Writing My Novel, but a Problem...

The_Unnamed

I'm unsure where this post should actually be, so if need be it can be moved to a proper subforum.

I'm writing my novel, Exemplar Ex Infectus when I've come across a problem: Tulpas/Thoughtforms are a core concept in the lore, and I need to research more about Tulpamancy in order to complete the chapter as it's a Tulpamancy Analysis.

My problem is that I'm unsure if it's alright for my research to be of this site's guides and etc, but I don't want to be stealing from the community or something like that. (It should be known that I'm not one to plagiarize -- I'm not about plagiarism. That's just lazy.) I could create a fictional offshoot concept based off of Tulpamancy, but I've got so much on the table for the novel and the mythology connected to it as well, that I can't cook up anything newer until I shake those off.

Any advice?  :(

Helloes!

It's absolutely safe to study the guides, more so I'd suggest you to study as many of them as possible. By doing this you'll be able to find the similarities and learn the core concepts, which are all pretty much the same across most of the guides. If you want to have a 100% safe route you can ask someone to read the guides and then tell you the gist of those, but I don't think you need that level of isolation.

If you're working in the field of fiction, that'd be enough for you to make a believable claims in your story. If you're writing a historical fiction, then it might be wise to talk to some of the older community members to get their personal perspective on things too—you'd need them to agree that whatever they tell you would be used as a source material for a novel though.

Are you a member of Scribophile or Reddit's Writer's Block? I'm a writer myself and we could have a lengthier discussion on tulpamancy-related topics in writing.

You could skim my guide. It basically acts as a summary of the art. And probably most usefully for you, there's a references list at the end of some of the most useful scientific resources on tulpas. That will help to complete the picture on tulpas pretty fast.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a little late to chip in, but my advice would be to read through the guides like they're all hypotheses, not scientific theories. The field of tulpamancy is a very niche one and there haven't been any very large scale studies as far as I know, and so a lot of the observations and statements that a lot of people make don't have much scientific certainty. That applies to this forum, and tulpa forums in general. That doesn't mean they're wrong, just that we can't guarantee that anyone's right. Read as much as you can, and make personal observations with your own tulpas. Draw your own conclusions alongside researching others' conclusions. That's how I got by, at least.

Artistic liberties are definitely an option, too (especially with a disclaimer, disclaimers are instant anti-critic shields). If I managed to write half a novel BSing my way through lucid dreaming science, it'll be a breeze for you, too.

System Members: NaVi (Host), Clarissa, Lily, Aoi & Haru, As of Yet Unnamed aka "U"

Familiars: Northern Goshawk, Raven, Genet, Clouded Leopard, Siberian Husky Pup, Chimpanzee

• 2 months later...

Helloes!

It's absolutely safe to study the guides, more so I'd suggest you to study as many of them as possible. By doing this you'll be able to find the similarities and learn the core concepts, which are all pretty much the same across most of the guides. If you want to have a 100% safe route you can ask someone to read the guides and then tell you the gist of those, but I don't think you need that level of isolation.

If you're working in the field of fiction, that'd be enough for you to make a believable claims in your story. If you're writing a historical fiction, then it might be wise to talk to some of the older community members to get their personal perspective on things too—you'd need them to agree that whatever they tell you would be used as a source material for a novel though.

Are you a member of Scribophile or Reddit's Writer's Block? I'm a writer myself and we could have a lengthier discussion on tulpamancy-related topics in writing.

Deep, deep apologies for the very late reply. I am afraid I'm not a member of Scribophile or Reddit's Writer's Block, but I do have a profile on reddit. I'd like a link. I'd like to point out that I'm fairly new to reddit. I've been there a few times, but never fully grasped the interface or getting around. Reading the posts is easy and I can tell who said what and where; it's just the posting and interface that I have a problem with. It should be no biggie, though.