Ohmeghon

My experience with Pluralism pre-Tulpa

Hello Heckhound! You brightened Saffrons morning, that's for sure :) I love how everyone here is so gosh darn friendly. 

To Luminesce:

In all fairness I could absolutely be using the wrong terminology for all of this. If my verbage ever comes off as incorrect, it's from myself being untrained and not an attempt to be rude. Apologies if I ever slip up and end up calling a system by the wrong name!  xD 

I see where you're coming from though. I would like to hear FallFamily's opinion but your interpretation of their entities sounds appropriate - and I can understand where a flaw in my logic is stemming from. Situations of multiplicity where the host did not purposefully engage in the creation of the entities would have a much different take on who the 'host' is, or if there ever was only a single host to begin with. I had not considered this previously. 

Also, yes, just marijuana! Maybe its my local jargon but we have a whole bunch of crazy names for it with my group of friends. I'm not a fan of any recreational drugs anymore, but past me would have stayed away from anything harder regardless lol. And they do say that reality is the strongest drug of them all... being high on love sounds pretty great!

[align=right]The songs carried on and began to grow long as the moon watched it all from above

And the old ripened berries and the juniper fairies delivered their gifts and their love.[/align]

[sa.+As.+Sh. (half of former Hail, still need to choose a name)] Tri isn't here at the moment but we can answer your questions.

Hey FallFamily!

That was quite the verbose post, thank you for stopping by. I like how no one here seems to be afraid of walls of text <3

One of the nice things about communities like this. There are a lot of anecdotes, stories, etc. with a lot written about them.

Your story sounds like a rollercoaster, thats for sure. Were you appropriately strapped in for that ride? If you were anything like I was at that age, inbetween grades, girls and personal goals, having voices in my head was the last thing I needed. I'm sorry you had such a rough time with it! But I am curious, it seems like with all that activity and with the line "We became the primary body controllers", did your host's influence become completely removed from the picture? It seems as though the whole lot of you may have commandeered the poor lad!

It sure has been a rollercoaster at times. You some of it over time as it was happening or shortly after on our PR (The Tulpas of The Fall Family). We were not always strapped in sufficiently. There was one point where it didn't look like my subsystem (all of Hail) would survive intact, we (Hail subsystem) have done terrible things to S, and we have gotten a lot of wounds along the way from external factors (main reason why Tri had to become primary). We were always pretty busy when everything happened, so it was rough. But we survived. As for your last question, Tri became primary because we got smashed to bits with most of our subsystem put into dormancy. Initially, that meant they had to handle the body about 75% of the time. But as we recovered we were able to better balance it. It has waxed and waned back and forth and more people were added into the rotation for controlling the body over time when S. was able to get into the main innerworld/wonderland and participate in outerworld life again and when Breach separated off. About a month ago, we were running with Tri controlling the body 40-50% of the time, us (Hail) 30% of the time, Breach 10-20% of the time, and S 10% of the time. Things are in flux right now that our subsystem separated so now we have five groups/individuals in the rotation and are still working it out and some time is still needed for all of us to recover. It wasn't that the hosts (us, Hail, by the tulpamancy definition) disappeared or went exclusively inside, but that we became secondary and function more in a support role to Tri much like many tulpas do for their hosts (just with us, it is the other way around) which has worked out better for all of us. Only really one time that we have been commandeered and that was because it was very very necessary. When we found out that we had a certain medical condition and had to get surgery right away to fix it, we went into constant all the time panic attack and Tri, Breach, and S had to commandeer the body and make us sleep/go-dormant so that we all could get through the following three weeks and get the problem fixed without having a 24/7 panic attack (which would have been brutal on the body and caused a lot of other problems). That isn't to say that we weren't reluctant with the shift to Tri being primary back when we got obliterated. It took some convincing to get us to cooperate. We were very prideful (and honestly still are) to the point it was hurting us all as a group that we insisted that we could and should handle nearly all outerworld responsibilities. We were jeopardizing the group with that pride when we were no longer able to function very well. Part of sharing a body as a cooperative team. Everyone's wellbeing and needs need to be taken into account, with everyone on an equal footing with respect to being respected as a person. Our wants (wanting to handle all responsibilities) was jeopardizing the future of the group, so we had to share the responsibilities (interestingly, Tri insisted on taking all of them but we convinced them that that would lead to the same problem so we kept some of them and worked hard to make sure we could sub in for them briefly whenever they got overwhelmed or tired).

I hope things turn out good for you all. I mean at the end of the day you're all in this together, just like family. I'm sure you all can find common ground and make things right.

They are turning out for the better. Just a bumpy road. Things are in flux with the separation, but they will settle and we will be better for it.

