Possession Explained (Guide)

Firstly, apologies for this commentary coming so late. I'd previously read through it and moved it, but perhaps I should have written this comment publicly at the time. As far as what Enny is saying - whoever is left coming to a consensus - I'm the only one left aside from Piano, as far as I can tell. So hopefully this comment will explain my reasoning. I'll let it stand for a few days before moving it in case anyone else wants to comment. If you're unhappy with this, I strongly encourage you to get involved with the GAT process yourself (or else suggest an alternative process that we could transition to). There aren't many formalities left with regards to the GAT (it was designed for a much larger and more active team than this) so getting involved is really a matter of nominating yourself in this thread - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-new-gat-nomination-voting

With that out of the way, I think this is a very good guide, and its advice is spot on. I wonder if perhaps it's a bit difficult to understand what's being explained if you haven't experienced possession yourself, but I have little doubt that understanding what's being said is the key to possessing. So perhaps simple and easy are not quite right - rather, it's not a guide in a format that really renders down to a couple of easy steps and you're done. More, it's 'easy' after you've understood something. Understanding that thing is not necessarily trivial; it seems to me like it's explained well, but since I already understood it, it's hard for me to gauge that.

Anyway, approved.

We did not know there was a GAT, we assumed there was some other process. Our stance for this guide stays the same but I personally see myself as a noob and I don't want to have anyone feel like they need to take my opinion more seriously than a grain of salt. Sorry for the confusion.

I actually use this as a form now, but it's not my main one. I'm still not a hippo, neither is Ranger.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). He loves to chat.

Our system account

As far as what Enny is saying - whoever is left coming to a consensus - I'm the only one left aside from Piano, as far as I can tell. So hopefully this comment will explain my reasoning. I'll let it stand for a few days before moving it in case anyone else wants to comment. If you're unhappy with this, I strongly encourage you to get involved with the GAT process yourself (or else suggest an alternative process that we could transition to). There aren't many formalities left with regards to the GAT (it was designed for a much larger and more active team than this) so getting involved is really a matter of nominating yourself in this thread - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-new-gat-nomination-voting

Yeah, definitely get your reasoning. If it's gonna be a one-man approval for the foreseeable future, I think I personally would like to see you discuss your issues with the guide and reasonings for approval with the author openly, and then state approval. I could see it confusing people (like me, before you explained) who are used to seeing guides go through the refinement and approval process, only to come to guides that are just up and approved with no discussion indication. Which, in this instance, you likely just forgot, or were getting around to it, so whatever.

For a minute I had just thought that the author, being tied to a mod account, had moved it on their own, though I wasn't sure on the dates--- when it was moved compared to when they were modded.

I'm not GAT material, and as far as approval goes if it's going to fall on one person, you're probably the best equipped. Really just, yeah, wanna see some kind of discussion from a veteran member under the guides. I personally don't follow anything involving possession, know nothing about it, so it's nice to see someone who does, judge it in accordance to the community's standards on possession in guides.

But yeah nah can't be helped either way, as long as somebody's looking at them it's fine to me, best we've got.

If you only knew what all this cost - What she gave up, just to save her art

What is fashion, fashion without love? Like an odradek, a spool without purpose

For a minute I had just thought that the author, being tied to a mod account, had moved it on their own, though I wasn't sure on the dates--- when it was moved compared to when they were modded.

It was moved on the 11th, and I was modded on the 19th. I wouldn't do something like that anyway :\

I renamed the guide to something kinda dumb but I can't think of much better since the simple and easy thing was kind of eh.

(Hi guys, long time no see :) )

Just to say that we liked this guide, but the fact that it says "possession is easy" multiple times kinda hurts, as we didn't manage to get to that in almost 4 years.

I'd say this : If it was/is easy for a system, it may not be for another... And saying all over the place that it's easy may hurt the less talented ;)

Anyways, thanks a lot for this guide, it provided us with some great tips !

No animosity intended ever 

Cora now has her own account ! :D

English isn't our native language, please be indulgent :)

• 7 months later...

Very good guide! Would recommend!

