Don't ever tell your friends or family about your tulpas

You just have to be cautious about who you tell. If they're not generally an open minded person, play it safe and don't tell them. Try to predict what their reaction to tulpamancy would be based on what you know about them. If you can't do that, tell them about the concept of tulpas without implying that you yourself have a tulpa and go from there.

Both my mother and boyfriend know I have a tulpa and are fine with it. In fact, both of them, especially my boyfriend, found the concept of tulpamancy to be fascinating when I told them about it. Unfortunately cases like mine aren't too common, though.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter anymore, I've decided not to tell anyone about my tulpas, I don't have any reason to tell them. Good it worked for you though.

I've been doing this for about two decades now, so I'm not new to the whole thing.

I can say that my own experience "coming out" was not good. My mother was OK with it since she's had tulpas for as long as I can remember. It's only now with my discussion with her that she's realized they aren't just funny little figments and that they've evolved during the years. My dad thinks it's all bullshit. One of my siblings accepts some of them and occasionally talks with Circe and Mech. Another doesn't know and would probably diagnose me with DiD since they're not the brightest person. I've lost the respect of at least one friend and another family member who both think I'm doing it for attention and I can't mention tulpas around them or they'll attack right away or try and steer the conversation elsewhere.

I have a couple of friends who are accepting and one whose been a friend of them for well over ten years now. But overall, the negative reaction from the ones that didn't accept it was enough to convince me that the world isn't ready for this yet.

I don't know what's worse, them calling tulpas demons/mental illness or bullshit, obviously the first one is worst but the second one surely hurts.

Guest anonymous2

I don't know what's worse, them calling tulpas demons/mental illness or bullshit, obviously the first one is worst but the second one surely hurts.

As a member of any marginalised group, it hurts to have your plights or very existence be labelled "bullshit" and be subjected to stigma simply because you do not conform with the dominant group. For example, as a woman, a person of colour, an immigrant, a native (in former colonies such as the US), a disabled person, a non-heterosexual person, a non-binary person, or a combination of these or other numerous often-intersecting demographics. That is my opinion, at any rate.

Well for one, I don't make friends unless they can accept the fact that I have headmates (omg picky!). I have a big trust issue and I just can't truly make friends unless they alright about my lifestyle and family. Because of how my life is, it's hiding too much about myself and I don't see a healthy relationship between two physical people becoming possible if I have to hide such a big part of my life. I mean heck, my ex-boyfriend knows about Zack and at first, I thought he was against the idea but turns out that he was only jealous and wanted me for himself (he told me on Discord)...which....ummm... well... I can't say that Zack hasn't been the same way so I cannot really question my ex's motives. But he was very open about the idea which made me happy. The times I do keep Zack and the others a secret is when I'm out in public and for just safety reasons and my own sanity. I don't need to walk into a store and yell out that I talk to non-physical entities in my mind. There is no point to that.

Now, when I see a psychiatrist I do plan on telling them about Zack and perhaps slowly delve into the more taboo aspects of him and I, if necessary, as it falls into line with a lot of the reasons as to why I'm seeking a psychiatrist in the first place (not to get rid of Zack or anything but the fact he plays a huge part in my life, it wouldn't be possible to leave him out).

There have been slips up here and there. The biggest was Zack fronting (switching - if that's the right term) and yelling at my mother after she called me selfish for being suicidal. She already knows a lot of my dark secrets and a bit of Zack but is very biased about it and has called me crazy, weird and even threatened to have be locked up in a crazy home (I don't have the best relationship with my mother). Thus, I refuse to bring him up to her anymore and will deny if she asks. But I hate hiding things which have been a blessing and a curse. A curse because I've gotten so much flak for being open about Zack and my beliefs surrounding him and it's a blessing because I have gained friends who I can trust and not even though the road to get those friends was terrible.

But I definitely believe that whether or not it is wise to tell people about having tulpas and other forms of headmates is pretty much up to the individual. Some people have a perfect time with it and others don't.

(inactive)

Well for one, I don't make friends unless they can accept the fact that I have headmates (omg picky!). I have a big trust issue and I just can't truly make friends unless they alright about my lifestyle and family. Because of how my life is, it's hiding too much about myself and I don't see a healthy relationship between two physical people becoming possible if I have to hide such a big part of my life. I mean heck, my ex-boyfriend knows about Zack and at first, I thought he was against the idea but turns out that he was only jealous and wanted me for himself (he told me on Discord)...which....ummm... well... I can't say that Zack hasn't been the same way so I cannot really question my ex's motives.

Weren't you in love with your tulpa or something? or were you having two relationships at the same time?

But he was very open about the idea which made me happy. The times I do keep Zack and the others a secret is when I'm out in public and for just safety reasons and my own sanity. I don't need to walk into a store and yell out that I talk to non-physical entities in my mind. There is no point to that.

Who the hell does that?

Weren't you in love with your tulpa or something? or were you having two relationships at the same time?

Who the hell does that?

Two relationships at the same time.

There are people who do shout out things like that but it's more common for those who are more mentally unstable. Usually people who start yelling about God and stuff and the few that mumble such things out-loud while walking out on the parking lots.

(inactive)

Dunno, it's not the same to shout out 'Hey everyone, a person living in my head is possessing me!' than to shout out something religious related. From an atheist point of view, yeah, it's the same thing, but not everyone thinks that way.