Spam bots, again

Luminesce

We're adding two new plugins to the forums:

* A plugin that prevents posting URLs until you reach at least 5 posts

* A plugin that prevents you from adding a website and sig to your profile before 5 posts

Why I'm unsure if this will stop the spammers, we're hoping it'll slow them down significantly.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the sort of thing I was thinking, thanks and good job.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

The plugin is weird or not working properly.

So far we've added a couple more security questions, instead of the default "2+2=" we asked what this community is about (tulpas!) and some things about the alphabet.

I'm also going to add a plugin that auto-bans anyone who makes their first 1-2 posts with certain key words that the spammers tend to use.

Also our captcha broke. Probably another reason they're getting in en masse. I'll be working to fix it this weekend.

Spoiler

So far we've added a couple more security questions, instead of the default "2+2=" we asked what this community is about (tulpas!) and some things about the alphabet.

Speaking from experience as a frustrated user unable to sign up because they expected me to capitalize something in the answer, please make sure it's forgiving ("tulpa", "Tulpa", "tulpas","tulpae", "TULPA") and be specific ("In one word, what is this community about?"). Otherwise you'll get this:

1953466295_Screenshotfrom2018-02-0815-20-38.png.b07d6e28cbfc9b8fa89bbd5657bf7e2d.png

Also, please include some way to get help eg. "email tulpa-dot-info-is-awesome@example.com if you have trouble signing up"

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

Speaking from experience as a frustrated user unable to sign up because they expected me to capitalize something in the answer, please make sure it's forgiving ("tulpa", "Tulpa", "tulpas","tulpae", "TULPA") and be specific ("In one word, what is this community about?"). Otherwise you'll get this:

Also, please include some way to get help eg. "email tulpa-dot-info-is-awesome@example.com if you have trouble signing up"

Good ideas, I'll also add a link to our Contact Box on the security questions page this weekend, for those having issues signing up.

Here's what I have for that question so far.

EDIT: A note, (I believe, from my limited testing) our security questions are case-insensitive.

security-question.png.53ab739ab1bc9fdb5db6324a5cfb460d.png

Spoiler

you should uh... replace tulpaforce with tulpamancy...

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Okay, I've added an anti-spam plugin that auto-bans anyone who posts suspicious looking threads as their very first post. So if you sign up, and make a topic with a website in the title, or with certain keywords that spammers are using, you'll be auto-banned. The banned message will link you to the contact box (which banned people can post in) to appeal the ban, for any possible false-positives.

Spoiler