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of September, 2021, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, Sean, Kyle, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

IceCreeper909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Luigi.exe
      Possession: By a Tulpa for Tulpas
      By: Arcanus of the Dragonheart System

Introduction

Possession is an optional skill in Tulpamancy that allows a tulpa to access the physical world; it gives a chance for a tulpa to experience things not curated or managed by their host or other system members. Thus, what is possession? For those uninformed, possession is quite simply the act of a tulpa or other system members taking partial or full control of the physical body while the previous person in control is still connected to said body. For many tulpas, this is our primary manner of accessing and interacting with the same world our hosts do, especially so for systems where the host is incapable of fully disconnecting from the body, often considered a highly important step for switching. As such, even possession itself is desired by many tulpas for this opportunity of interacting with the outside, with people who are not of the same mind and body, and to gain experience and develop as individuals.

Numerous possession guides are often created by hosts rather than tulpas or by a neutral viewpoint; there are very few possession guides designed by tulpas themselves who are capable of possession and wish to teach it to others. This guide is crafted by a tulpa who has existed as such for four years, and has been capable of possessing quite well for nearly as long. The aim with this piece is to guide other tulpas with this specific perspective in hopes of sparking a form of eureka moment for other tulpas that can be the flicker necessary to obtain this skill, and for tulpas who use solely nonhuman forms that may be uncomfortable with the idea of using a human body.

Preparation and Mindset

Before attempting possession, there are things to consider and prepare for. These preparations allow future training sessions for possession to be less vexing, and can aid in avoiding potential issues further down the line.

A primary thing a host and tulpa should obtain before practicing possession is the ability to have clear communication between each other, often in the form of vocality. Seizing control of the body is an action that requires both parties to communicate their feelings to each other consistently, especially when speaking about consent. Without clear communication, a situation can go awry or create a schism between the two parties. For example, imagine a tulpa possessing the body without informing the host first, causing bewilderment and fear within the host who had no inkling that the tulpa was going to possess. On the opposing side, picture a tulpa possessing and performing activities when the host snatches back control deliberately and without warning, and thus disrupts what the tulpa was doing. With both parties, this can cause unease and anxiety simply due a lack of communication and respecting boundaries.

To avoid this, both the tulpa and host need to speak with each other and mutually agree to the possession beforehand through means akin to vocality or even tulpish. If one member does not consent, then the other should not ignore the boundaries set by the other person. However, this does not mean a host should unreasonably prevent a tulpa from possessing. There are reasonable times to possess and situations where possession is not ideal where a host may state, "Sorry, now's not a good time because we're in public," and other circumstances that are unreasonable such as, "Sorry, but I don't want you doing this harmless thing." From personal experience, it can be quite thrilling to possess and experience existence in such a physical and lifelike sense, but it is best to show self-restraint and ask before attempting possession.

For further reading to learn about techniques to build communication and vocality, here are a few well-written guides:

Tulpamancy: Guide Into the Strange and Wonderful: Section 13: Vocality & Section 25: Methods of Communication Tips for Hearing Your Tulpa Quantum's Nametag Method  
      Clear communication often also requires the tulpa to be fairly developed, capable of making informed decisions without the host's input while also being mature enough to handle any possible outside world responsibilities. Younger tulpas have a tendency to be childish and emotional in nature, even being somewhat unstable in form and personality at times, as they continue to establish their identity with forcing sessions and experience. Therefore, a younger tulpa may not understand the importance of respecting boundaries, maintaining what are usually the host's responsibilities such as school or occupations, or may make emotional decisions in favor of logical ones. Harsh world experiences can also be stressful for the tulpa and negatively impact their development while they are still malleable and easily influenced, thus it is ideal for the tulpa to be developed to the point of their identity being mostly solidified and where they have learned to manage their emotions in times of stress and hardship.

How much time it takes for both of these to be met is subjective and has a high degree of variance between Tulpamancers. Both maturity and vocality can come with time, consistent forcing sessions, and patience. What is imperative is to not rush possession; possession is not a fleeting opportunity that is capable of vanishing at a moment's notice. Regardless of the system's age, possession is a skill that will always be available, thus do not feel the need to rush it or obtain it as quickly as humanly possible. Nor should a Tulpamancy system feel as though they are obligated to learn possession. Though few in number, there are tulpas who are quite content with never being in control of the body, instead preferring to be imposed on the material plane or live their lives in a mindscape. Neither host or tulpa should be forced into learning a skill they do not wish to learn if they do not desire it within reason, however, it does not harm either to at least attempt possession once.

