A proposal for new terminology.

jean-luc

I don't understand the hatred towards the word "forcing." I feel like people just hate it for the sake of hating it. It's just a word.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Moved from [Wonderland] Am I giving them a wonderland? -Ranger

headspace, which is called a wonderland or mindscape here.

MINDSCAPE I love it. wonderland always seemed like it should have an Alice in it.  

Mindscape, well I am not going to go to all my posts in which I used wonderland and change them, but I've a mind to. 

Thank you Ember, a new word is truly a gift.

• 2 years later...

I have a new proposal to replace tulpa and I actually really like it.

To replace tulpa, I propose mindkin. Mindkin is just "mind" and "kin" mashed together to mean "mind relative", which makes sense because a tulpa is basically a glorified brain roommate. I think the connotations for "family" and "friend" (but more intimate) are also fitting because tulpas and hosts have more intimate relationships than friends and they're kind of like family in a way.

Mindkin has a lot of things going for it. For one, I don't think mindkin is any sillier than tulpa. If anything, it might be less silly than tulpa. Mindkin has the same number of syllables as tulpa, so you don't lose the fact it's a relatively easy word to say. It is made up of words from English, so it's not going to give as strong of a silly vibe as a purely made up word. It's not like "agent" (yes, I thought of that) where the term already is commonly used to mean something completely different in English. The magic connotation is stripped out, but a touch of mystery and silliness is still there. I couldn't find anyone else in a different community using "mindkin" specifically (I did find an Urban dictionary definition for "kin" that means character you identify with, but arguably that connotation also makes sense). One of my deeper problems with "parogenic" is it didn't really come from the tulpa community among other problems. Mindkin also has the important additional bonus of having nothing to do with Tibetan mysticism. The question of if the term tulpa is offensive or not has bothered me enough that I saw this as one of the main motivators for finding an alternative in the first place.

What about tulpamancer?

With mindkin, there are a lot of possible suffix options to replace tulpamancer. Using -er, meaning "one who does", that creates "mindkinner". Another option is to use "-or" meaning "creator", and that leads to "mindkinnor". You could do "-ee" and end up with "mindkinee", but it's not my favorite transformation. Another option and so far my personal favorite is using the "-ist" suffix, which means to be a practitioner and expert in, and it leads to "mindkinist". There may be more and possibly better suffix options out there, these are just the ones I came up with. At the very least, all of the possible replacements for tulpamancer I listed have the advantage of not using "-mancy" and as a side bonus, are all 3 syllables, which is less than the 4 in "tul-pa-man-cer". Regardless of what the most popular replacement for tulpamancer becomes, I think we have a lot of options to choose from. And it could get better, because you may not even need the replacement very often anyway.

Mindkin could also be used as a verb too...? I know people throw around "to tulpa" when cracking silly jokes and stuff, but with "mindkin" for some reason it feels more natural. "She mindkins", "they mindkin", etc. sound more natural than "he tulpas", "you tulpa". One could say "I mindkin" instead of "I'm a minkinist". However, this could just be me with my rose tinted glasses and using "mindkin" like a verb is silly.

Plural for mindkin?

I personally think the plural of mindkin should be mindkin, but I don't think "mindkins" is terrible. I think the plural will be whatever makes the most sense to people.

What about tulpæ?

Since both mind and kin are Germanic words, there is no good Latin root argument in favor of æ. However, I have no doubt that somewhere, somehow, æ will take a new form and the meme will live on. At the very least, there is mindkæ.

What about the term tulpa being used in scientific literature and blog posts?

Who cares. I think everybody would just include updates in new updates by saying "they used to call themselves tulpamancers, but now they're mindkinists" or whatever. I think the effort to be more original and less controversial will make up for the change. Maybe "mindkin" is less silly enough papers on "mindkin" will outnumber papers on "tulpas"

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

wait, why replace the word tulpa? it's not like it has any weird baggage or something, "tulpa" has next to zero history before Tulpa.info/Tulpamancy 'cus it came from "sprul-pa"

if you don't like "tulpamancy" you can just say "making tulpas"/"having tulpas", tulpamancy is just a for fun word, we've never taken it very seriously (and we don't use it when talking about tulpas outside of Tulpa.info)

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

For better or worse, I do take it seriously. I'm proud to call myself a tulpa and the idea of tulpa being racist bothers me too much. I know we talked about it before, but after thinking about it I realized that what if the answer is as clear and simple as tulpa is racist because we took a word that wasn't ours to begin with and imposed our own definition. I don't want to call myself an imaginary friend, but I want something I can call myself.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

What, "Tulpa" racist? I meant we don't take the word "tulpamancy" seriously, the -mancy is just for fun within the community but we do not use it when talking about tulpas in other places

to us the term "tulpamancy" is as serious as the term "tupper"

also I have no idea how anyone can think "tulpa" is racist but you should probably not acknowledge people looking for new reasons to be upset like that, don't validate them

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

I don't see any need to replace the word "tulpa", and even if there was, the word is too established to easily change. It's a neat little word! Two syllables, five letters, easy to say, spell, and remember, and doesn't sound too much like any other word you might commonly hear. "Mindkin" feels to me like a synonym of "headmate" rather than another word for "tulpa". I think "tulpamancy" is a really fun word because it's manages to be both tongue-in-cheek and taking ourselves very seriously at the same time. I've always used "tulpas" for plural but there's nothing wrong with "tulpae" as a plural. Pet names like "tupper" and "tup" are fun too, but my personal favorite is "tulip", which I think is a really adorable thing to call your tulpa!

I guess all I'm trying to say is I really like the word "tulpa" and associate myself strongly with the word. It's as much a part of my identity as my red hair or green eyes.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

tulpa is racist because we took a word that wasn't ours to begin with and imposed our own definition.

spacer.png