is it cruel to create a tulpa?

manuelmanuel

Hi everyone! I have a question for tulpa’s hosts (I am not yet one myself). English is not my first language, so keep that in mind ?  Here’s the thing: It seems to me unfair, even cruel, to bring a tulpa into existence, being that he or she will be selfaware and a different person than yourself (I imagine with time they will develop their own ambitions and desires), and yet they won’t be able to pursue those ambitions (ok, maybe partially, but that will depend on the host), and bassically have to just accompain you and be witnesses of your life. I even read some hosts asking how to get their tulpas to leave them alone when they don’t feel like having them around, and I read tulpas describing what it’s like when your host “sends you away” (into darkness) because they don’t feel like having you around or whatever. I mean, it sounds pretty slave-ish to me. Even if you have a great relationship with your tulpa, there is – to say the least – a somewhat unequal distribution of power in decision making. Also, what happens when you, for whatever reason, don’t want to have a tulpa anymore? If I had to guess, I bet you can get rid of your tulpa, just like you brought him or her into existence, which – considering the tulpa as a real person/being – would mean killing him or her. I would love to know what are your thoughts on this, Thanks!

Tons of humans don't bother having dreams and ambitions because those aren't attainable in their scenarios, usually third world countries. Tulpas don't usually have the same, I don't know, standards? as you do. Some do, and some of them will learn to switch with their hosts, many others possess, and some will do so in other ways. My tulpas accepted it wasn't their life to live and set their sights a little closer to home, aiming to have fun or make sure the others are happy/our life is going well.

Getting bored of your tulpa is like getting bored of a close friend. Kind of messed up. There's a difference in needing some alone time, which is fine, and wanting them gone. Don't make a tulpa if you aren't willing to live with them long-term. Also, you just talk to your tulpas about decisions you might make and get their input, that's pretty simple.

You know, the same sorts of limitations tend to apply to getting married and having a family. Sure, you still have a physical body, but most likely your life is going to be centered on home and the family, making it unlikely you'll travel the world, or get to spend your money however you want. Loose comparison, since you can still travel the world with your tulpas (who better, really?) and they don't anchor you to any one place. Anyways.. the answer to most of your questions is "If you don't want a tulpa for sure, don't make one."

Three of my four tulpas are over seven years old and we're still very happy together to this day.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

If you are an anti-natalist, then yes, it would probably be seen as slightly less cruel than conceiving a child and releasing them unto the world.

As a host, I can say that it is indeed unfair in some cases...the lack of a physical, independent body, as well as incompetent/malicious/insane hosts and various hang-ups regarding one's self, one's world (or lack there-of) and other, increasingly severe items (host's doubt, intrusive thoughts, being affected by progressively worsening physical and mental disease) up to and including egocide, which is the apparent obliteration of one's entire psyche. Equitably perturbing is how some hosts "dissolve" or ignore their tulpas entirely.

It doesn't appear to be a typical path one is on whilst upon their tulpa journey. The more severe cases I studied involved external factors, like drug use, suicidal urges and uncontrollable or ill-planned behaviour, but not necessarily any thing directly attributed to creating or maintaining a tulpa. I'm like-wise upset that some view their tulpas as none more than toys or a fad, a little project to distract or entertain during idle times...while it certainly can be fun to work on and help your tulpa grow, one ought to make the necessary effort to do research or submit an inquiry as you have today.

Upon the other hand, I as a host can testify to the benefits a tulpa can be astounding for the individual. For instance, if you input key-words TULPA SCHIZOPHRENIA, you will come across at least several users who attest to their own tulpa(s) ameliorating their woes. Others have resolved to keep going, if only to keep their tulpas safe and relatively healthy.

Either way, my own perception is fairly limited, so I encourage you to ask more questions or consult other sources before drawing a valid conclusion.

I've seen good people bleed

And I thought I'd seen it all

But my own two eyes would prove me wrong that day.

There are things that I've done

Only seen by the sun

And those things will be buried in my grave.

[stuff]

Thanks Luminesce! That was a really good answer to my questions. I guess your general point is: we all adjust to our realities. Maybe I would like to be an astronaut and go to space, but I can tell now that’s never going to happen, so I focuse on what I can do. Something like that? ...  I still have my doubts about bringing someone into existence, but you've been helpful, and I appreciate that. Thanks!