Finally, another common issue, specifically for hosts, is a sense of fear or anxiety when pondering the idea of the tulpa taking control. This fear is reasonable, especially with how possession and control swapping is often portrayed in many nations and cultures. In tandem with this, the host is often one who has spent their entire existence being the singular entity of the body; switching as a concept is a direct opposite of what the vast majority of humanity believes to be the sole way of existence, that each consciousness belongs to one vessel and is that vessel. There are some hosts who require self-introspection and must accept that they are not the body itself, but a single consciousness of multiple that happens to dwell within it.

Anxiety for switching can stem from pathological anxiety or this mindset of singularity, and thus not all Tulpamancy-specific advice may apply. Trust between both parties is critical when exchanging control, not simply that they will do no harm with the power they are given, but as a general rule. For both the tulpa and the host: trust in the tulpa to be responsible, and trust in the host to allow the tulpa to safely express themself without overstepping boundaries. Any and all concerns should be spoken about between both members and genuinely listened to, this includes doing whatever possible to negate any doubts or fears.

In conjunction with maturity, the ability to communicate properly, and dousing any fears and anxieties, another key factor in possession is the mindset of both the host and tulpa. It can be deceivingly simple to believe that possession is this archaic skill, possibly due to preexisting connotations of possession from various forms of media and how only supernatural beings are capable of performing this feat. Despite this, possession is not impossible to achieve, nor does it take years for most Tulpamancy systems to gain. Remember that both the tulpa and host exist within the same mind and body; both parties have access to the same neural pathways, and thus access to movement. As months become years, a tulpa eventually reaches a point to being on equal footing with the host, being a fully separate person capable of all the same feats the host is capable of and not simply some entity that can be willed away on a whim.

In addition to this, it is a highly prevalent and pervasive myth that the host must manually dissociate from the body to allow the tulpa to possess. Quite frankly, this is false, as many tulpas have proven to be capable of possession while the host is still fully connected to the body and is aware of what the body is doing. Mindset, however not being an absolute factor, can still majorly influence how quickly or slowly a skill in Tulpamancy is gained. Another belief that can stymie possession training is the belief that the tulpa is lesser, weaker, or simply less capable than the host. By doing this, the host is setting unnecessary limitations on the tulpa, which further slows skill development. When speaking about Tulpamancy, one should not think in absolutes, but instead keep an open mind for any possibility instead of denying or wholeheartedly believing a certain outcome will occur.

Thirdly and finally with possession myths, older guides often reference possession being this "alien" feeling when experienced, a sensation easily noticeable. In recent years, many Tulpamancers have started fervently exclaiming that possession will not feel alien and that it was merely an artifact from the past. As previously stated, believing in absolutes is often an unhelpful mindset in Tulpamancy. Despite the claims from either side, there are Tulpamancers who experience this "alien" feeling and others who do not. A possible explanation for this is a tulpa's presence and the sensation it gives when the tulpa possess, or perhaps this "alien" feeling is more common with tulpas with nonhuman forms that clash more with a human body when attempting to control it. Regardless of whether or not a system will experience this "alien" feeling is unimportant, as many believe this sensation alerts the host whether or not the tulpa is actually moving the body. If one is simply unsure if the body's movement was theirs or their tulpa's, they can simply verify it with the tulpa instead of merely guessing.

Once mentally overcoming these hurdles to the best of one's ability, possession is much more likely to be swift with ample progression and lowering the possibility of tribulations in the future.

Step-by-Step Process and Explanation

At last, the process of possession specifically for tulpas in the perspective of another tulpa. For the sake of brevity and simplicity, the possession strategy will be laid out in steps first, then the explanation will be placed after the method itself. Remember that this method is done solely in the perspective of the tulpa, however, the host at minimum should relax in whatever means they wish and simply allow the tulpa to go through the process.

