Creating my first tulpa

Kiahdaj

Hello all, I am new to this site, and am very interested in creating a tulpa of my own. I have read several guides already, so as to not ask any questions that have been blatantly outlined.

It appears in a couple guides it recommends first creating your tulpa's personality, before visualization. However in another, it says to think of your tulpa's personality traits, and visualize how those traits would manifest itself in your partner. The latter sounds like a fairly productive way to go about it, but I have no problem abiding by the former. If I am supposed to develop his personality first, and foremost, what is that supposed to be like? Am I to sit down, and simply say to myself the characteristics that I would like my tulpa to have? I feel as though that wouldn't be productive, since these traits don't have any form of embodiment. Unless the idea is for your tulpa to start out as an idea. Either way, would I just sit down, and state to myself: "He is intelligent, he is creative, he is.. etcetera"? I'm just having trouble grasping the mindset that I should have in that first step.

I actually don't think I have any questions on the other steps of development...

However, are there any "don'ts" as to what you say to your tulpa? Should you avoid the subject that you created him? Anything?

I'm just afraid I'll screw up somewhere haha.

Now, would anyone be interested in reading a progress guide? I wouldn't mind making one at all, but it would be wasted effort, if no one's into reading those things.

If so, is there a proper format that I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot, for the help, everyone

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Tulpas are friends, just "don't" be an insensitive dick, that's pretty much it.

As for the process, it's a personal thing, go in any order you like.

And guides come in all shapes.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

Start out from the very beginning with the idea that your tulpa is sentient already. Think of it less like creating sentience and more like two beings figuring out how to communicate with each other. A lot of tulpae talk about how they were sentient before their creators realized it because they struggled with communicating in a way that the creator understood/their creator ignored or 'missed' the attempts of communication.

So don't talk about your tulpa, talk to your tulpa.

Not really many don'ts. DON'T give your tulpa fake memories of people they loved. Realizing everything they loved was a lie and made up is like a big negative mindfuck and a lonely life. Don't try to force them to be something they are not. If you base them off of a pre-existing character, don't expect them to BE that character--realize they are an individual who will form their own ideas and personality. Even if it is 99.9 percent like the character, they need to not be forced to live up to a character.

One great first step is to sit down and introduce yourself to your tulpa. Describe who you are, describe who they are, talk about what fun you'll have together, describe the process, and tell your tulpa you are excited to have them in your life now. Great way to 'meet' them and get you used to the idea of tulpaforcing. Even if you can't mentally see anything at this point, don't worry about it. Just focus as if you are talking to someone else.

No proper format on progress reports. They are basically journals. Very helpful often times as we come up with ideas and can point to other's progress reports to help others. They are sometimes only skimmed, but often worth it for yourself to keep track of what you are doing and what you have done.

Okay, I just finished spending 45 minutes introducing myself to him. I gave him a good idea of his general personality. Obviously not all of the little tiny things because I don't even know them yet. I told him that we would find that out together, as well as other things. I also talked about why I'm looking forward to being able to talk with him, and why I think we're going to get along very well, and whatnot.

It was pretty cool because; to be completely honest, I didn't feel like I was just talking to myself. I felt like someone was really listening to me.

Anyway, in some of the guides I read, I think it recommended spending about 3 hours on personality... And now that I've given it a shot, I hardly see how that's possible. Is 45 minutes really too short to have given him a sufficient idea?

I told him about how he's intelligent, social, caring, creative, and more, and explained my reasoning behind all of them, and pointed out how it applies to what he does, and how he is. I talked about his taste in music, his hobbies, his enjoyment in intelligent conversation, how he enjoys helping people who make an attempt to help themselves, a lot of little things like that. I'm really not sure what more I could say, exactly. I know a personality is far more complex, but a lot of what makes a person who he is, can't really be described, just observed.

So do you think I'm done with personality, and can move on to his form, tomorrow?

Thank you for the help.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Anyway, in some of the guides I read, I think it recommended spending about 3 hours on personality... And now that I've given it a shot, I hardly see how that's possible. Is 45 minutes really too short to have given him a sufficient idea?

I told him about how he's intelligent, social, caring, creative, and more, and explained my reasoning behind all of them, and pointed out how it applies to what he does, and how he is. I talked about his taste in music, his hobbies, his enjoyment in intelligent conversation, how he enjoys helping people who make an attempt to help themselves, a lot of little things like that. I'm really not sure what more I could say, exactly. I know a personality is far more complex, but a lot of what makes a person who he is, can't really be described, just observed.

