What are the effects of long term switching, and when would these be helpful?

What are the effects of long term switching, and when would these be helpful?

This question started in discord, it a appears that a lot of hosts, feel the need to switch for a long period of time.

Have you ever done something like that? It was helpful? And what were the situations that made you do it?

[insert inspiring story here]

We don't have to switch for long periods of time, we just do sometimes. Lucilyn fronted for over a month straight not too long ago because we were between school and work, and it was potentially the only/last free time we'd have for so long straight etc. So Lumi gave her the chance to do whatever she wanted for that time. Right now I've been fronting for about two weeks to work on lucid dreaming at Lumi's request, something he's been trying to accomplish for years. Often times there are just things I'm better equipped to do than he is, and that's why we switch. For an extended period of time though? It really just depends, in my case, how long it takes me to do it. There's never a necessary time minimum for switching. I let Lucilyn front to go to a birthday party for about 10 hours a few days ago, before switching back with me.

And I have no idea what you mean by side effects, let alone "helpful" ones. I personally have made some efforts in the past to change how we reactively think about things that require effort, to help with Lumi's motivation issues. But I don't know anyone else that's ever done something like that.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

[breach] Well, one major effect is that one's ability to control the body can get rusty and you can tire out very quickly when you try to control it again if you haven't in a long time or have gone a long time where you only seldomly control the body. We have a lot of experience with this. S, the original, when she finally came back (keep in mind that she hadn't controlled the body in 20 years), it took a long time before she could do it for any significant period of time. At first, she would get so drained in 30 minutes to an hour she would sleep for a month. Took a long time before she was able to control the body a day without issue and even now she can't really go beyond 3 days straight since she doesn't front enough to really push her limit beyond that. Interestingly, though, where at first after coming back she could only switch (no possession), she hasn't been able to switch since and can only possess.

Going along with one getting rusty at controlling the body, the amount of bleed and blending from hosts decreases and eventually, the body OS (for those who have one) can even be more influenced by a tulpa or other person controlling the body the most than the host/s at which point they no longer have to fight with the residual personality in the body OS to be themself and the tables are flipped (as in, if the host/s front, they have to fight with the residual personality that is more affected by the former person). In a non-lopsided fronting configuration, the residual can get kind of blurry and then no one has to fight it very hard. This is one advantage of balanced fronting (not long term switching). Do note, this is the case for switching and possession both.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

My family have some experience with very-long-term switching. In our experience , being switched for years is very tiring. The experience of living every day on Earth, working, sleeping, eating, is sometimes tedious and occasionally amazing.

Myself, I'm at the point where I am switched indefinitely. It is a good life actually. I get to spend time with my spouse when he's home from work. We go see the rest of the family. I even joined a "d&d 5e" gaming group. The extreme tiredness I experienced the first year of full-time switched seems to be lifting. I would say it is a good life.

Please consider supporting Tulpa.info.

[ice] One thing that many do not take into account is how hard it is to stay connected and involved in things reliably when one is only in control of the body say once a week or for a small block every other week or more. One can really end up missing the people one cares about in outerworld. These days, most of us are feeling this because between Tri, Breach, Frostbite, S., and I fronting not that unequally; no one gets a whole lot of time and we all struggle a bit on this front.

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

We've avoided making any relations like that because we still treat the body's outside life as Lumi's. So while we front to experience things ourselves, it's under the understanding that we're living in Lumi's life, rather than taking it over as our own for a while. It can be considered our life as far as we're willing to be considered Lumi, such as Lucilyn considering his friends her friends too and playing games with them just fine.

We switch (sometimes long term, if circumstances allow) to experience things ourselves, outside of just inside the mind or through Lumi's experiences. Sometimes Tewi switches to work on things that will have an effect after she's done fronting, both in the real world and in our mind. For example, she's the one leading our lucid dreaming efforts now (we're doing what she says more or less when we're fronting, too). Other than that, I wouldn't say there were any real "long term effects", other than things like having a different perspective on your individuality/what makes up a person. I wouldn't call that an effect so much as a realization though.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

• 2 years later...

Hello. We are curious as to the long term effects of switching. We have not yet mastered complete dissociation from the senses, but according to some definitions of the word, we are able to switch in the sense that I am the primary fronter of the body and Host takes the back seat.

-Chara

Frisk/Host, Chara, Pate, Avery, Indigo, Percy, Ness, Jay.

Well, we studied this a little; long term for us was only about a week. I was switched in for a week, documented here.

I am a woman, my host is a man, so I started to become affected by manly hormones in a way that I was sheltered from when switched out.

Specifically, I felt more attracted to women, and I kinda felt like a man. This isn't what other systems claim, it might just be us. (To be fair, I am attracted to women and men, so that might also be skewing the results, maybe that is just amplified then.) For completeness, Bear (the host) is definitely not attracted to men, never has been and that's not showing any sign of changing.

There's also a little bit of a feeling from the body, it feels like a masculine animal in a way which might also be sort of adding to the feeling.

Otherwise we discovered that there are a few ticks that are obviously nature (in that Bear's relatives did similar things) like mouthing or repeating conversations after saying them. I don't do that, but when switched in for long periods, I did start to a little. As opposed to something like snacking, when I'm switched in I don't get hungry or snack, Bear's a snacker.

As far as position, yes the host can be anything from co-fronting to completely dormant. The key feature of switching in my mind is whether the host keeps popping in or can be kept at bay and stay out of my business.

Hope this helps!