Begin by connecting to the body's senses, look through the body's eyes, feel the gravity of the earth pulling downwards, take in any scents or sounds that can be heard, and even pay close attention to any flavors the mouth may be experiencing. Hone in on a singular sense, whichever is desired. With the eyes, absorb every single detail possible, every color, every shape, their distance from the body, and more as an example. Or not simply feel the effect of gravity, but also the textures of objects or even the body itself, the temperature of the air or ground, and potentially even focus on negative sensations such as pain if they are present. Entrench oneself in that specific sense until feeling completely absorbed by it, entranced to the point of losing awareness of one's form or anything else, even the thoughts of oneself or the host. Become that sense, become the eyes, become the skin, the nose, the mouth, or ears. Not simply using the sense, but embodying that sense itself. Once this step is complete, repeat the process with the other senses, slowly becoming them while remaining connected to the ones already focused on. With every sense focused intensely on, attempt to move the body in some capacity. An example would be moving the eyes if the first step taken was to become sight. Attempt to do this with the other senses and what they are related to. Move the body's arms, look around, take a deep breath, and listen to one's environment. If the process was successful, the tulpa will be possessing the body.  
      Note how this strategy does not ask the host to "give up" the body or instruct the tulpa to flow their essence into the body unlike other possession guides. The mindset behind the method presented is guiding the tulpa to essentially synchronize with the body to the point of becoming one with it instead of a nonphysical person, becoming so lost with the world they are experiencing that they simply forget that they are a passenger in the car. When honing in on or focusing highly on a sense, it can be possible for a tulpa to accidentally begin possessing what controls that sense. For example, a tulpa may be interested in what the host is eating, paying such close attention to the food that they begin to experience it physically, possibly even moving the mouth to eat without realizing it.

However, not all tulpas understand the idea of "connecting" to the body's senses, especially tulpas used to living their days in a mindscape. Quite simply, this can be done through intuition and trial and error, or through symbolic means that translate to the act of connecting. It boils down to: what makes sense? For every tulpa, this is highly subjective and there is no flawless method that can be taught.

One must also keep in mind that following these steps may not be successful the first attempt or even after multiple attempts. Rather, a tulpa may take time learning how to focus on a particular sense, or possibly learning how to focus so intently in any sense. One day may be a day filled with progress, but said progress is halted by a singular part, mileage will vary between systems.

Possession for Nonhuman Tulpas

Not every tulpa takes on a human appearance, or even an appearance that matches a human's general shape. Though a tulpa is not quite literally their form, there are some tulpas who are quite connected to their form in a sense either through means of identity or simply out of fondness for their appearance. For tulpas in this category, possession or fronting at all can be uncomfortable or possibly unpleasant due to the contrast between the body and the tulpa's form; this connection with the tulpa's form can also impact how they act whilst in control such as mannerisms, walking style, or even voice to a notable degree.

Common advice to counteract this is for the tulpa to temporarily take a human form when fronting to ease the bodily dysphoria, yet, there are tulpas who are uncomfortable with that idea and would prefer to avoid it. This section is intended for tulpas who are uncomfortable with changing their form just to front.

A simple way to ease the discomfort of body dysphoria is to accept any "quirky" fronting mannerisms, opting to embrace them instead of fully attempting to act like a human. Walking on toes, using hands in a way that is considered odd, even imposing one's own form over the body to whatever capacity within reason (typically known as "phantom limbs if this includes adding otherwise nonexistent limbs). Unless it is necessary not to out the system as plural to others the system is not out to yet, allow oneself to be nonhuman in nature regardless of if they are currently using a human body.

Another method is to have the mindset of, "I am not actually a human, just a nonhuman taking control of a human body," much like the more fantastical definition of possession many are familiar with. This mindset can create a disconnect that may ease the dysphoria, especially for tulpas who solely identify as a singular or set form.

Choose articles of clothing or accessories that match the form or at minimum, mask the human shape such as hoodies or sweatpants. One can also avoid staring at the body in the mirror or undressing, but this can have the negative consequences of becoming more and more avoidant of the body, which is not ideal if one wishes to become at least somewhat accustomed with it.

Conclusion

Being able to control a physical body can be a wonderful opportunity to grow as a person, form relationships and bond with new people, and to have meaningful impact on the world. Possession in of itself may not be a tedious challenge, but it also may not be a breeze a tulpa and host can accomplish within a day. Remember that this guide and strategy are one of many; do not feel shackled to a particular method if it is simply not working out. Every host and tulpa's experiences with possession will vary to some degree, and that is the beauty of such a thing, as it allows for many to share their experiences and knowledge that can reach out to benefit others.

I do hope this guide aids my fellow tulpas.

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome, as this guide is subject to changes and improvements.
    • By IceCreeper909
      Allow me to clear something up-- Perfect Possession isn’t all that perfect. The name originates from the game Touhou 15.5, though the actual technique and in-game version are quite different. Nevertheless, this technique requires a strong foundation in possession. It is intended for those that cannot switch or co-front but can possess. 

