Social Media, Rules, and Moderators.

Pleeb

First, I would like to announce the official Facebook and Twitter pages!

There's also some share settings on every post now, giving you the option to share the threads on facebook, twitter, digg, reddit, and a few other social media sites.

Even the main site, there's a little sidebar to share the articles in the guides section on digg, facebook, etc.. I encourage members with accounts to those websites to go to the Guides section and start sharing the different articles.

Friends, today is the day we finally break out of our shell, and when I say "break out of our shell" I mean "scream our existence to the world at the top of our lunges!" Because I'm also pleased to announce, that while manual tweets of the guides, etc, will be posted, I'm putting a system in place that will tweet every new topic made in the General Discussion and Research board.. These links have the potential of being retweeted to hundreds and thousands, so I would suggest that you think carefully before creating a new topic, or at least think carefully about the topic's title ;)

Because of this, I'm happy to announce that we have a new set of Rules for the forums. They've been summarized in just seven bullet points, and I would encourage the members and the staff to read them. I could clarify more, if you have any questions regarding the rules. I'm also setting up a new warning system to supplement these rules, but you guys don't have to be worried about that right now.

Also, the Administration Team!

As it stands, we have almost 200 members, with 1 active admin and 1 global moderator. We're going to need a real, and professional, administration team. I'm thinking maybe, 3 moderators? Anyway, there are two ways I could appoint a moderation team; I would really like your input on this.

Method #1.

I'm not quite sure how to choose these moderators, but someone had a pretty interesting idea that I'd like everyone's input on: elections.

Moderators would serve for like, one-two months (a "term") and every few months we have another "election" where members can vote for the moderation team. I'd use an Alternate Vote system for moderator voting.

This could ensure the moderators are community-approved, know what I mean?

Method #2.

The second method is pretty straightforward; I simply choose a moderation team based on members that I know would be a good choice. It would probably be on seniority and stuff.

Anyway, that's the new announcement. Not much else to say other than "Looking forward to your comments."

P.S.

I'm wondering who will be brave enough to be the first to "Like" this new facebook page....

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Method 1, by far. I don't want any elitist, hand-picked moderators to run the forum.

As for the Facebook page, I had nothing against liking it.

Hoppip: Contrary to your opinion, I actually want more people to know about this. I don't want this to end up being a circlejerk of hipsters in a closed community.

Guest Anonymous

Dude, Facebook and Twitter is the easiest thing to ruin something. I know FAQ said to spread the word but why do we have to crash right into the base of all centered ignorance and stupidity worldwide?

Guest Albatross_

What Fede said.

Method 1 would be best for the community.

I don't know how I feel about tulpae going to the world, but the point is moot now. As Fede said, though, it should help prevent circlejerk.

augh god dammit why do we need facebook and twitter

the LAST thing we need is for tulpas to go mainstream

This ^

Just think about it, people would create all sorts of terrifying things, potentially make their tulpae suffer. Hell we have to avoid spreading information on tulpae if we can.

Guest Anonymous

Why should we aim our attempts to grow bigger at these huge places right away? Facebook is the final frontier of stupidity, it should be the final boss.

Funny thing about this community. On one side, everyone is emailing me and posting in the threads that I'm against "free information" because I choose to make the off-topic board hidden from guests, but then when I take a huge step to get this information out, lots of people want it to avoid spreading the information.

I'll admit it right now; I want this community to expand. If you just have the same people in a circlejerk, this community as a whole could fizzle out and that would be the end of it, putting us in the midst of the TulpaProject forums or /mlp/ threads. I didn't invest almost $200 into this community so far so that would happen.

The primary reason for the facebook page is to establish a better SEO ranking. Google will find that page, find our link, and increase our rank for the word "Tulpa." If you'll notice, we also have twitter, stumbleupon, reddit, delicious, and digg share tags.

I also want more diverse members coming in here. Right now when someone finds our community, one of their first impressions are "Ponies and anime?" due our roots. While I'm fine with people having pony avatars and wifu tulpae, it would be nice to bring in a wider range of audience here. In my case, I can target certain communities through twitter (such as the scientific/psychology communities) and stuff.

Finally, this is something I said in the member board, but I'll repost it here, since it's just as true to what I'm doing now, as it is with the SEO-stuff:

Yes, I'm a bit of a pessimist, but for me, it's not a matter of wanting it to go mainstream, but rather for when it does, will we as a community be on top of it, or would we end up getting buried under the rush?

There's an interesting graph, and while I'm not sure how it applies to us just yet, I was reminded of it while making this reply; here it is:

nNWCY.jpg

Basically it's the pattern of acceptance; we're probably in the first stages atm, but eventually this is going to pick up (until The Chasm, but that's when it hits mainstream), and when it does, it could do so exponentially.

I just want to be ready for that -- to establish ourselves as an authority on Tulpae early on for once or if it hits mainstream.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Guest Anonymous

I guess that's a reasonable explanation, I've just seen a lot of things ruined by the general public forcing away early culture. Do as you wish, I'm putting my own wall up here.

I like how you people seem to think that just because there's a facebook and twitter, tulpae are going to become instantly mainstream. If only it was that easy.

I like method #1 for mod choosing. One of the problems with a forum I used to go to was that the mod team never changed. And it wasn't because they were so good that there was no replacing them, it was because staff positions were being treated as lifelong commitments. The staff team eventually became a useless circlejerk since they REFUSED to add new members to help patrol their growing site.