Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

673x208https://hs.mediadelivery.fi/img/1920/610386768462410ab490bbb9fc47a994.jpg.webp[/img]

Does this count? :'D

Translation;

Hippies' auto repair shop:

"Car needs its spark plugs changed."

Plug = tulppa in Finnish

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Dexter, he talks to his deceased dad all the time, full well knowing he's dead. Actually when I was at the very start of making my tulpa, I got to that part in Dexter, and thought it was amusing that the protagonist from the show I was binging and I were both talking to tulpa like entities.

Spoilers up to season 6

I don't think that those hallucinations in Dexter are anything close to tulpas. They are some sort of manifestation of the "host's" internal darkness. Harry appeared as both a motivator for Dexter and to keep him in line with following the code, while

Rudy appeared when Dexter wasn't caring about the code and just doing whatever he wanted

. The

hallucination of the professor for the DDK was a manifestation of DDK's need to kill for god or whatever

. Now, I don't entirely think these are hallucinations, considering they seem to have information and insight that the host does not have. Rather, I think there's probably something metaphysical going on, some sort of demon or something. Especially since there's really not much evidence of anything like Schizophrenia or DID in these people other than those hallucinations.

In the show, Dexter refers to the Dark Passenger as like a metaphor for his dark urges, however in the books the Dark Passenger is an actual entity. I think this Dark Passenger is a little more tulpa-like, as he talks to Dexter inside his own head and fronts/co-fronts/blends. He's a bit like an internal companion, in a twisted way... However

I think it's sort of revealed that he's actually a demon thing

I think it's a stretch for so many people to say that these things are tulpas, especially when we're talking about the dark urges of a serial killer, but I can understand the appear of wanting to project one's experiences onto characters. Just... not murderous characters, lol.

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

I don't think it's said here before, but I'm thinking Ollie has a tulpa named Margareth in the game We Happy Few.

When you meet Ollie for the first time in the game as Arthur, he is shown to just have a conversation with "thin air" at random times.

In the late game, when you get to play as Ollie, you get to see Ollie talking to her, but only Ollie can see her. Besides that, Margareth seems to think on her own accord a lot, and the way Ollie interacts with Margareth gives the impression that he knows he isn't talking to a physically real or living human.

The backstory of Margareth is pretty dark. Whenever you get into a conversation with Margareth,

you get to see that the Margareth Ollie talks to looks child-like, and that Ollie considers the Margareth he's speaking with to be his daughter. There's also a photo of a real-life Margareth where Ollie lives in the game. Inspecting it as Arthur makes him mention the girl on the photo got missing. Doing that as Ollie makes him say that he does know the Margareth on the picture is not currently alive. It sounds an awful lot like Ollie made something akin to a tulpa of his daughter in his head because he wanted her back after she disappeared.

Michen, host or "main" / Amantha, anthro arctic fox tulpa

• 6 months later...

spoilers for the expanse:

it's a bit complicated to explain, but in part of season 3 and in season 4, an alien life form get into the mind of one of the main characters, Holden, and starts communicating with him in the form of his dead friend Miller, similar to how a tulpa would impose their form. by season 4 their dynamic develops into something that pretty closely resembles the dynamic of a tulpa and host who don't practice switching or possession

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

• 3 weeks later...

kinda surprised no one has mentioned this, but there's a very tulpa-esc relationship in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

[SPOILERS PAST EP 28]

Advanced issue found

Spoiler

When Greed is reborn in Ling Yao, both consciousnesses remain intact and separate, and they have a pseudo-wonderland and talk to each other within the mind and out loud. They also switch pretty frequently. Plus, Greed is a thoughtform made from Father's avarice,,, he's not exactly a tulpa but that in itself is pretty similar

Call me sully! (he/they)

One thoughtform: [Adam] (he/him)

~Our system journal~

Feel free to send a chat!!

I don't know if it's been said before, but there's a small French series called "bref.", and a character is "actually just a guy in my head".

Spoiler

He's named Kheiron, and he represents a part of the personnality of the main character who appeared when he was a teenager.

It may be unrelated, but it's the closest thing that comes to my mind.

• 5 months later...
(edited)

"Mr. Capgras Encounters a Secondhand Vanity: Tulpamancer's Prosopagnosia / Pareidolia (As Direct Result of Trauma to Fusiform Gyrus)"

I may be wrong, but it sounds like this song is about permaswitching (or just switching). Though there's definitely some other phenomena/problems paired with it based on the title. Either way it's a great song, though

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

I watched Moana a lot, and I wonder if "Tiny", the mini Maui tatto who Maui talks too, is maybe a tulpa or something like that. I doubt it was intentional, but I just thought it was funny that "Tiny" liked to mess with Maui and seemed to have opinions that didn't always match Maui's.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account