Peace of Mind in Multiples

Shinyuu

Question

It’s nice to have a happy and lovely tulpa in your head, someone who’s eagerly waiting for you to take a break and spend some time in wonderland with them. Tulpas are often deemed as best helpers and supporters, always vouching for their hosts. Sounds like a perfect companionship, eh? But it’s not all the truth.

Tulpas, like all the other personalities, accumulate the baggage of emotions. The baggage of doubts, stray thoughts. They develop their own subconscious, feeding it with wants and hates, year after year as they progress on their own separate path of development.

Continue reading →

Note from GAT: While the page linked is clean/SFW, other pages/articles on Shinyuu's blog are not. Tread carefully if you are at work/school or are a minor.

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The biggest problem I have with this guide is where it says "a tulpa will develop their own subconscious." As other people have pointed out "subconscious" isn't a term used in modern psycology and even using "subconscious" to mean "unconscious" there is still no evedence for that to be true. I believe that you said on discord that you meant something else when you said "subconscious", so either change it to be more clear, or just use a different word entirely.

There is some exaggeration and hyperbole, but overall I find it minor and I don't think it hurts the article too much.

I'll approve for guides once you fix the thing about subconscious

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

I know that this article was submitted about 18 months ago and that you’ve linked to your blog, I don’t see that as a bad thing but in future I’d just like to see all submissions posted entirely in the OP for ease of editing and reviewing.

I enjoyed reading your article, the only issues I could find were already picked up by the others apart from one other small issue I found.

They develop their own subconscious

I know this has already been picked up by everyone, but you could probably just replace it with 'unconscious processes' and get away with it.

If we only experience good things, they will get devalued over time, and we’ll need more and more of them to feel same enthusiasm.

This isn’t entirely true, its only when ‘good’ things are experienced ‘in excess’ that they get devalued, and with most things that are genuine pleasures like eating real food or enjoying a nice walk with beautiful views, you really must binge hard to become bored of them. When you said, “If we only experience good things”, that would imply that we would have no frame of reference to compare them to bad things, which is what makes the good things appear good in relation to them. I would just change this bit to “If we experience good things in excess…”

the word "idolized" is both consistently misspelled and seems to be being used in the place of the word "idealized" in the second use in the article.

The spelling is fine, it’s just not Americanised, don’t feel like you must Americanise your spellings.

Overall, I think this article is good, even if most of it is just common sense. It’s good to have because new hosts often don’t understand that tulpas are just like normal fleshy people too and this article brings light to that fact.

If you can replace the word ‘subconscious’ with something like I suggested, fix Kitsune’s concerns about the missing articles, fix Kitsune’s and Candybell’s concerns about “While one part of our brain can cause hormonal storm due to worrying thoughts about someone they love, the other part of it can observe those same thoughts with perfect detachment.”, and add ‘in excess’, I’ll be happy to approve this for articles.

I wrote out a full review using quotes and hidden tags, but there was some technical issue and tulpa.info nuked half the post. Instead of going through that again, I put most of it in a Google Doc here.

Overall, I think this is a very incomplete article. I tend to approach guides/articles and such with a mixture of thinking how a new tulpamancer might read it and how I would read it given my own understandings of tulpamancy. My main complaint is that many concepts are brought up without much elaboration/explanation, or even a reason for them to have been mentioned at all. People who write articles and such for tulpamancy should always answer the questions "why" and "how" where applicable, so a new, uneducated host or singlet won't have to try to fill in the gaps themselves. Otherwise, it isn't very useful. It also isn't very useful for most systems. It's a bit unreasonable to expect the tulpa to be detached from the host's mental state or situation, especially if they front frequently as well. 

The content seems lacking to me, like this is only a rough draft. The points aren't fully fledged out, or some points don't seem to exist at all. I don't see this as being very useful, and instead it might even be a little misleading. I can't approve it in its current state. 

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

This article reads like an opinion piece, however this is not a formal editorial as much as you casually explaining your philosophy. This is fine, but it should be viewed as just that. I don't have too many problems with this piece except for some stray grammar issues, a couple of wording issues, and the advertising situation.

