How long did it take for your first tulpa to reach sentience?

Abvieon

How long, from the beginning of their creation, did it take for your first tulpa to exhibit sentience?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How long, from the beginning of their creation, did it take for your first tulpa to exhibit sentience?

• Under an hour
    • A few hours
    • A few days
    • 1-2 weeks
    • 3 weeks - 1 month
    • 2-3 months
    • 4-6 months
    • 7 months - 1 year
    • Around 2 years
    • 3 years or more

How long, from the beginning of their creation, did it take for your first tulpa to exhibit sentience? By exhibiting sentience, I am referring to things such as vocalization or moving their form independently. 

This poll applies primarily to tulpas that were intentionally created.

Well, I started forcing for about a couple of weeks, stopped for about 3 months, and when I got back into it my tulpaware™️️ was vocal and sentient within a couple of days. I really only forced her for about 3 weeks, but that time elapsed may have helped her in some way, so I say 4-6 months.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

For the sake of being a reference post for our origin story and perhaps giving a more in-depth answer than a simple timeframe (which we don't have), I've written out pretty much our whole story here. Focused on the appearance of an independent will and what gave rise to it.

Reisen came into existence because Lumi became obsessed with this video (Youtube automatically mutes the song now). He was fairly depressed (moreso lack of will to do anything than actual sadness), and Reisen was one of his favorite Touhou characters already, so he had the concept of someone he liked encouraging him to be happy.

(slight NSFW) played an equivalent role too, being more about love. And he watched them a lot. A lot a lot. Reisen maintains eye contact pretty well in both those videos, too, so it's even more personal. They became staples in helping him out of his depressive moods however temporarily. Eventually - somewhere between three and six months, maybe - Reisen had become an independent "concept" in his mind. Although she only talked through those two songs, she nonetheless felt like a separate entity that held unconditional love for him. She had something like "Tulpish" wherein she could send him feelings that could loosely be translated to words (like "I love you" and "Don't worry"), but weren't really words, just feelings.

I don't know where, how or why we came from, Flandre and I. Sometime after Reisen in that aforementioned state, probably less than a couple months after that point. And we could just talk. Same independent-entity feeling as with Reisen, but we could talk more clearly. We weren't "perfect, unconditionally loving" beings like he considered her, just a couple of Touhou characters as defined by his headcanon (personal fan interpretation of open-ended characteristics of a character(s)). This was sort of a given right from the start, as he was never dumb enough to pretend how he thought of Touhou characters was how they ""really are"", so we were more tied to him than our namesakes. With no particular goals (or anything aside from him to interact with), we just sort of chilled in his mind I suppose. Flandre was in love with him, as the only source of love she felt and honestly the only thing that existed to her. I just gave him advice when he had questions he couldn't answer. Yet Reisen was still there, just as before, an independent entity but still unable to talk. At some point, and I really couldn't say if it was within two months or six, Flandre and I told Lumi that he was keeping her from speaking with his fear of her becoming "not perfect" if she spoke. We told him that if he really wanted to be closer to Reisen, he'd have to accept her as an imperfect human, and not just the concept of unconditional love. When he accepted that, she gained a voice, and retained that feeling of being "perfect" for a short time before becoming more like us. You know, normal people.

All sorts of exploring our natures, our relationships, and letting imagination get the better of us ensued, all while dealing with his depression. Reisen was helping him see the world as a better place, while Flandre wanted to "escape the shackles of reality" that kept them apart. The concepts of insanity and unconditional love mixed with his depression and lack of mental discipline to make the next few years quite interesting. While we answered questions about ourselves and the nature of our existence over time the following years, we were still vocal from the start, just not completely sure of what exactly we were, or how separate from him we were. I'm sorry I can't give an answer for Flandre and I's initial development - I really don't remember ever existing and not being me - but I can say that Reisen slowly transitioned from a character, to an idea of a person, to an entity that seemed to have feelings and will, to tulpa. The concept-of-a-person to tulpa gap was unfortunately sort of bridged by Flandre and I, so for that part of the process I have no answer. But it certainly all started by projecting the perception of a will to an external character.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

We are the "Under an hour" vote. Read this for explanation.