What Is Perfect Possession? 
      Perfect Possession is a technique in which two tulpas(It may be a tulpa and the host, but it isn’t recommended) do a little “ritual” before they both possess at once. The two participants maintain possession until the front is secured, where it then turns from possession to co-fronting. 

Participants in Perfect Possession each have a designated role, decided beforehand. The “primary” tulpa is called the “Master”, and the “secondary” is called the “Slave”. I urge you to ignore whatever historical or sexual connotations these terms may have. Though the assigning of roles is arguably an arbitrary step, it assists with “getting into the groove”, so to speak. Perfect Possession relies at least partially on the thematics of the process. If the terms Master and Slave make you uncomfortable, feel free to substitute them with whatever you please(ie, “Primary” and “Secondary”). 

How do I initiate Perfect Possession? 
      1. To start off, have the two system mates designate which role they each are assuming. As previously mentioned, it can be argued it is an arbitrary step, though I personally think the thematics are one of the greatest contributors to the success of the technique, especially for fledgling systems. A word of advice regarding who's who, we've found that having the more "sensible" or generally more forced system mate (either or) act as Slave works best, essentially serving as a mental anchor of sorts for the Master. Of course, this isn't some hard rule, merely a suggestion. These instructions are but suggested guidelines for Perfect Possession, not hard by-the-book rules you must abide by. 

2. Second, have the host do a little ritual of their own. “I am <Your name>, of <Your system name>. I am henceforth withdrawing from the front. I am no longer the primary thinker.” The wording doesn’t have to be precise or formulaic, do what works best. Immediately after, have the two tulpas begin possession, preferably of the full-body variety. 

3. Next, have the Master and Slave recite a ritual themselves: “I am <tulpa 1 name> of <System name>. I am the Master.” The Slave continues, “I am <tulpa 2 name> of <System name>. I am the Slave.” Then, at once, they say, “We are in control. We henceforth commence Perfect Possession. Begin!” Again, exact wording may vary. It’s whatever works best. The two tulpas have thus begun Perfect Possession. For reference on what it may feel like, think possession, but better. 

4. Thereafter, the two tulpas should maintain the front together. They should speak in mind voice each other constantly (Or, if you prefer, in verbal whispers. Works best with a mask on) throughout the process, taking turns doing things as though handing off a game controller. If they aim to do something together, they should each envision controlling half of the body. I only suggest doing movements in this fashion, however, once you get the hang of things. 

5. Lastly, as time crawls on, the duo will become more used to the front. Accidental switching in on the host’s part becomes less likely, and manipulation of the body becomes much more natural. When the duo wishes to cease Perfect Possession, they again commence a small ritual. “I am <tulpa 1>...” “...And I am <tulpa 2>” (Together)”We Henceforth cease Perfect Possession and relinquish the front to <host’s name>.” As always, exact wording is irrelevant. It’s the intent that matters most. 

And that’s all there is to it! 

Conclusion
      And that’s all there is to it. Perfect Possession is a stepping stone to switching. Switching isn’t hard, rest assured, though some may beg to differ, which is where this handy-dandy technique comes in. Just remember-- It’s easy. You can do it, I believe in you! 
      For those that want a more in-depth explanation of things, (I do not recommend viewing this unless you can already switch and/or Perfectly Possess, as it can mess up your perceptions of things which can prevent you from executing Perfect Possession)

• By HumbleGlow
      If you don't know yet, possession means that a tulpa controls the host's physical body.

Why/When should we start to work on possession?

If you've decided already that you want to do possession, you can skip over this section.

In early 2012, possession was a hypothesis. Some crazy people thought that it might be possible for a tulpa to control their host's physical body. Now, about a year later, I find myself recommending training possession to vocal tulpa who can converse with their host (at least in mindvoice). Some people even do possession before vocality, but I recommend that you have a stable mode of communication with your tulpa before you start on possession.

But why should one do possession?

