Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

I don't think "tulpas" are so special (as in a unique phenomenon that doesn't occur elsewhere) as people think. Most other examples that aren't some sort of plurality community just don't have a bunch of rules and a community based around them, so there's a lotta variation including how independent the "host" thinks they are or how long they stick around, but otherwise I don't feel like it's so uncommon. I think most people with thoughtforms of some kind outside these communities 1 don't tell anyone and 2 don't make it out to be as big a deal as we do. Like, Lumi had Reisen Flan and Tewi totally spontaneously and never even thought about telling anyone else about them, except one person eventually who specifically liked learning about how his mind worked (because by that point he'd done a ton of self-help personal-development stuff to improve his mindset and control over his mind etc etc)

also, good to see you again! been a while!

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, sounds pretty tulpa to me too. Though, I don't understand this thing with the rules. I think the communities don't invent rules. They're all thoughtforms that follow the same rules of being thoughtforms.

Also yeah, welcome back nomadic person!

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

I don't know if this is relevant to the thread anymore, but I recently realized the possibility of a tulpa-like-being in one of my favorite book series...

>>((Contains spoilers for the book series "Feed: A Newsflesh trilogy". Please read these wonderful books/listen to the audio books if you haven't already! Very interesting take on a post-tragic zombie-apocalypse world))<<

In the second book of this series, Shaun, the now main character, lost someone immeasurably important to him in the finale of the first book. It broke him. They were inseparable since birth and they had always planned on him being the first to die at the hands of the zombies, due to his job being far more dangerous. You learn more vividly in the second book just how /much/ it broke him.

A completely independent from him (though not supernatural) thoughtform/consciousness formed in his mind to keep himself from going completely insane. It was the voice of that person he lost. It'd talk to him fully as a Tulpa would and was 100% aware she was a mental being, not the real person he loved. She actually mentioned this quite often as a warning to not get /too/ attached or mistake her for the real thing. She'd even realize things before he would at times and call him names to get him to realize what he was overlooking; "Come on, Shaun. Don't be stupid. You're not seeing the big picture here. Look harder.", etc. The closer Shaun got to ripping apart, the more vivid this mindforce would become, even to the point of visual imposition to an extreme detail and feeling her touch if she touched his shoulder or hugged him. She was basically the glue inside of his mind keeping him together and not feel so alone. He admitted he probably would have killed himself if it wasn't for her voice lingering inside of his head. This mindforce, though knowing she wasn't really her, still felt love and care for Shaun. She cared about him, looked out for him, and scolded him when he made bad choices or serious mistakes. She'd also encourage him and remind him of the good times they used to have.

It's not good in my mind to make a Tulpa based off a loved one who has passed, but it was never implied that Shaun /made/ her in his mind intentionally, more that she just popped up from his psyche to keep him from imploding, like a self-defense mechanism. I think there's a term for that in the Tulpa-community, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway, enough rambling from me! I just realized this months ago and felt like sharing when I saw the start of this thread. Thank you!

Nee, Star, Little, Tenebre, Lorina

Tbh I quit after page seven, so this might already be mentioned.

In Challenger Deep, Caden has a host of mental illnesses including schizophrenia. He has a Wonderland and two Tulpas, although one is more or less based on a real person.

I feel as though there may have been a tupper in Jack Blank and the Imagine Nation, but it's been some time since I read it.

Mer- Host. Salty, angsty teenage mermaid.

Felix- Tulpa. In progress. An optimistic, spontaneous suit of Spartan armor.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty disappointed with Imaginary Mary. Not that it's a bad show--just that the show would lose absolutely nothing without Mary.

"Some things have to be believed to be seen." - Ralph Hodgson

I don't think "tulpas" are so special (as in a unique phenomenon that doesn't occur elsewhere) as people think. Most other examples that aren't some sort of plurality community just don't have a bunch of rules and a community based around them, so there's a lotta variation including how independent the "host" thinks they are or how long they stick around, but otherwise I don't feel like it's so uncommon. I think most people with thoughtforms of some kind outside these communities 1 don't tell anyone and 2 don't make it out to be as big a deal as we do. Like, Lumi had Reisen Flan and Tewi totally spontaneously and never even thought about telling anyone else about them, except one person eventually who specifically liked learning about how his mind worked (because by that point he'd done a ton of self-help personal-development stuff to improve his mindset and control over his mind etc etc)

also, good to see you again! been a while!

A lot of people in spiritual communities get 'visitors' in their visual auditory field....

I still think it's super special though. The closeness that I felt was unmatched. And the feeling of someone being there for me nearly whenever I asked for her was so amazing.

• 4 months later...

[video=youtube]

surprise tulpa (or soulbond I guess) in a random movie trailer I watched, nothing special just another "imaginary friend accompanies someone on adventure" even though it's not the main focus of the movie exactly

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• 2 weeks later...