So do you think I'm done with personality, and can move on to his form, tomorrow?

Thank you for the help.

Three hours is the bare minimum, I really wouldn't recommend only doing 45 mins. A good guide (credit to Phi) to see if you're ready to move on from personality is to envision numerous situations your tulpa would hypothetically be in, like being late for school or something. If you cannot say with certainty what your tulpa might do in situations like this, you don't know enough about their personality and need to work more.

Name: Lyra

Form: http://i.imgur.com/JjMxK.jpg

Sentience: Emotional responses, occasional brief vocalization

Currently doing: Personality & narration

Three hours is the bare minimum, I really wouldn't recommend only doing 45 mins. A good guide (credit to Phi) to see if you're ready to move on from personality is to envision numerous situations your tulpa would hypothetically be in, like being late for school or something. If you cannot say with certainty what your tulpa might do in situations like this, you don't know enough about their personality and need to work more.

I was just reading up on "ThatOneGuy"'s method, where he imagined empty jars labeled with one of five "umbrella traits", that would slowly fill up with energy, then would poor onto a clear ball that was his tulpa. Since it is recommended that I spend 3 hours on personality, I think I will give this unique idea a try.

However, my to-be tulpa is based roughly around a character in a story that I never got around to writing. This story, and the characters within have been developing in my mind through daydreaming for at least 6 years. The character that my tulpa is based off of is my favorite of them all, and I already know his personality like the back of my hand. The only reason that I don't base my tulpa directly off of him, is because of the "not living up to expectations" aspect of basing tulpae off a pre-existing character.

So I guess I'll go try TOG's method now. I hope all goes well.

Thank you all for the answers :)

Umbrella traits are useful. And of course, you may come up with your own idea as you continue to tulpaforce.

Irish never spent a single second working on his tulpa's personality. It's not really required, but it's useful. The more you show them their personality, the faster they develop. You may know it quite well, but it helps to teach them about themselves, because early on they don't seem to have access to your memories quite as well. If you struggle with what to say during the personality process, try to describe scenarios where his personality would show very strongly--or even describe exceptions! Describe also how his different traits interconnect--let's say he's kind and perceptive--he would probably show that by being very polite and careful about saying the right things. Or if he was kind but not as perceptive he may be a little more clumsy with what he says, but has a good heart and means well. Intelligence and playfulness could lead to a gamer who loves to solve puzzles, a curious and open minded tulpa may want to explore the world and all the cultures in it while a less curious but still open minded tulpa may just want to live and let live and would be quite happy with their own life.

TOG's personality method is pretty cool, that's the method we worked on with Luke!

I was just reading up on "ThatOneGuy"'s method, where he imagined empty jars labeled with one of five "umbrella traits", that would slowly fill up with energy, then would poor onto a clear ball that was his tulpa. Since it is recommended that I spend 3 hours on personality, I think I will give this unique idea a try.

However, my to-be tulpa is based roughly around a character in a story that I never got around to writing. This story, and the characters within have been developing in my mind through daydreaming for at least 6 years. The character that my tulpa is based off of is my favorite of them all, and I already know his personality like the back of my hand. The only reason that I don't base my tulpa directly off of him, is because of the "not living up to expectations" aspect of basing tulpae off a pre-existing character.

So I guess I'll go try TOG's method now. I hope all goes well.

Thank you all for the answers :)

If you're daydreamed about your characters for that long, you don't really need to do the personality stage, just treat them like a self-aware person, narrate to them and eventually they'll talk back.

So it's really as easy as simply talking TO him a bunch, in order to get a fully sentient tulpa? Without a form or anything, of course.

And when I talk to him... All I have to do is have the intention of communicating with him, and he will hear me?

And so I just... Talk to him. About anything on my mind? My day, a movie I just saw, anything, until he responds?

So it's really as easy as simply talking TO him a bunch, in order to get a fully sentient tulpa? Without a form or anything, of course.

And when I talk to him... All I have to do is have the intention of communicating with him, and he will hear me?

And so I just... Talk to him. About anything on my mind? My day, a movie I just saw, anything, until he responds?

Pretty much, but you should consider the character as a person. Try to get a feel for their presence. Look into Bluesleeve's guide and try the recovering part.