To tulpa or not to tulpa, that is the question...

alda

So what? I can program my computer to tell you it's self-aware and conscious too.

The theory implies that the Tulpa is part of yourself (unconscious surfacing through Tulpa) and will be able to give you very plausible answers. It might even tell you what you expect it to say.

A computer can also store information in folders, which are unaccessible to the user.

It's only a matter of time until a computer passes the Turing test but does passing it mean a computer is a conscious and sentient being?

Regarding philosopical zombies: I don't know, but a Tulpa seems to be very related to one.

This is why you should not dictate every aspect of your tulpa's personality. Do not "program" them as if they are a computer, doing so will only leave you with a servitor. Judging from what Bluesleeve here has said, he fully accepts servitors as real, but denies tulpas as sentient beings. Fully developed tulpae are conscious minds, who are practically identical to humans, the only difference being not having a physical body.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous
Do not "program" them as if they are a computer, doing so will only leave you with a servitor.

I doubt that.

Fully developed tulpae are conscious minds

What led you to drawing this conclusion?

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt that.

What led you to drawing this conclusion?

When the process of creating a servitor is described, people tend to refer to creating a servitor as "programming" something, and having it do only the specific tasks that it had been made to do. A tulpa is, within reason, allowed to say and do as it pleases. Although part of the personality forming process includes doing things that seem similar to programming, (Such as telling a tulpa what it's reactions would be to certain situations, etc.) you are not creating a being that is meant to be controlled in every which way. Additionally, a lot of the traits people apply to their tulpas seem to change over time, and a lot of them don't seem to stick.