Questions

Chadack

Hi I'm Chadack's wife.

I have a few questions, to understand tulpas better.

So, how are tulpas sentient if they are created from the hosts own mind, using the hosts own thought processes and mind?

Why and how are tulpas percieved as real as any human person, when they are created by the hosts own thought processes and mind?

p.s I do not have tulpas

They're sentient with the same sentience their host has. Tulpas aren't a separate entity, they're a part of their host's brain just like the host's sense of self is. We treat them as sentient because they're eventually autonomous (acting of their own will, which we see as the tulpa making consistent decisions on how to act and feel without the host being aware of those deciding thoughts - generally considered unconscious or subconscious), which is sort of the point of a tulpa over an imaginary friend. While on some level they're similar, the major difference is an imaginary friend is directly under the host's control and really isn't another person any more than a storybook character is, while a tulpa, still utilizing the same brain as the host, appears to act and think on its own. We can't say 100% for sure how that occurs, but what we can say is hosts do not feel as if they have any input on their tulpas' thoughts. Your brain learns to "run" the tulpa on its own without your conscious effort, during the tulpa creation process which is basically teaching your brain who and what your tulpa is - along with teaching it to treat them as separate from you.

I'm sure you've heard the (incorrect) statements like "Humans only use 14% of their brain's potential" and stuff like that. While those numbers are meaningless, the truth is that our brains have a lot more potential in many, many areas than the typical human ever makes use of. Apparently one of the things it has potential to do is literally be different people. Should your brain learn the ins and outs of how your tulpa thinks roughly as well as it knows "you", there's usually nothing stopping it from primarily being "them" instead. Hosts can learn to "Switch" with their tulpas (generally considered an advanced technique not learned by the majority, though) which basically puts the host in a tulpa-like position and the tulpa in the host's place. That means the tulpa would be thinking primarily instead of the host, and the host would be thinking "unconsciously"/"subconsciously" like their tulpa was before.

I'm one of those hosts who's learned to do that, and I can tell you it's pretty surreal what the brain is capable of. When one of my tulpas is "fronting" (switched, "in the front"), straight down to basic reactions they do not think like I do. They'll naturally, before any real thought has occurred, react to a situation emotionally (or even logically) differently than I would. My tulpa Lucilyn is utterly different from me as I'm rather... down to earth, calm? while she's a constant ball of happiness. As a matter of fact, she's actually an extravert while I'm an introvert - honestly amazing even to me - meaning while being around people is draining to me and I need time alone to "recharge", she's given energy by being around people and gets a similar sort of uncomfortable if she's alone and needs to be around people. I've been an introvert for at least 12 years since I was ten, it's a core part of who I am and how I function, so the fact that my tulpa Lucilyn is capable of just.. being someone else entirely, really lends credence to the idea that tulpas can be separate, wholesome (is that the right word?) people.

As an aside, aside from Lucilyn who's existed for not-quite three years, my other three tulpas are about eight years old, and are the most important things to me in my life. They've helped me countless times, taught me to see the world as a positive place I'm lucky to get to experience (whereas before I was a huge pessimist, and relatively depressed), and I love them more than anything. Just, you know, an aside. Thought I might mention that to someone likely new to the tulpa phenomenon.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.