To tulpa or not to tulpa, that is the question...

alda

Hey everyone,

I am new to the whole tulpa business and I gotta say that I am quite intrigued. I have read a lot about it today, and even though I was really skeptical (and still am actually), I am also very open-minded. From a psychological standpoint, it kinda makes sense. I really want to try doing this, but can one really create a self-imposed hallucination trough the sheer power of will, concentration and autosuggestion? Only thing I can base my opinion on is a bunch of pseudopsychology and a handful of internet strangers who claim to have succeeded. I'm not sure what to think. It just seems so surreal. From what I read, a tulpa can block your view like a full blown hallucination, right? But unlike a drug-induced hallucination, you are sober and aware that your tulpa is not actually there. And yet you still cannot see the object behing it? Also, is talking to your tulpa accompanied by auditory hallucinations as well? Can an ordinary sane person really achieve a hallucination that powerful trough simple autosuggestion?

IT BEGINS

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tulpa are in the realm of cognitive psychology in that you are essentially 're-wiring' your brain. Mind over matter, stuff like that. So yes, concentration and autosuggestion.

Imagine what it would be like to see your tulpa AND the stuff behind it. Unless it is transparent you would get a headache.

Well, unlike other hallucinations you consciously create it, so of course you would know that it is a hallucination. You aren't going to consciously create it then suddenly forget that it isn't real (unless you have an unrelated mental disorder).

You can interact with your tulpa through all five senses. It isn't really 'simple'. You are making a personality, a body, connecting the two, then imposing it. The theory is simple, but the execution takes time.

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

As long as this topic is being discussed exclusively on these forums, nobody will be able to give you a 100% credible account.

I am sure you have heard of imaginary friends, possibly you even had one in your childhood (who knows).

Tulpae and imaginary companions fall into the same category and ICs are commonly accepted as extant by psychologists. There are different opinions on whether ICs and tulpae are the same thing. Both of these entities are highly correlating, though.

And yet you still cannot see the object behing it?

The information of the object will still be processed by your brain, if this information reaches you is another story. We had talks about this in /mlp/ threads and came to the conclusion, that you can ask your tulpa what it's concealing and it will be able to tell you.

Also, is talking to your tulpa accompanied by auditory hallucinations as well?

You will be able to hear the voice as clearly as though a real person is talking to you. Additionally you will be able to "add" auditory components to your Tulpa.

And yes, I believe a normal person will be able to pull this off.

What is a Tulpa? Blog

Rainbow 'Alyx' Dash

Pronto

These questions cannot be definitively answered by others, because there is no proof or evidence they can show to you

To answer these questions, you'd need to take matters into your own hands, devote the time and energy, and create a tulpa yourself

Name: Lyra

Form: http://i.imgur.com/JjMxK.jpg

Sentience: Emotional responses, occasional brief vocalization

Currently doing: Personality & narration

Okay then, I have a theory on how this could work.

Humans make most of their decisions subconsciously, it's just a matter of automation. As I see it, a tulpa is just an extremely polished product of imagination to which you give attention and shape its personality until your subconscious takes over. After that happens, the tulpas actions are seemingly their own, because we are not consciously in control AND it is a different entity from ourselves.

When our conscious mind is in control and the object of control is our body, that is called autonomy.

When our conscious mind is not in control and the object of control is our body, that is called a reflex or a habit.

When our conscious mind is in control and the object of control is a thought entity, that is called imagination.

When our conscious mind is not in control and the object of control is a thought entity, that is called a tulpa.

Just as a conscious choice (movement, speech pattern, whatever) can be trained into a reflex or a habit trough training (attention), our imagination can be trained the same way. The difference being that after a product of your imagination receives the required amount of attention and separates from your conscious mind, it gives the perfect illusion of autonomy, since it is not connected to your body. Even if you are aware that your tulpa is just behavioral patterns you ingrained into your subconscious given form, you will not be able to escape the illusion. Why this phenomenon is not widely known may have something to do with people not meditating and training their imagination nowadays.

Based on these assumptions, I am going to proceed like this. I will try to take 30 minutes a day for meditation, during which i will try to visualize my tulpa. I will give her attention, telling her about myself, my life, telling stories, whatever. I will also tell her about my vision of her. I will not force anything. I want my subconscious to have as much leeway as it wants during tulpashaping (not forcing). My main goal is to make it as clear as possible to my subconscious that I consider the tulpa a different entity from me. Meanwhile, I will try to polish the form of my tulpa based on my visualization capacities, and also slowly shape and add to the "wonderland" as needed. I will treat her as a sculpture, a statue, not a puppet. And I will talk to the statue until she talks back. I will not concern myself with any tulpa creation phases or anything like that. I wanna do it my way.

I am not yet set on the form though. I will probably choose something simple. Seeing how many people are making a pony tulpa, I might go with that. That seems simple enough. I watched the show and I do find pastel ponies cute. I have a certain mint background pony in mind which I find especially visually pleasing. (And I'm not the only one, apparently). But as I said, I am not set yet.

Meh, just look at all this pseudoscience. I don't even know the correct terminology for half of the stuff I was trying to say. Just keep in mind that english is not my native tongue and that 90% of what I just said are assumptions.

IT BEGINS

Don't make a pony. Would you want it following you around for the rest of your life? And even then, you're associating it with a preexisting character. Although there is very little character to that character, it still already exists.

Make an original creation.

But I wish you luck, and I hope you make a blog so we can follow your unorthodox method.

[Note: Opinions]

Don't make a pony. Would you want it following you around for the rest of your life?

Now that you mention it, rest of my life is kind of a big deal. Still, I see nothing wrong with a cartoon pony form.

And even then, you're associating it with a preexisting character. Although there is very little character to that character, it still already exists.

True...

Make an original creation.

You say that as if it was easy.

But I wish you luck, and I hope you make a blog so we can follow your unorthodox method.

Hmm, I'll have to think about this some more. What if I do it and it doesn't work? What if I do it and it DOES work? Consequences all around. And now I'm not even sure about the form and the name anymore...

IT BEGINS

You say that as if it was easy.

What's hard about it? You aren't making a character for some meadia, you're just makijng a personal tulpa. And since you're just letting the personality form on its own, this should be even easier. Just think about what you'd want to spend the rest of your life with. For me, I'm making a human tulpa since it'd be virtually impossible to grow tired of that.

Hmm, I'll have to think about this some more. What if I do it and it doesn't work? What if I do it and it DOES work? Consequences all around. And now I'm not even sure about the form and the name anymore...

You would add to our knowledge of how tulpas work, regardless of what happens.

And you should let the tulpa decide its own name.

[Note: Opinions]