Foghorn Meditation

ThunderClap

Question

Reposting this from the .info Discord in a bit more of a clear fashion. This is a method to enter a state of mind conductive to tulpaforcing.

1) Sit up straight, erect your spine and relax. Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

2) Listen closely in the distance for the sound of a blaring foghorn. You’ll never actually hear the sound, but listening for it will cause your sense of space around you to “shift” and expand.

3) Once this happens, maintain awareness of this feeling.

4) In this sort of focused, steady state, now would be a good time to imagine your tulpa, thinking and ruminating on them. Visualization, narration, whatever. Regardless, if you patiently performed the first 3 steps, maintaining an acute sense about your tulpa should be easier without risking your concentration being shattered.

My guide on tulpa creation

Please consider making a private grant to tulpa.info to keep the community alive.

I think my issue with this is the aimlessness of it. Posting the simple technique is fine but it's useless if someone can't learn the intent of it. It's fine to even say that you shouldn't read the full thing and perform the exercise first and use the explanation later as a reflection tool.

Reading Lucilyn's comment on this actually helped out more. It told me the sort of focus I can expect and then trying it out myself I could understand why the sort of state could help focus. Such information should be in the OP.

So, what does this focus do over typical meditation to help with tulpamancy practices? If you can't answer this, I can't approve it.

The System:

It's too big.

ha, that's what she said.

Posting the simple technique is fine but it's useless if someone can't learn the intent of it.

We've had experience with some similar meditation methods in the Zen tradition, so when we looked at this at first we didn't even think of this issue. But the discussion that Apollo Luminescence and Thunder had really hammered home to me how important it is to explain the point of the exercise a bit more. Listening for something that isn't there is a great way to enter a state of high focus without a discernible target for that focus, but use of imposition or imagining sound is detrimental to that effect generally speaking.

So I guess this is a bit of a practice in imposition too.

Going off of that prior information that caused this mode of meditation to make sense to us, this explanation is extremely confusing.

There's also the issue that Ponytail raised as to how and why this style of meditation is more useful than most for forcing. We never used the seemingly-similar Zen techniques for forcing itself, but they proved to be among the best techniques we've found for helping a tulpa anchor into the front well while switching. I'm not 100% sure that a technique which usually helps us close off our wonderland, stop listening to the other systemmates, and associate more fully to the body would actually help with forcing. I don't know if what we did is as similar to this as it seemed though, and I don't know if this works better than I would expect though because I haven't tried it for forcing yet. What I do know is that if I had done this exercise based on the instructions without seeing Thunder address imposition, we would have done the exact same thing as in those Zen meditations.

This honestly looks promising as a short and simple meditation tip, but I'm rejecting it until additional information is added regarding what mental state is the end goal here, and how this kind of meditation works as a forcing technique compared to the internal-focus meditation styles usually associated with tulpamancy.

Radical Dreamers system includes:

Jester of Doom, host

Fox, 9 year old tulpa made by Doom

Tiger Valkyrie, 1 year old tulpa made by Doom

Kitsune in Yellow, 1 year old tulpa made by Fox

Voice of Planet, 1 year old tulpa made by several members

I assumed the purpose of this technique in the application of forcing was to limit distractions and make the Tulpa's mind voice louder. When Cat had trouble hearing me, the techniques she used pulled me closer to the front or helped her dissociate, both of which made it easier for her to hear me. In retrospect, I'm not even sure if this was ThunderClap's intention when writing his submission.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I like this, its simple, it's different, and it works by expanding your sense of spacial awareness. It may not be for everyone but I found it useful.

Approved for Tips and Tricks.

It seems like maybe a good Tips & Tricks post. But not if it doesn't work for any of you. (Edit: Well, I got ninja'd by one..) I imagine a lot of people have trouble clearing their mind to meditate (at which point focusing on your tulpa in general is easier), and to me it seems like giving a non-existent mental focal point to focus on can help people with that. It certainly takes away my focus from IRL sounds and other stimuli. I don't know how much it'd help us personally "force", but we've never meditated to force in the first place, so I'm not sure it's fair to require that from us.

OP's last step seems vague enough to not be too much of a problem, but maybe an ever so slightly more specific note that you can simply force your tulpa from here would be better for a Tips&Tricks aimed at newbies, seeing as older members aren't finding major use with it.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Most newcomers tend to come in asking lots of questions, even questions that are answered within guides they are reading. 

I like this guide/tip as it's very concise and straight to the point, though in the grand scheme of things it may confuse newcomers who haven't performed much meditation. 

For example, number 3 seems to be a bit vague compared to the rest of the steps.

3) Once this happens, maintain awareness of this feeling.

A good point to make would be describe the state you feel when you've felt like you've sufficiently "spaced out." It will be very easy to maintain awareness once the reader is able to get a rough guess of the final sensation they should be feeling.

As others have stated, it seems to be a bit better suited for the Tips & Tricks subforum. I'll approve it once a few more details are added, mostly for clarity purposes. Other than that, this is pretty solid.