Fix the article edits Kitsune in Yellow and others recommended. In addition, I would prefer if you added "the" before wonderland as well, but it's more of a nitpick.

Another issue involves your claim here:

No matter if you live in your own little world or are exposed to the sometimes harsh reality, you will eventually meet something that will bring you calamity and stress. And tulpas are not as good at dealing with it, as we are often idolised, exposed only to the pleasant experiences.

This implies that all tulpas can't handle stressful situations as well as their hosts. I can tell you that as someone who spent most of my life helping my host cope with her anxiety, this isn't true. This needs to be re-worded.

I personally believe I have either a separate or my own sort of subconscious, however not everyone agrees with this philosophy. Since there is no science to back up this belief, I agree with the others that you should rephrase your sentence so it lines up more closely to what science says about the mind. You could also take that part of the sentence out all together and replace it with how the tulpa has their own desires, feelings, and sentience if you wanted to do that instead.

[...] It’s more of living a balanced life. If we only experience good things, they will get devalued over time, and we’ll need more and more of them to feel same enthusiasm. [...]

This sentence is off topic from your overall point about managing stress as a system because you don't elaborate more on how having a balanced life applies to dealing with anxiety. The topic of that paragraph is about being prepared for episodes of stress, not balancing relaxation and anxiety. Since the last sentence of that paragraph does just fine without that section, I recommend either taking that entire section out or re-wording it so it connects back to the topic of preparing for an anxious event.

I don't like the message of recommending a tulpa to hang out in the back, but I wonder if this is an issue with word choice delivering the wrong message. When my host has a nervous break down, I am more or less detached from her anxiety and I am calm enough to were I can talk her down. This doesn't always work, and it should be noted that this can be reversed when the Tulpa is fronting and the host is in the back. In addition, anxiety can still affect any system member regardless if they are in the front or the back. This system dynamic may also not apply to some systems because some systems share their emotions universally or have more trouble with emotional bleed.

Finally, but most importantly, the main issue I have with this submission is it comes across as an advertisement for your other works by the end of it. The last two paragraphs are fine if they stay on your blog post, but as a work published on Tulpa.info, they need to not exist. Resources on Tulpa.info are not designed to advertise to the reader. You mentioned that you prefer to see the traffic on your blog for business purposes, and if that is the case then this article doesn't need to be published here. You can copy and paste your finished draft into submissions and leave out the last two paragraphs linking to your other stuff, or you can leave everything on your blog and not have this work on Tulpa.info.

I need to see some edits to this work first before I cast a vote. If you fix all the issues including the advertising issue, then I will approve this work for Articles.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

We, multiples, are in a unique position. While one part of our brain can cause hormonal storm due to worrying thoughts about someone they love, the other part of it can observe those same thoughts with perfect detachment. And observing your thoughts is the best way to bring calmness to mind; both hosts and tulpas can develop a habit of pulling the over-excited system mate into their calmness bubble; to let them observe their rushing thoughts with an unclouded vision.

This is untrue. Hormones create chemical imbalances in the brain that are intended to physically push it in a certain direction. Ignoring sensations and impulses is a sign of mental discipline, but the claim of "perfect detachment" is questionable at best. I recommend re-phrasing this section to more emphasize how different interpretations of events can lead to different levels of calmness and excitement - in short, this paragraph needs to be tempered.

I know many systems that face some kinds of stress. I know tulpas worried because of their hosts. And I tell them—don’t worry! You are not there to worry, it’s not your emotion! By all means, stay distant, stay calm, stay strong. And pull your host out, give them your vision, give them your strength. A different perspective is like a bucket of cold water, it can cleanse and refresh the troubled mind.

In this paragraph you encourage tulpas to pull back from worries and real-world problems. Earlier in this article you refer to tulpas as being unprepared for real-world troubles. Why is the solution to that to withdraw further? That doesn't set tulpas up to become strong, independent, and well-rounded individuals.