If there's still any doubt in you whether your tulpa is real, get him/her/it to move your finger, and feel the doubt being wiped away in an instant.
      Possession training is a great bonding opportunity for both the host and the tulpa. And it's very rewarding especially for those hosts with weak visualization, who have trouble working on their tulpa in the wonderland (like me in the beginning).
      Possession is one of two ways for a tulpa to interact with the physical world (the other being imposition), and in fact the only way for a tulpa to truly interact with other people in the physical world.
      Especially when compared to imposition, possession can be achieved ridiculously fast. For us, it was five days from zero to full-body possession.
      The tulpa grows on the experience, both in mental strength (e.g. thought autonomy and parallel processing) and terms of maturity (because with great power comes great responsibility).
      Possession is safer than most people think. Of course, it requires some trust in the tulpa, but especially in the beginning, the host can break the possession easily if he's not comfortable with what the tulpa does. Also, the subconscious has separate protection so the tulpa cannot hurt the body purposefully.

The guide

This guide is based on the guide by Oguigi and Koomer. It's what I currently consider to be the standard method for possession. Go read that if you haven't yet. I'm waiting here.

Now there is one thing that keeps confusing people, and I hope to clear this up and show you how to incorporate this knowledge into the method. It's already hinted at in Oguigi/Koomer's guide, but now, I'm gonna spoon-feed it to you because it's really a key aspect of possession.

When a host and tulpa start working on possession, sooner rather than later, they'll get to the point where the tulpa is able to take control of some bodypart (a hand, or an arm, or a leg) and move it. But the movement is very slow: Lifting the arm from a table will take minutes, up to even half an hour. And the movement is twitchy: Instead of gaining a steady momentum, the arm stops after a few millimeters, then, after some time, twitches to the next intermediate position a few millimeters farther, and so forth. The tulpa will furthermore find that this type of movement is very mentally exhausting for them.

So these people ask for advice from senior hosts, and hear that after some time, all of a sudden, the movements will become fluid.

Magic? Science!

What happens here? The slow, twitchy, uncoordinated movements are your tulpa playing QWOP with your body. (If you don't know that game, go play it now. I'll wait here.)

Not knowing any better, the tulpa tries to control every muscle individually. But that's not how one controls a human body (or any body, for that matter). When you walk around, you don't think about how to bend each joint at which time. You just set the direction, and find yourself walking shortly thereafter.

The mapping of intent to actual muscle movement is stored in your body's muscle memory. You might think that your tulpa might need to work on his/her own muscle memory to use your body effortlessly. But take another look at the first sentence in this paragraph. I did not say "your muscle memory". I said "the body's muscle memory".

The muscle memory is something that is separate from your own memory. It is not required to have granted the tulpa access to your memory for them to use your body's muscle memory. Or vice versa; in fact, I found that you will not need to give permission to use the body's muscle memory, since it's not distinctly your muscle memory, but the body's.

So how does the tulpa gain access to the body's muscle memory? This part is something that the tulpa really needs to figure out for himself/herself. A pretty reliable method is to have the tulpa observe the host throughout the day while he moves the body without paying any special attention to it (that is: through use of muscle memory). This probably requires sensory sharing (which means that the tulpa is use the host's physical senses), but then again, possession without sensory sharing is pretty pointless anyway.

Through this method, Philomena figured out my muscle memory within two days of observing me and reflecting on it. Overall, it took us five days to get from the decision to start with possession training to the first stable full-body possession.

Another thing worth noting is that the tulpa's body has its own sort of muscle memory. Especially for non-humanoid tulpas, it can be helpful to explicitly leave this muscle memory behind you when you possess your host's human body. (Fun fact: In a certain way, this also works the other way around. In my wonderland, I sometimes transform into a pony form, similar to my tulpas' forms. When I do so, I'm immediately able to move naturally because I can use the muscle memory built by my tulpas for their forms.)

Safety notices (please read completely)

Once the tulpa has the host body's muscle memory, and the host has trained to let go of his body, you can achieve very much possession very fast. I don't want to diminish your enthuiasm in any way. But please be cautious at first. Even with the muscle memory, the tulpa has to get used to controlling a physical body, doing things that it did not ever think about before, like blinking the eyes. Or breathing.

No, not being able to breathe is not what I'm warning you about. At this point, the possession will be so weak that the host will be able to break it effortlessly. So tulpas, don't be scared that you'll suffocate: Your host can free you any time, and restart breathing. Also, the muscle memory is especially strong in the lungs, so it will be easy for the tulpa to get the breathing going.

What I'm warning about: When possessing the full body for the first time, the tulpa will be so occupied with controlling every aspect of the it that she might honestly forget about anything else, like traffic on the street. This has actually happened to us. Luckily, I was watching out, and could stop Phi before she stepped on the street without looking. This is the host's duty during possession (until the tulpa grows comfortable with it).

With that in mind, happy possessing everyone!

Q&A

Send in your questions for this section!

Why is it difficult (as in: exhausting) for the tulpa to move muscles without using the muscle memory?

When you use the muscle memory, you're ordering the subconscious to move the muscles and joints into certain positions. For example, when you rest your hand on the desk, you tell your subconscious that, it uses the muscle memory to calculate which muscles need to be contracted how far, and then applies these positions and keeps them stable.

Now, your tulpa wants to move a finger without using the muscle memory. They will eventually find out which muscle to contract or relax, and the finger will start to move. But now, you have two opposing forces: the tulpa moving the muscle in one direction, and the subconscious trying to keep the muscle in the once-assigned position. One host reported that, at this point, it felt like his finger was manipulated by a puppet string. That's just how the tulpa's effort feels to the subconscious.

So the idea of the guide is essentially to set up the tulpa as an additional source of commands to the part of the subconscious that controls the muscle memory.

After my tulpa moved some bodypart without me looking at it, it felt like it was in a different position than it actually was. WTF?

This is just what I described in the previous answer: The tulpa works against the subconscious rather than with it, so the movement breaks the subconscious' sense of limb position. (Yes, that's a sense, too. The widely-quoted "five senses" are quite an understatement.)
    • By WastedMeerkat
      Ok, so I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've just created a resource that may prove useful to some. Pasted from my blog:

Original Blog Post

It's intended largely for use with tulpae who have not become fully vocal, but are at least somewhat effective when it comes to possession. I hope someone finds this useful!
    • By Yuki
      Introduction
      Learning possession consists of two parts. The host has to let go of control of the body, after which the tulpa can take over. In this guide I'll discuss the basics behind possession for both hosts and tulpas, the learning process, and I'll include some tips on symbolism you could use. As you go along, look for signs of progression and try to get some practice in every day. Like with learning any skill, consistency is the key to getting results.

How to possess – the short version
      Possession can be achieved in many different ways, but when you strip it down to its fundamentals, a few things are consistent throughout different methods. The host must let go of control of the body, and the tulpa must assume control. To do this, you must have the right mindset. You must know that you can do possession, and try to find proof that you're getting there. It is toxic to the process to have positions like “I can't do it,” “possession is hard,” or thinking that it's different for you because of certain circumstances. It is best to start from a position of careful optimism. Look out for signs of progress, and don't hold yourself back with a negative and detrimental mindset.

For hosts
      Your job is to let go of the body. By being detached from your body, you give your tulpa room to take control. You must change your perspective to do this. From being the active controller of your body, you need to move into a state where you are passively observing your body. Detach from the body emotionally as much as you can, and simply observe. Try to not look at the bigger picture of movements and actions on your tulpa's part, but be as much in the moment as you can. Observe your body moving, without paying attention to what it's doing. Don't be critical of what's happening, try to let things happen as they come. It is key to have a calm mind.

For tulpas
      While your host tries to detach from the body, you will try to take control. Look through your host's eyes, and get a feel for their different senses. See the body as your own, and try to feel at home inside it. Moving the body happens through willing it to move and imagining it moving. Start small, with trying to move around your hands or just your fingers while lying down or sitting still. Believe you can move the body, imagine moving it, and will the body to move. Make sure to keep communicating with your host while you try to get a feeling for how the body works.

Learning possession, the first steps
      When you first get started, it's probably best to ease into things. The host should focus on relaxing for a while, lying on their back with their eyes closed, or sitting down comfortably if they're afraid of falling asleep. Focus on breathing slowly and calmly, and try to just perceive and observe what is happening. Don't move unless you feel really uncomfortable, and try to relax your muscles as much as possible. Lose your tension over a few minutes doing this, and try to stay as relaxed as possible.

Meanwhile, the tulpa should try looking through the body's senses. Feel the pressure of the bed under your body, feel your chest heaving up and down while you breathe, and feel your muscles relax and contract. The host should try to relax their hand as much as possible, while you try to will it to move. Try to open and close the hand, rotate the wrist, or move single fingers around. Keep trying this until you get some movement, while communicating with your host about how things feel for you.

