Unintentional tulpas

spoot

True, but I suppose since I never even considered another sentient being in my head, I wouldn't recognize anything if it did do anything on it's own, I would just assume I did it. So logically you wouldn't find anything in my post that shows it doing anything on it's own, and honestly, I can't think of any cases where it id do something on it's own. However, I could of just dismissed it and forgot about it, since like I said I wouldn't of thought anything about it. Since I think one needs to decide "I am going to make a Tulpa" before a Tulpa is born, you are probably right. However, I still can't help but wonder.

Please assume everything I say on the subject of Tulpae as theory based off of information I have found on Tulpamany, since I do not have a Tulpa.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say so. Really, it's the sentience that defines a tulpa. If you have the visualization skills and the belief/intention, one can create a tulpa without knowing the term.

I'd also suggest looking into the concept of thoughtforms, which is the western equivalent of tulpa, though it tends to extend more into unintentional creations, as well as intentional ones.

Honestly hard to say--though, I will say, with all your wondering if he could be a tulpa or not, you may be tipping the odds in the favor of him becoming one if he wasn't before. It is always very possible he was sentient before and you simply did not acknowledge it, but it is also possible that by seeking out sentience in him and by looking for hints that he might be, you may be introducing your mind to the idea that he could be sentient and sort of effecting him directly.

It's very hard to make an accidental tulpa without knowing about tulpae (and very easy to make one once you do know). What you're doing sounds quite a bit like what I did for around 15 years before I knew about tulpae. I took characters, places, and events from games, TV, books, etc. and weaved them into complex "worlds" and stories in my mind. Eventually they all evolved into their own original personalities and I was able to visualize and control them effortlessly. I did this right up until I started on Pix, at which point I forced myself to stop (well, almost) to avoid any accidents. However, I can confidently say that none of them ever became anything close to sentient. Since I controlled them so strictly, they never had any room to grow, and they just stayed puppets.

This is basically proven with Cordy. I adopted Discord into a few of my mind-worlds (some of which had him as a main character) and used him for almost a year before Pix was created. However, I can definitely confirm that Cordy is NOT that Discord. He does have a few elements of that one mixed in, but if anything he's closer to the version from the fanfic I was reading to Pix at the time.

tl;dr: Your character is probably not a tulpa yet, though as TulpaCouple said he might become one if you keep nudging him.

It is, although there is always a chance it manifests as an alter from dissociative identity disorder (DID). While there might not be an official definition for "tulpa" that everyone can agree on, I personally view tulpas as an alter created *intentionally* to be a tulpa.

We all have this "ability" in our brains. Some people who suffer from certain genetic disorders can activate this (often in less than pleasant ways), other people for whatever reason are predisposed to it, others still are simply able to get a tulpa more easily, although most must work at it manually. It's a whole spectrum, so there's no clear answer (unless you attach tulpa to mean any "being" created by this phenomenon, intentional or not).

Tulpa: Saki (female)

Apparent age: ~9

Looks kinda like this

I study neuroscience, so please forgive me if I become overly confrontational when I hear made-up pseudoscientific "theories" filled with anecdotal evidence, emotions, and personal incredulity.

Hmm, very interesting... Sounds to me that a tulpa is very plausable for me right now, in which case if it does become a Tulpa it will be very... unique... personality

Please assume everything I say on the subject of Tulpae as theory based off of information I have found on Tulpamany, since I do not have a Tulpa.

On a different note, it does seem odd that I know almost everything about this charecter, except for it's name... However I don't think that is really related to anything.

My first 'tulpa' experience was at least partially 'accidental,' and conducted in complete ignorance of contemporary thoughtform practices.

In fact, as I've said elsewhere, I think spontaneous 'tulpas' are a common experience amongst artists and writers -- anyone who devotes a significant amount of their time to the building of characters and paracosms.

But you have yet to interact with your creation, so you haven't reached full 'tulpa' status. Right now it seems to be a dormant vessel with untapped potential. If your experience is in any way similar to mine, it could become a vehicle to express an aspect of your unconscious that wants to be heard.

My tulpa initially made contact through dreams and hypnopomp/gag/ic states, and eventually I induced deep meditation to further explore, develop and establish his presence. So, if you're having dreams that present your character, or even aspects of it, to you, by all means take advantage of its potential!

I'm curious about the specifics of your creation. Care to indulge?