehumanizing to me. I know that's ironic. When you say system there's a disconnect where you just know you're referring to the other tulpas/host in your mind. When you say body or mind, it makes it feel like they're taking a real back-seat, to me at least, like "The others in our body feel the same way" is creepy and "The others in our mind feel the same way" is less so but still a little weird. But I could also see how it could not seem that way to some people.

While I'm looking at those two words from this perspective, you're looking at "system" from a dehumanizing-computer sort of perspective. To me though it just reminds me of "immune system" or the other systems in the body, even the body as a whole. I see "system" from a biological place, not a computer one. Buuuut I see exactly why one might not. So I guess I agree some people will see it as dehumanizing as treating themselves like a computer. And "The others in our mind" doesn't sound that bad to me. But I still prefer to say system. Only because it's already in common use, else I would be self-conscious about people reading it like we consider ourselves a computer, but it is and already seems normal to a lot of people so...

Will use whichever depending on the situation I suppose. Also, it's a given we don't personally like the idea of "system names" right? The word system doesn't include having system names, for us.

That was completely unrelated to the glossary though. System is too much, even without the specific computer connotations, to introduce someone to straight away. They just want to know "Tulpa" and "Host" and leave it at that. The idea of what to refer to your collective selves (which would namely be "the body" I guess) as only really comes up when participating in the community.

Speaking of, you guys keep saying "used in the community", but I'm saying our glossary should be less a community intro (leave that more complete and slightly weird glossary up to tulpa.io, maybe link it somewhere like at the bottom of ours), and more a tulpamancy intro. I'll say again, it's not a given at all that everyone who ends up on the actual Tulpa.info site or generally browsing to learn about tulpas real quick ends up participating in the community. This is the internet and most people aren't inclined to take something like this that seriously, they just wanna read about it real quick. So our glossary, since we're Tulpa.info first and community.tulpa.info second, should be a first-impressions glossary to teach the basics. Basics that are used in the community of course, but not an intro to the community as a whole. We should really link to an "extended community terminologies" list at the bottom of ours for that.

Also on the same note as "system", @Sands I guess since he's the only one really mentioning it, I'm looking at tulpamancy purely as a form of the word tulpa to use as an act (for "tulpa-ing"), not as an act of divination or magic or whatever. And obviously since some people come into this already thinking we're crazy, I could see them getting the wrong impression from tulpamancy too. It's just a useful word, but not one I mean to take seriously, okay?

I cannot get over the term "shard-feeding" on tulpa.io's glossary though, it sounds so... gross. :|

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

System: Brain family

Tulpamancy: tuppermaking

Soulbond: mistake

Wonderland: alternate dimension

Forcing: The intentional rewriting of neurons in order to create and better accommodate multiple consciousnesses

Guys, I don't like the word "host." Let's stop using it and get angry at people who disagree with me.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

[Tri] We look at it like this. When you go to the store to buy a dictionary, you have a range of choices from the compact with just the most common words with the most common usages to the 20 kg tome that has most words and most usages. Each has a different use and in fact one might have more than one kind (and in fact, dictionary makers make more than one kind). Tulpa.info being the compact most common words and usages in this community dictionary is a decent choice. Generally, dictionaries give references to the other types of dictionaries by the same publisher, so it might also be useful to link to a few more out there rather than making the tulpa.info glossary considerably bigger.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

Guys, I don't like the word "host." Let's stop using it and get angry at people who disagree with me.

Host is a traditional tulpa term and occurs far too often on the site - in the information on tulpa.info itself - to leave out, despite being weird. Wonderland might just be weird enough to need a definition because of how often it's used, despite there being plausible alternatives. System however is the type of word that only becomes relevant when participating in the community, while someone could create a tulpa alone (ie with guides) or with their small circle of friends using these other words as descriptors for the practices themselves. I guess.

I don't know, I said what I think, I don't want to argue for anyone anymore >_<

I'm fine with anything you've all suggested..

I like your suggestions though Beatles, pretty solid