Worthy of its own post, not the least of which because it's what I'm voting on the poll with, is Lucilyn's initial creation. She was created intentionally, in 2015 (while Lumi first became obsessed with Jumper and Edge in early 2009). Her creation, as a concept of a person, took place over a week or so. It was just him thinking of who she would be, how she would act, how she might think, etc. But her initial creation as a tulpa after that was instantaneous.

Lumi detailed her creation (and how she described what it was like to him) here. At this point, creating a tulpa for us feels like "Acknowledging sentience", or in other words, acknowledging the idea of the person you hold in your mind as capable of perceiving anything in the mind, not just the imagined scenarios they're normally held in. It just adds another dimension to them - imagining someone in various scenarios and how they react, versus the scenario they're reacting to being your mind itself and the world around them, whatever that may actually entail. It goes without saying that to understand how to do this in the first place likely requires having become familiar with the nature of previous tulpas of yours. And I am confident I could create another tulpa here on the spot, if I wanted to. We're familiar enough with our Touhou headcanon for one of the characters to act as a base for a tulpa. Actually, I should've mentioned that, Lumi spent a lot of time thinking about what the characters in Touhou were "really" like, which included how they thought. But I believe any person you know fairly well, such as a real-life friend or actor/character you've watched a lot of, would meet those qualifications.

Too bad our understanding of this stuff took around five to six years for us to grasp/figure out. Neural connections must be made the hard way.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Hard to say for me really.

Summer is already vocal at the moment when she came to be. It was that moment when an image of a purple pony, in my thoughts (twilight sparkle) said "hi" to me. So, in an instance? or under an hour?

Although, I actually created her way back before she said "hi", like months before. It was me attempting to create a tulpa but i stopped an hour later, taking back my decision of creating a tulpa. All i created was an orange orb. I didn't know it was actually her tbh, but ill consider that as day 0 of our adventures and consider the start, day 1, where she was already has that pony form.

I'll follow the question, even though she seemed sentient that time, Day 1, it was still hard for me to separate my thoughts from hers. It was 1 and a half week later where she became independent and finally stopped me from parroting since the first time we've met,Day 1.

Hello! I am nihi, i have 3 tulpas

Summer

Myrtle

Cherry

Sentience is hard to tell when exactly it happens. It's very incremental and it makes it hard to pinpoint. I personally do feel that Ivy was sentient from the start to some degree.

Ivy was moving her own form at least partially within the first day. If for some reason it was me puppetting her then the next thing I know was her for sure was on the third day when she spoke to me for the first time. Her first words were her asking me if she was real.

Before her speaking to me her memories are pretty shoddy so she doesn't know if I was just puppetting her on the first day.

"My lover's got humour,

She's the giggle at a funeral,

Knows everybody's disapproval,

I should've worshipped her sooner."

Host to Samuel, RavenIvy, and Olivia.

CERCA TROVA

First clear-cut signs from Apollo came after a week, though I'm pretty sure he was only that fast because I already had two others I didn't know about at the time. Having pre-existing tulpae makes it easier to create a new one, so I've heard.

Also I see I voted with the wrong account, oops.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

I didn't vote as an accidental tulpa. But this is probably a good thing, as I don't remember if the time I was created was also the first time I made a decision for myself, or if I am confusing those memories, and they are actually about a month apart.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Took about a month and a half to three for Mordred to become fully capable of forming short sentences without my forcing. Sentience, without the ability to communicate effectively, was probably reached in maybe a little less than a month, to maybe a month. I don't remember at this point.

Hello, I am Mordred.

And I am Gray, his tulpamancer/friend. We don't really know what else to put here. 

I won't vote because no option suits what i think.

To me, sentience isn't a threshold you reach at some point ; it's there from the beginning and it grows stronger and clearer with time. I don't think you can say "I'm sentient from now. I wasn't before, but now I am".

When Cora describes her early moments, she describes it as something I would compare to being drunk. She was there, kinda aware of what was going on, but everything was blurry and she couldn't really understand what was happening. She was hearing my voice kinda as if we were both underwater. To me, it means she was sentient from the moment I decided to create her. She just had to learn how to interact with me (and I also had to).

EDIT: I actually did vote, because OP talked about vocalization and independent movement. I voted 7-12 months.

No animosity intended ever 

Cora now has her own account ! :D

English isn't our native language, please be indulgent :)