Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

Oh wow :'D Yeah I'm probably gonna watch that too. It seems interesting enough

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I saw that, but the comments are old so I didn't bother responding. The rest seemed pretty alright, or you know, not talking about the subject at all because it's not specifically "a thing" to them. The movie's related to tulpamancy, but it's not a movie about tulpas, just related. It won't affect peoples' image of tulpamancy too much I think, given the cartoony-nature of that one. I don't think many people entertain the idea of seriously having a character like that around all the time. Now, a humanoid 'imaginary friend' would be a different story. That or just a more serious one. You know, like, not a character in a comedy?

I personally like Sundays at Tiffany's, the book, although there is a movie adaptation of it I have not seen. While a little whimsical (imaginary friends seem more akin to guardian angels), I think it's a lot closer to what having a tulpa is like.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

Friends? You got one in your head. That's enough, don't you think?

she's more like a mother/sister/daughter/lover/caregiver/acquaintance/manager. But also a friend.

I'm not going to listen to you guys since you are all probably just talking to yourself and don't really have a tulpa like me.

Merged this thread.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

It sort of looks interesting and innocent enough, but it's not the kind of thing that I would watch on my own. For anyone who watches it, let us know how it is.

Personally, I'm a fan of Jenna Elfman, so part of me wanting to see this is the tulpa aspect, and the other part is me not having seen her for ten or fifteen years.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

• 1 month later...

Just heard about a novella by Brandon Sanderson, "Legion", about a guy who has multiple hallucinatory personae living in his head. Seems remarkably tulpa-like from what I've read:

Legion tells the story of Stephen Leeds, better known as 'Legion', a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate multitude of personae. He is a brilliant problem solver, rich and quite good at what he does, helped by his hallucinations. (Wikipedia)

The aspect will have their own personality and background, sometimes even offscreen family, and they will also have their own personalized psychological problem. They also seem to have their own lives, he finds they head off on trips, or catches them just out of a shower, etc. (TVTropes)

The aspects have access to all of the information Stephen has, and it's implied Stephen has photographic memory, so he usually arranges to keep half an eye on as much as possible and let aspects call things to his attention. He can occasionally imagine them interacting with the real world if it makes sense, but any action taken he has to do himself (J.C. picks up a reel of duct tape to show him, but puts it right back down where it was). (TVTropes)