Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

Adventure Time seems to have immense number of Tulpa-ish and wonderworld-ish references. Even one time when Finn said "I don't want to be imaginary? I hate it", Jake replied: "Your loss" or something like that. And in every other episode I see some more references.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen the broadway 'City of Angels'? The song 'You're Nothig Without Me' may count as somewhat of an example.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read through the whole thread to make sure no one already said this! PHEW!

The movie Paprika (anime movie) has the main character Atsuko has a "persona" as it's described in the movie description, named Paprika. It's certainly not a multiple personality, as they communicate and can see each other.

I think it might be the most accurate representation of a tulpa in anything I've ever seen. They can even switch and have parallel processing. There's even a scene where Atsuko imposes Paprika on a reflection of herself running along a series of windows and talks with her.

Tulpas

Amy

Nine-Tailed Kitsune

Sigma

Anthro Cat-Bat

The Kippies!

Jazz (M), Viola (F), Chime (H), Fife (M), Iris (F), Robyn (F), Aster (M), Sage (F), Dune (M), Snowbell (F), Rosemary (F), Glyph (M), Volt (M), Circuit (F)

The Baybees~

Marina, Acorn, Anais, Lily, Chip

Ooh, found another one. Thought entities, from the video game Fragile Dreams. They are the lingering manifestations of undying feelings of the people who passed away in an apocalyptic event. They take different forms depending upon the person's emotions before their death. They act as the games enemies.

“Of course it is happening inside your head... but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” -Albus Dumbledore

"Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some...don't ever want to." -Cheshire Cat

The movie Paprika (anime movie) has the main character Atsuko has a "persona" as it's described in the movie description, named Paprika. It's certainly not a multiple personality, as they communicate and can see each other.

Actually that's a bit of a stereotype of the disorder. While some DID systems experience black outs/have the inability to communicate, many many others are easily able to communicate in the headspace, or even through co-fronting. Some might take therapy to help unlock this ability to communicate, others are able to do it from a very early point. There are some DID systems that are very much like the average tulpa. That said I haven't seen the movie so I can't say whether or not it is much like a DID system.

Adventure Time seems to have immense number of Tulpa-ish and wonderworld-ish references. Even one time when Finn said "I don't want to be imaginary? I hate it", Jake replied: "Your loss" or something like that. And in every other episode I see some more references.

That episode with Bubble and BMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShZWCCF0q6w

Also, in the Mystery dungeon when Ice King tries to make Fiona and Cake living, then going into his imagination land and asking if dreams can be as real as waking life.

There's probably tons more, I doubt they're talking about tupper ware though.