Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

Chaos Head is the first place I've seen a tulpa-like entity. She shows up in the first episode, and is so far the best example of a romantically-inclined tulpa.

Me speaking to Ran is blue

Ran speaking to me is mahogany

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Reading this thread, there was all ready mention of Luis Borge's "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", but that isn't the only story he's written that deals with those themes (the manifestation of thoughts in the "real world", which is comparable to a tulpa, if their interaction with the world was not true). The short story is called "The Circular Ruins", and it sort of elaborates on that theme, but here, it focuses on an individual human being, making it a better example of tulpae in the media than the other story. The ruins which the protagonist lives in and the dream amphitheater in which he acts as mentor for his "creations" can be thought of as a wonderland.

Both the short stories discuss nihilism and the treatment of reality, which strongly ties in with the idea of a tulpa.

You can read it here.

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/00/pwillen1/lit/cruins.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Mild spoilers for Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea, Ep. 2:

Elizabeth develops a tulpa-like figure based on Booker Dewitt after she loses omniscience and regains consciousness in Rapture. What is interesting is that the Booker tulpa is fully aware that he is not the real Booker and that he only exists inside Elizabeth’s head.

between the two of them is not only heartbreaking, but it also resembles the discrepancy between the “original” and a media/real-person-based tulpa.

Progress report

Personal blog

This isn't really tulpa-related, but in the 8-minute short "Forever Twelve", a girl opens a portal and takes her friend to a magical island which is somewhat like a wonderland that she seems to have a great deal of control over.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlmB0z8H1w

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Dumbledore

How about bleach? The swords are almost definitely tulpas, and they even have wonderlands. Spoilers: One of the (later) events is even a power struggle between the MC and an evil tulpa trying to take over the body.

BingBong is an imaginary friend of Riley Anderson in the film Inside Out. He makes an effort to save Riley even after he's been long forgotten.

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -- Dumbledore

Sounds like a very interesting movie, particularly because of the main plotline being nearly-tulpas. I think I've heard of someone who had a similar system (one form for every emotion), although I can't remember who.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_out_2015/

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I also seem to remember someone having a system like that.

I'd like to see the movie, but I doubt I will. I don't think it's my girlfriend's sort of thing, and I don't really go to movies alone.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson