Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

The movie "Inside Out" has something that is kind of like Tulpas.

Don't believe the things I say just because I tell you.. Test these things and prove them to yourselves so that you know them to be true. ~The Buddha

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, if you've watched the two new Steven Universe episodes . . . it's probably just a stylistic choice to portray Pearl's layers of personality. But I find the idea of her being a multiple fascinating- my sister raised a theory that every time a gem (or, more specifically, a Pearl) regenerates, a new level of consciousness is created, that are autonomous from each other. 

Of course, it may be dissociation and multiple personality formation from trauma, as well. But that is still a Multiple System, just a differently generated one.

Woodwindwhistler on www.asexuality.org

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. -Eric Hoffer

"We can never achieve perfection, but maybe we can approach it asymptotically. Never give up on plugging in those numbers!" ~Me

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note. –Doug Floyd

My poetry: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5qMnL2tDkJYOGNhLW4tRHFHa0E&usp=sharing

It's kind of unrelated but once i saw fluorite (6+ gems) I could not look at her without thinking of a multiple system.

I'm the host, but I also have Yulia with me.

• 2 weeks later...

It's kind of unrelated but once i saw fluorite (6+ gems) I could not look at her without thinking of a multiple system.

Yeah, I mean for fusions it's very obvious, but Pearl is a single gem, so that's why it was such a surprise. 

I do like the detail of Fluorite speaking very slowly, because she has to integrate so many minds. It's a nice touch.

Woodwindwhistler on www.asexuality.org

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings. -Eric Hoffer

"We can never achieve perfection, but maybe we can approach it asymptotically. Never give up on plugging in those numbers!" ~Me

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note. –Doug Floyd

My poetry: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5qMnL2tDkJYOGNhLW4tRHFHa0E&usp=sharing

I wouldn't say I can think of any movies, per say, but I did get introduced to the term by a game I really liked watching a playthrough of, 'Hello Charlotte' (Episode 3).

(I wouldn't call it a great representation though, considering it was a pretty toxic relationship..., I'm glad it led me here, though).

• 1 month later...

Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams has many high-ranking members of the meritocracy creating tulpas called daimones to help them multi-task

&%$^ ninja! That one. 

I am getting a kick out of all the "no, no, that's not Tulpamancy, just MPD/DID." comments. In my experience these things are not mutually exclusive. ;)

I am getting a kick out of all the "no, no, that's not Tulpamancy, just MPD/DID." comments. In my experience these things are not mutually exclusive. ;)

They very much are, although in the context of saying "Hey, that's sort of like a tulpa" about things, I'm not sure it applies as much. There's still a difference, but most often in media tulpa-like things aren't really trying to be one or the other and so fall somewhere between. Or just as entirely its own thing.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Vinny of Vinesauce knows what a tulpa is, I guess! ?

a bit after 53:47

[video=youtube]

didn't go in-depth or anything but still cool!

also uh, language, binyot shwears

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas