Tulpas and Tulpa-like Things in the Media

Lacquer

^ I actually never noticed that. Then again, I haven't watched RvB in a while.

I think Stanley in The Stanley Parable could be considered a tulpa. The narrator narrates what Stanley does, and the player has a choice of whether or not to obey. I think most choices lead to events nonsensical enough to be symbolic of the narrator's imagination.

Bad Endings: If you choose to disobey and make your own choices, it can symbolize early sentience that the narrator isn't aware of, and he gets frustrated because he assumes they're intrusive thoughts. On the subject of intrusive thoughts, the Confusion ending is just literally a whole bunch of intrusive thoughts preventing the story to progress.

Good Ending: If you decide to obey and go along with the story, Stanley turns off the machine that has been controlling him his whole life, and he escapes the building, completely free to make his own choices.

And that's how I personally see the good ending of The Stanley Parable: The story of how a tulpa gained the independence to think for himself and make his own choices.

"Don't listen to friends when the friend inside you says 'Do this.'" -Gandhi

Tulpa Name: Ellie

Created: 11/13/13

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have even thought of that.

That's really crazy and cool to see

Tulpa: Adryan Form: Anthro wolf-ish Stage: *sighs loudly*

“Human beings can always be relied on to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid”

-Dean Koontz

“In the end, I worry that my arrogance shall destroy us all”

-Brandon Sanderson

You guys watched Misfits after Nathan left? That was the end of the show for me, right there. I guess I'll have to go back and watch the Abby/Laura episodes now though.

"Rudy Two" in Misfits? I thought Abby Smith in Misfits was very tulpa-like too (especially since the Tibetan tulpas of legend were supposed to be physical manifestations of the imagination).

I don't think I'm to those episodes yet O.O

But yeah, the Rudys all spring from the same body and are components of one being, yet with distinct personalities that can hold their own emotions, experiences, and memories independent of one another. Maybe not a strictly imagined into being Tulpa, but Tulpa-like none the less.

You guys watched Misfits after Nathan left? That was the end of the show for me, right there. I guess I'll have to go back and watch the Abby/Laura episodes now though.

I had the same reaction at first and almost quit watching. But I highly recommend giving it another shot. The guy who plays Rudy really is a phenomenal actor, especially in the way he constructs the Rudy characters. There's an episode where the evil Rudy shows up and that sealed it for me. He's every bit my favorite as Nathan was.

There's a series of books out now called 'The Hybrid Chronicles by Kat Zhang which is about people who are born with two minds in one body. Supposedly at a certain age the weaker of the two just 'disappears' (the answer is more sinister than that!!!) And it tells the story of two 'souls' who were born together. It's really awesome.

There's a lot of "Like" books that aren't completely like "dude, that could totes be a tulpa if they knew what that word even meant..."

“Life was a wheel, its only job was to turn, and it always came back to where it started.” - Stephen King

“No great thing is created suddenly.” -Stephen King

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson. It's a book about a girl who has an imaginary friend when she was a little girl who leaves when she's 8 just like they're 'supposed to'. Normally kids are supposed to forget their imaginary friend when they leave but she hasn't. Then a bunch of years later without even knowing it they meet up again. It's told from both their point of views, and explains what the guy does when not helping kids. There's also a cheesy Lifetime Movie (what James Patterson book doesn't?) But don't worry about that too much, the book's where the material is.

“Life was a wheel, its only job was to turn, and it always came back to where it started.” - Stephen King

“No great thing is created suddenly.” -Stephen King

TL;DR: In Beyond: Two Souls, Aiden is a metaphysical tulpa.

Pic related for my feelings towards "Beyond Two Shites"

Anyhow, in the game Spec Ops: The Line

the protagonist goes through the game guided by a voice from a radio of his former commander. It later turns out that the voice was a hallucination, though he does actually SEE his commander. It's more like Fight Club, but may still apply.

And now for something completely out of left-field: the 2009 Nickelodeon film "Rango". In this movie, about 2/3 of the way through, the eponymous character encounters a being that he calls "The Spirit of the West" which takes the form of an aged Clint Eastwood in his Fistful of Dollars getup. He is in the middle of the Mojave with a golf cart, driving golf balls off into the desert and offers the protagonist some guidance, before disappearing. Given that he had only been mentioned once before in the movie, it seems possible that Rango constructed the idea in his head, which was later given "form".

7c7.jpg.12349841d2c7caa26431147fb47b9186.jpg

Name: Ruusaan

Form: Human

Working on: Imposition

Name: Lyra

Form: Satyr

Working on:

Name: Lily

Form: Human

Working on:

as far as the definition of tulpas from the original Buddhist legends, then the creatures on fosters home for imaginary friends would be tulpas, as they have gone beyond the hosts mind and into the real world, just like the yeti of Tibetan lore

if it feels good and it doesn't hurt anyone, then its ok with me.

tulpa : twilight

species: pony (unicorn)

sentience: confirmed

age 22 birthday: july 22

personality: studious, organized, introverted , loves to read, friendly.