As you both start getting a feeling for the change of control happening in your body, a few things are important to consider. Some hosts doubt movements that happen because they don't feel alien, and feel just like it's just them moving the body. Over time, as you get better at dissociating your mind from your body's actions while your tulpa is in control, the feeling of possession will become more alien to you. The most important thing is to trust your tulpa. If you're not sure about a movement, ask your tulpa if it was them, and take their word for it.

Trust and respect are very important in this process. The host has to trust the tulpa to move around in the body by themself, while the tulpa needs to get used to being in a new situation. Make sure to always keep communicating, and to respect each other's wishes and limits.

Mastering possession
      Practicing after the first session, the tulpa should focus on learning to control and move different parts of the body. Once you get those first movements down, things will get easier and easier to learn. Work towards full body possession by practicing a little every day. You can also try full body possession early on, just to see what happens. Know that because you share your host's nervous system, you won't have to re-learn most things once you are able to properly control the body. Thanks to muscle memory, with practice you'll be able to do things as well as your host, or better. Once you get basic movements down, you can practice by typing, playing games, walking around and doing simple tasks. You can practice feeling the body's senses while your host moves around and does their own things. It'll help you feel more comfortable in the body and with its movements when you take control yourself.

The host should try to keep their mind as relaxed as possible. It can help to relax your limbs to allow your tulpa to take control at first, but it isn't required. Keep looking for signs that your tulpa is moving your body. Some people experience small twitches in their limbs, a fuzzy feeling, or a tingling sensation in their bodies. You can see those as signs that you're making progress. Of course, communicating is the most important thing. Once your tulpa is able to move your entire body, you can look at differences in posture and body language, as well as minor quirks they might exhibit in their behavior to see that it's them.

Progress in small steps, and don't worry if progress is slow. Don't give up when things don't go your way instantly, and try to work together to make the learning process as pleasant and comfortable for both parties as possible. Worrying and doubting is detrimental to the learning process, so try to stay observant and optimistic. That goes for both hosts and tulpas.

Symbolism and other helpful tools
      Using symbolism in some way might benefit you if you get stuck somewhere. It's often best to think of something yourself, but I'll give a few examples of things you can do as well. If the host has trouble dissociating and letting go of the body, it can help to visualize yourself as being in a fixed point inside your head, and visualizing that point moving into the back of your head, or out of it, allowing the tulpa to take your place. Imagine yourself not as your body, but as a mental entity, and try to step out of your body, again making room for your tulpa to step in.

If the tulpa has trouble taking control of the body, or doesn't know how to, there are different things they can do as well. You can create a suit that fits around your body in your wonderland, and have movement in that suit correspond to movements in the physical body. You can imagine yourself being inside your host's body, as if you're wearing their skin as a suit. Imagine the body being a giant robot, and you being the mecha pilot. Figure out what works best for you.

It might be hard for the host to relax properly, in which case it should be useful to read up on meditation a little bit and trying to incorporate it into your life. Using meditation to calm down before practicing possession can be helpful, and practicing mindfulness will help you spot and recognize the things that are happening in your body. Mindfulness in Plain English by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana is a good read.

If you're bothered by doubts or worry during the process, belief implanting might be helpful. It can help you get rid of the doubts that are limiting you, and make the process easier through positive reaffirmation. It can also be helpful with learning other tulpa related skills, or improving yourself in any area of your life. Belief implanting is detailed in Fede's guide.

Remember to not give up easily, to keep communicating, and to trust each other and believe in each other. Take some time every day to practice, and strive for a little bit of improvement every time. In time, you'll get there. Have fun.

A note on switching
      Switching can be considered an advanced state of possession. For the tulpa, the experience is really the same. They are in control of the body and doing whatever they are doing. The experience differs for the host. I define switching as being the ability for the host to focus on things other than what the body is focused on. This means that when the tulpa is doing something, the host can do whatever they want mentally, such as exploring a wonderland, as opposed to being a spectator of the body. I think switching can be a natural result of possessing for long periods of time, and this is how it happened to Sands. Here are some thoughts from him on the subject.

Changelog
      January 10
      -Changed headers from "Day one" and "Day two" to "First steps" and "Mastering possession" to prevent possible misunderstandings. There is no deadline or recommended time to learn anything here, you should do things comfortably and at your own pace.
      -Added a footnote on switching to prevent people being misinformed on what different terms mean in this community.
      -Changed my wording to be less strong in places.