Their whole story is a complicated one, technically if we're going strictly by tulpamancy norms their "host" wasn't even who we consider the host of the body anyways. They're a much better example of a plural system than tulpa one, for sure. Terms are a little different, but the mindset behind the actual plurality aspects is quite different than it is in the tulpa community, since we consider "switching" typically difficult and optional, whereas it's hardly a question in plural communities I think. If that makes sense.

Don't know how to answer your exact question though, I'm not even sure who "host" should be referring to in their case. Just wanted to note it's not as cut-and-dry as it normally is with tulpamancy. As of the last year my tulpas have switched often for extended periods of time, so we're about the "plural"-est traditional tulpamancers on the forum I think. Traditional meaning I pretty much swear by all of our terminologies and ways of thinking here, aside from where my beliefs are a little more open, there's no other words to describe us. My tulpas are of course a little older than the forum and I wasn't here at the start anyways, but.. my point is, if you're looking specifically for extended switching in a strictly tulpa-related sense, you should probably ask us.

Our first plural communities were in fact the tulpamancy communities (didn't find the others till later), so we "grew up" with respect to plurality knowledge and culture in the tulpamancy culture with its associated terminology. Many words have different meanings in the different tulpamancy communities. We generally use the definition used by a community that we are participating in and sometimes borrow terms from the other communities. Here, we use the tulpamancy definitions of host and switching. Things are complicated like you said. We were plural before tulpamancy (traumagenic specifically), having daydreamed a lot and some of our daydream characters coming to life as tulpa/soulbonds (Tri and Em.) and then finding the tulpamancy community and deciding to deliberately make Ag. We knew we had some plural experiences before but we had a very limited understanding of what happened before and some incorrect ideas (originally thought we were the original, not S). We learned more here interacting with many systems here, especially other systems with mixed origins (were originally endogenic or traumagenic and then made tulpas).

Things get a bit sticky with the term "host". With most tulpamancy systems, there was a singlet (one person one brain) who made tulpas and that person is called the host. The definition doesn't work as well for systems where there were two or more people before any tulpas were made. There are two possible ways to logically extend the definition to work in this case. One is to make "host" synonymous to "original" and the other is for "host" to mean the non-tulpas who made tulpas. The latter definition seems to work best because non-tulpas who make tulpas experiences are much closer to only-ones who make tulpas than to originals who don't make tulpas. That and the way that tulpas making other tulpas is often referred to as "a tulpa being a host for their own tulpa" and the like. S. did participate a bit in making Tri and Em. and a tiny bit with Ag. But Hail (us and Ec.+Cr. and Breach) did most of it so we think the term best fits us.

With regards to the term "plural". All tulpamancy systems (once a singlet makes a tulpa) are plural. Systems in other plural communities aren't more plural (or less). There are different cultures, different commonalities of life experiences, different problematic ideas etc. in different plural communities. For example, there is less switching in tulpamancy communities and almost always the original is the primary body controller. Some of it is from it takes a while for tulpas to learn to control the body and different fronting amounts takes time to evolve (most tulpamancy systems in this community have not been systems for long), though some of it is that the culture here is very host-centric (it is improving, but it is still there). It is generally a good idea to look around at many plural communities and see how systems operate there and similarities and differences (note that there is a difference between looking around and horning into communities one doesn't belong (and note that many communities are general plurality communities, open to systems of all forms)).

Also I'm not terribly informed on how the other communities dealing with ~headfolk think about this stuff, so the little I said about them could be wrong. In the end it's up to the system what words they want to use and what they want to be called, but there are some different 'norms' between the communities either way.

You actually are pretty well informed.

I see where you're coming from though. I would like to hear FallFamily's opinion but your interpretation of their entities sounds appropriate - and I can understand where a flaw in my logic is stemming from. Situations of multiplicity where the host did not purposefully engage in the creation of the entities would have a much different take on who the 'host' is, or if there ever was only a single host to begin with. I had not considered this previously. 

Hope we answered your questions.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

You guys are all awesome. I read up a little bit of your progress report too and all told you've given me a pretty comprehensive breakdown of your situation. Thank you for sharing! As you may have noticed I'm not the most educated on these things in the real world. I've taken a bit of basic psychology but that's about it, so hearing stories like yours is really an eye opener to the complexities that multiplicity brings around. Everyone in this thread is teaching me things and it's super cool. 

I find it commendable that your system has functioned for the benefit of all involved through thick and thin. It's cool that whatever you all come up against, you still have the tenacity to give it your best - no matter who is taking the reigns at any given time. You're in a lot deeper than I ever was so I can hardly even put myself into that mental space, but you have answered all the questions I had. 

As well you bring up a good point of research. If I'm going to become an active member here I had better get my feet wet and get the terms and jargon down. But stories like yours absolutely help, so thats a start right there :D

[align=right]The songs carried on and began to grow long as the moon watched it all from above

And the old ripened berries and the juniper fairies delivered their gifts and their love.[/align]