That self-contradiction within the core objectives of the article is its primary issue, imo

Don’t treat your tulpas as idolised beings, and don’t throw all your problems at them, as they might crumble under the load too. Make use of your plurality and keep a watchful eye on each other’s state of mind to get the most benefit.

Unless the first sentence is a reaffirmation that tulpas should not be made to bear any burdens, its phrasing and purpose is unclear. As a summarizing sentence, it should send a clear message. Also, "make use of your plurality" is a complete mystery to me. What does that mean?

I really don't take issue with much of this passage except for the fact that it becomes self-contradictory by the end. Are you encouraging tulpas to be independent and involved while also telling them to remain ignorant of real matters? If the article just ended before the last two paragraphs (not including the mailing list and reddit post) then it would make a lot more sense, imo. But since it's being submitted to Articles, its opinionated nature and personal biases should perhaps be overlooked. Make the message more clear (remove those contradictions) and I think it should be approved.

While I'm waiting on the last critique I want to get a GAT summary on what constitutes "advertising". I'm not making money off those posts but I also have no interest in posting on .info without any accreditation of my work; specifically:

You can copy and paste your finished draft into submissions and leave out the last two paragraphs linking to your other stuff, or you can leave everything on your blog and not have this work on Tulpa.info.

if this is a hard requirement then I'm going to save your time.

As for the other feedback; thanks a lot; you all were very helpful; especially Kitsune and their notes on "subconscious" vs. "unconscious" and the bad grammar (I have no excuses for that). With the current votes of four to two I'll wait until the last one to see if I will do any major edits to the article (it's not worth rewriting it if I can't address all the points and make you happy).

Also on Kopase's point:

I think it should be approved.

Thanks for your feedback. I'd like to note that it'd be better for everyone if you wouldn't give your suggestions as to approval of the article within this topic given you're not on the GAT team. The feedback is reasonable; though; I'll see what I can do.

Could you post it in both places? A copy here, and then a link? As an "average Tulpa.info user" (I'm not GAT, at least), I have literally zero problem with you saying "Here's where you can find some of my other Tulpa stuff". But I do have problem with having to leave the site entirely - clicking your threads just to see a basically blank OP always feels disappointing in some way.

Just throwing my non-GAT opinion out there.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Could you post it in both places? A copy here, and then a link? As an "average Tulpa.info user" (I'm not GAT, at least), I have literally zero problem with you saying "Here's where you can find some of my other Tulpa stuff"

In general it's not as handy for me; I post my articles on my blog and cross-post the full text to Medium but I get the reading numbers from both. Crossposting the full content without any visibility on the readers isn't helpful when I decide what I'm planning to write next. For my articles that are posted elsewhere (e.g. I got a couple of those translated) I have very low return rate to my website.

In general I try to be more expressive with my stories lately and having a consistent way to publish those helps a lot – I don't need to do the images twice; it's all markdown; etc.

I can understand your disappointment when as a reader you click on a story and only get a link to follow; though. I have no good answer for that yet. But I don't feel that forums are a good medium for articles to start with.

Hmm. I guess the problem is that you're trying to get approved on the forum, but you aren't actually posting to the forum. But you are posting a link, so being approved would still get you attention.

I could see it going both ways I guess. I suppose I wouldn't mind on a case-by-case basis guides being external (it only matters so much to a viewer if they intended to read the guide to begin with), but it's still preferable it actually be hosted on-site, and the GAT can still choose not to approve of a guide that isn't on the site to begin with. Personally I still think a link to your site and then a copy-pasted version in this thread is preferable, but you could suggest people visit your site for a better-formatted version and more content first or something.

I know it's not with your other data, but there is a "Views" counter. Unfortunately it counts repeat visits and your own clicks, though.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

but you could suggest people visit your site for a better-formatted version and more content first or something

I actually tired that! The click-through rate was nonexistent so I gave up on that strategy.

I have no issues with posting my whole stories on e.g. FA or sofurry: after all they build my audience on those websites – the users can track my profile; they will rate my writing; they'll get notified when I post more. But those websites are designed to make content accessible and searchable; they give the artists a great visibility. These forums are just different.