A proposal for new terminology.

jean-luc

There's a forum rule against reaction images outside of the community area.

My bad! I was unaware. 

I'll brush up on the global rules again.

[align=right]The songs carried on and began to grow long as the moon watched it all from above

And the old ripened berries and the juniper fairies delivered their gifts and their love.[/align]

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought it was appropriate, but maybe that's just because it's not overused yet. I also thought this was in Forum Questions & Comments, like this one...

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I do not have anything against the current terminology. Personally everything seems fine to me. The only terminology that i do mind is "forcing". It seems like a psychic term, something from "star wars".

If i have to choose, i would happily exchange "forcing" to "exercise" or something similar to it, because you are working up your brain to conjure thought form, giving its traits/personality until they form it.

Hello! I am one of Nihi's Tulpas! It is very nice to meet you! :D

• 1 year later...

I do not have anything against the current terminology. Personally everything seems fine to me. The only terminology that i do mind is "forcing". It seems like a psychic term, something from "star wars".

If i have to choose, i would happily exchange "forcing" to "exercise" or something similar to it, because you are working up your brain to conjure thought form, giving its traits/personality until they form it.

I agree. Also, it sounds like an agressive word to my delecate ears.

I think "tulper" is to close to "tulpa", though I'll advocate a word without such a magickal connotation. I once tried to say "tulpa practitioner" but tripped over my tongue first. I think "tulpaforcing" isn't the devil, though. "Force" sounds like "work" to me, not like "THE Force" or anything. In my personal explanation of how tulpas work, the "forcing" refers to "forcing your brain to interpret another presence within it."

-J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

I think "Tulper" sounds too much like "Tupper", and considering that "Tulpa" can be replaced with "Human", the word "Tulper" to me sounds like "Humaner". I want to say "Tulpa birther" but that also sounds ridiculous. Maybe "Tulpa founder", but that can be taken too far in the solbonding direction. Someone on Discord said "Tulpa forcers" sounded like a power ranger's thing.

I wonder if somehow adding a Latin or Tibetan root or pre-fix to "Tulpa" would help, but I'm not clever enough with naming things to come up with something good.

I agree that "Wonderland" should be traded out for something like "Mind Scape" or possibly "Mind Palace", which was used by Benedict Cumberbatch in the new Sherlock Holmes series by BBC. This is one of those terms that seems to end up getting personalized, but needs a bland general term to describe the concept.

Unless there's a way to get away with calling forcing a mediation or hypnosis technique, I can't think of anything good for that term either. "Forcing" sounds like making someone do something against their will, and for this reason I wouldn't mind coming up with an alternative. Maybe "conditioning" or "training" are possible candidates, or a new word that has something to do with the first two.

Aside from switching and possession easily being confused (I get that switching came from the DID lingo, so I won't touch that), and someone please clarify that "Daemon" does not mean "Demon", which is what my host thought until learning what "Daemon" actually means.

And as a personal nit-pick, we need something to describe the thoughtform that is non-sentient, but can appear to be so, and is more elaborate ad complicated than a classic NPC. I call these guys "characters", but the terminology can change, and I want this term to sometimes be a synonym to "imaginary friend". Also, I want to stress this concept to tell new hosts that if they want to inflate their system population, they don't have to create new Tulpas and if they decide they don't care about their "characters", they are not sentient so no harm done.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Unless there's a way to get away with calling forcing a mediation or hypnosis technique, I can't think of anything good for that term either. "Forcing" sounds like making someone do something against their will, and for this reason I wouldn't mind coming up with an alternative. Maybe "conditioning" or "training" are possible candidates, or a new word that has something to do with the first two.

Forcing is interacting with your tulpa in any way, so if you call it training or conditioning it sounds like work, also forcing kind of makes sense, because your mind doesn't normally talk to itself, so you are forcing it to do something that is unnatural to most people

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Regardless of how silly 'tulpamancy' may seem to some, we may be stuck with it based on the plethora of times it is used. In any case, i'd like to have a word that at least shares its versatility.

I practice ...

I am a ...

The art of ...

... is a skill.

... is a tradition.

... takes many forms.

Tulpamancy, tulpamancer.

..., ...

Also, every time i hear, 'forcing' i think of the literal meaning, like you are forcing someone to do something. I personally don't like it.

I absolutely love your proposal, Jean-Luc. And not just because you're an extraordinary Captain. :) When I first started, I actually lightly protested the word forcing. Someone appeased my senses with the suggestion it could be interpreted as 'reinforcing.' Forcing to me sounded aggressive, as if I am 'forcing compelling enslaving' which is directly opposite of how I imagined, I was creating, inviting... As a latecomer to this, I was informed simply that these terms existed before me and that simply had to accept... I accepted that and went on my way, but still kind of irks me because of the fear that negative connotations in my head might influence my results... which is magical thinking and luckily didn't happen...

tulpamancy connects to magic, which seems to be in direct opposition to the ideals that as a whole, we are trending towards soft-scientific, psychological explanations for the phenomena.

Also, as a participant in a group, I would imagine we all have collective agreement and flexibility in our lexicons. getting consensus is the problem... will people break away from a group that goes rogue and renames things? Well, the debate here seems to suggest we could splinter and go in more than one way...

And as a personal nit-pick, we need something to describe the thoughtform that is non-sentient, but can appear to be so, and is more elaborate ad complicated than a classic NPC. I call these guys "characters", but the terminology can change, and I want this term to sometimes be a synonym to "imaginary friend". Also, I want to stress this concept to tell new hosts that if they want to inflate their system population, they don't have to create new Tulpas and if they decide they don't care about their "characters", they are not sentient so no harm done.

Pseudo-tulpa?

I use the term soulbond for this, unfortunately some have sentient soulbonds, and it has meta connotations to the word. Though mine act sentient, they're hollow feeling, empty of will, void of emotion. They do not question, or act alone, but if i let them, they could, and would probably be tulpas eventually. My tulpas came to me and expressed alien feelings and emotions on day one. This of course was a shock. My soulbonds don't do this.