How much time did you spend on personality?

Lulu

how much time did you spend on personality?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. how much time did you spend on personality?

• an hour
    • a few hours
    • a day or two
    • longer

Wow, people saying they're going to do 50+ hours on personality alone. My main question is: how do you even stretch out the traits for that long? My method so far has been to talk about what would happen with certain situations, directly addressing Liz (my tulpa's name for the time being). I also use the template provided by FAQ to get more time out of each trait. That said, I aim to squeeze 20 minutes out of each trait, and at the end of each trait I review through all of the previous traits by saying in my head "Liz, you are introverted. Liz, you are focused (etc. etc." and trying to visualize each word in my head.

Do you just have an obscene amount of traits to work with? I do like 1 hour sessions every day knocking out three traits a day. I should end up with around 9 hours total on personality, and I feel like that's enough (at least I FELT like that was enough until seeing this thread).

I'm using FAQ's personality template too, and I spend about 40 minutes a trait, and have 20-something traits. But in addition, I also have a few hobbies, likes and dislikes that I fit into FAQ's template questions

But I only voted 'longer' to be on the safe side, if she becomes sentient before then, that'll be my signal to move onto visualization and imposition

Name: Lyra

Form: http://i.imgur.com/JjMxK.jpg

Sentience: Emotional responses, occasional brief vocalization

Currently doing: Personality & narration

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, people saying they're going to do 50+ hours on personality alone. My main question is: how do you even stretch out the traits for that long? My method so far has been to talk about what would happen with certain situations, directly addressing Liz (my tulpa's name for the time being). I also use the template provided by FAQ to get more time out of each trait. That said, I aim to squeeze 20 minutes out of each trait, and at the end of each trait I review through all of the previous traits by saying in my head "Liz, you are introverted. Liz, you are focused (etc. etc." and trying to visualize each word in my head.

Do you just have an obscene amount of traits to work with? I do like 1 hour sessions every day knocking out three traits a day. I should end up with around 9 hours total on personality, and I feel like that's enough (at least I FELT like that was enough until seeing this thread).

For me, I'm using a similar method to you--going through a lot of hypotheticals and working from the template and averaging around half an hour per trait, and at 8 hours in I'm two thirds of the way through defining everything in that manner, which I'm estimating will amount to 12 hours of the initial forcing. Where the extra 10-15 hours will come in is, I then plan to do the whole thing a second time and make sure everything feels right and reinforce what feels essential and revise what doesn't seem to mesh. I imagine the sort of review and reinforce aspect is what's stretching it out for other people as well. I don't think you're underdefining by putting in just 9 hours, since that step is only taking about 12 for me also. It's just my kind of obsessing over it that's going to make it take potentially a lot longer, so don't feel bad if 9 feels right to you.

• 9 months later...

0 minutes spent forcing personality on this tulpa. Too boring for me anyway I tried when I was going to force a MLP based tulpa and I couldn't get into it. Don't want to try to force change on my tulpa at this point either. I figure I could try talk out any issues with her (I haven't done this yet >_>.)

Conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency

I'm a conscious dreamer

Therefore I can be treasurer to my own currency

I can be the mind controller

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I covered all the personality traits in a relatively short period of time. (2-3 hours active forcing) and while passive forcing, I reviewed some of the traits. It doesn't feel like I have done enough though, although I have had clear signs of sentience.

I am just getting a bit of doubt that I may be doing it wrong based on how long people last on each trait. I am thinking of explaining how Iker would react in different situations based on personality, but when I was getting an idea of the traits I probably only spent a few minutes. I know hour counts are poison by the way.

I didn't keep track of my hour count, but for all thirty-two traits it took me thirteen days. By the end of it I felt that I had a very complete idea of just who my tulpa was, as I basically dissected each bit of her personality.

I just started, But I've gotten to about an hour and a half and i'm not even a fraction into it.

The way i see it, Its one of the most important parts, Not just because they will act the way you want, but because that is the beginning of their creation as a sentient being, and the introduction to their own thoughts.

So like, I did absolutely zero minutes on personality since she came to me years before finding out what a tulpa is. How much would this affect progress? Stuck on imposition with some unnecessary talky doubts for a long time, and I'm sure 3 years of existing is too long to write up a list. If that's the case, would it be beneficial to have her HELP me with a trait list? There are also some things which she doesn't like about herself which she wishes I'd change but I don't know how to do so or if it would even change her at this point.

It probably averages out to an hour for me. I haven't spent much time on personality (ew trait lists EEEWWWW). Instead, during forcing sessions, when certain scenarios arise (ones that either just happen or I stage on purpose) I puppet my tulpa slightly, having her respond how I would like her to. For example: during an early forcing session, I was on a beach in my wonderland. An enormous sink-hole appeared beneath my feet and I was about to fall in, when my tulpa grabbed my hand and hauled me up to safety. That displayed and enforced her helpful, caring nature. She also hugs me every time I enter Wonderland with her for the first time that day.