Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

From the Tvtropes page:

"Tulpa.info is probably the largest website about the phenomenon. However you are more likely to find useful information on the /mlp/ threads on 4chan. "

Also it describes tulpas as being part of a neo-pagan belief system, which seems strange to me since I don't think most people making tulpas are neo-pagans.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, unsure if anyone said Leo from Middle School; The Worst Years of My Life. He IS a tulpa, fully imposed and stuff, no one else can see him, he can't interact with the world, though in the beginning it's a bit confusing, but then the main character admits he's not real, and yeah.

And that's how I ended up in this padded cell

PR

From the Tvtropes page:

"Tulpa.info is probably the largest website about the phenomenon. However you are more likely to find useful information on the /mlp/ threads on 4chan. "

Also it describes tulpas as being part of a neo-pagan belief system, which seems strange to me since I don't think most people making tulpas are neo-pagans.

Someone should really go in there and clean up that page.

Could you say the "daemons" in the book/movie The Golden Compass / His Dark Materials series were a kind of tulpa?

"In The Golden Compass, daemons are more or less your soul worn on your sleeve. They appear as talking animal friends that accompany you wherever you go. As Philip Pullman once said, characters are "able to talk to their daemons, much like talking to yourself […] Like having a conversation with your conscience or your memory" (source)." http://www.shmoop.com/golden-compass/daemons-symbol.html

I'm Alanna, Domnopalus' host. Dom always speaks in brackets []

Tulpa: Domnopalus ||

Form (I am the artist) || WL: Bald cypress swamp. || Progress Report

Really?! noone said Ryuk from Deathnote yet? i mean COME ON!!!

Also Beetlejuice of the animated series was pretyt much spot on and all.

I think there is an episode of Rugrats where Chuckie gets an imaginary friend.

American Dad episode recently had Roger rpetend to be Jeffs new imaginary friend.

Practically anything with ghosts in it to be fair.

Princess and the Frog (The Shadow Creatures) <<

British TV show that was on a bit back called Full English had a guy who did litterally have an Imaginary friend that was independently sentient and that only he coult ouch feel etc.

“To light a candle is to cast a shadow...”

― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea

“Only in silence the word,

Only in shadow the light,

Only in dying life:

Bright the hawk's flight

On the empty sky.

—The Creation of Éa”

― Ursula K. Le Guin

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is another good example.

Yuuko is the ghost of a high school girl who died back in the '50s, but she shares more in common with a tulpa than a ghost.

The leading protagonist, Teiichi, can see her, physically interact with her, hear her, etc., yet nobody else (except for Kirie, Yuuko's grand-niece) can perceive her at all.

In the very first episode, in order to talk to Yuuko without alarming a girl who isn't aware of Yuuko's presence, Teiichi uses the all-too-familiar tactic of pretending to call her on his cell phone.

"You've got to believe to achieve." -Hank Hill

Really?! noone said Ryuk from Deathnote yet? i mean COME ON!!!

Ryuk can hold things, kill people and interact with world. Did you even read Death Note? =_=

現実に抗え!

Anya's Ghost?

Huh, hadn't heard of Anya's Ghost. Read a brief synopsis, and it sounds very similar to Dusk Maiden, plus or minus a few plot details. I think I'll go and check it out.

"You've got to believe to achieve." -Hank Hill