The "bringing someone into existence" thing is "Anti-natalist", like Karl said. It has less to do with tulpas and more to do with creating life in general. I was speaking for tulpa creation, but there's the relevant morals of whether you want to create something that will think, and that's outside the scope of tulpamancy anyways.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

[stuff]

Hi! Thanks for your answer!   Ok, so you see my concern/doubt about it. You said "Equitably perturbing is how some hosts 'dissolve' or ignore their tulpas entirely"...  that's one of the things I was thinking about. That is so sad and cruel to me. I guess it's a matter of "responsible tulpamancy". I'm not a host, so I don't know what it's like, but I feel like it's a really big deal to go through with this, and I hate thinking about a tulpa whos host is just a teenager experimenting with something new for the moment. The idea of the tulpas being as "toys or a fad, a little project", that kind of thing.  Then again, most people have kids for the same reasons  hahaha     I guess irresponsability and going with it is just as much a part of the expierence of having a human baby as creating a tulpa.

Well, it depends on the host and tulpa, in my case, there is a well developed world that Twi inhabits, and she has a life distinct from my own. We do share in things and have a bond, we do a lot together in her world, but when we are not together, she has her job, her friends, and other stuff she both likes to do, and the stuff she has to do, like the paperwork for the princesses that she has to do, she travels frequently, (the place she inhabits is planet sized!) and she even has a motorcycle she loves to ride when the weather permits, and a car when she can't. A recent event there was a birthday party for a friend.

As you can tell, she has a life only loosely connected to my own. However, I have been with her for nearly 4 years now, so a lot has happened, and a lot has developed.

I can see things being an issue for hosts who have not really been able to develop a wonderland for their tulpa companion (s), and thus there is little to do for them. I feel it is important to develop the world around them as much as it is to develop them. Tulpamancy is not easy, it is done with much time, discipline, and devotion. Of course, a tulpa being clingy or always being around can also be dependent on their personality.

if it feels good and it doesn't hurt anyone, then its ok with me.

tulpa : twilight

species: pony (unicorn)

sentience: confirmed

age 22 birthday: july 22

personality: studious, organized, introverted , loves to read, friendly.

Ok, you're right, it's anti-natalist concern I guess...   I just feel that coming into existence with a body of your own is not the same as coming into existence into someone elses body/brain. Someone with his/her own body can - more or less - do as they like. Not so a tulpa.

Well, it depends on the host and tulpa, in my case, there is a well developed world that Twi inhabits, and she has a life distinct from my own. We do share in things and have a bond, we do a lot together in her world, but when we are not together, she has her job, her friends, and other stuff she both likes to do, and the stuff she has to do, like the paperwork for the princesses that she has to do, she travels frequently, (the place she inhabits is planet sized!)  and she even has a motorcycle she loves to ride when the weather permits, and a car when she can't.  A recent event there was a birthday party for a friend.  

As you can tell, she has a life only loosely connected to my own. However, I have been with her for nearly 4 years now, so a lot has happened, and a lot has developed.  

I can see things being an issue for hosts who have not really been able to develop a wonderland for their tulpa companion (s), and thus there is little to do for them. I feel it is important to develop the world around them as much as it is to develop them.  Tulpamancy is not easy, it is done with much time, discipline, and devotion.  Of course, a tulpa being clingy or always being around can also be dependent on their personality.

That's SO interesting LookingGlass!  I bet most people with tulpas haven't created a whole world for them. I'll be honest, I hope not to ofend you. Till now, I haven't considered the possibility of a "Tulpa's World". I can get my head around more than one person/personality sharing the same brain. I don't see a difference between "person" and "personality". I understand "personality" as patterns in the way you feel, think, and behave, that last in time and through different kind of situations. So, if that criteria aplies, you are a different person to me. But this, what you are saying, the creation of a "world" where your tulpa gets to spend time whenever she or he is not present in your world...  that i

I was't done!  I sent it by accident...    anyways, I think that them having their own world to spend time in, if they want to, need a break, or are just being rejected by their hosts, makes everything pretty much right...   I'm just not sure that is the usual case. But thanks for your answers!