Tulpamancy Glossary

Apollo Fire

Question

Ponytail and I have written a glossary for terms commonly used in the tulpamancy community. 

Here is the link.

The Common Glossary of Tulpa and Other Plurality-Related Terms.pdf -PDF backup -Ranger

The Common Glossary of Tulpa and Other Plurality-Related Terms.docx -MS Word backup -Ranger

Comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome.

Submitted for Resources.

Edited by Ranger
Added PDF and MS Word backups -Ranger

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Possession isn't a remote thing. Possession is a tulpa taking control of the body (by becoming the active thinker) while the host is still fronting. If the host is not fronting, then it is switching.

Possession is a remote thing :|

I mean if you get good at it it won't feel "remote" but at no point is the tulpa on equal grounds with the host, it will always be the host giving up control and the tulpa taking it, if that's not how it is for a system then they're more "median" or whatever other thing that's definitely not normal tulpa-y

but 100% for sure possession has nothing to do with who's thinking ever, that can totally be how it is for you guys but that is not the definition or how it normally is for people who learned possession on .info

also if the host dissociates from already being possessed, the tulpa still needs to a-ssociate too for it to be switching.. I guess? y'never really hear things like that I guess

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Partial possession can be considered remote, but full possession/fronting are not, they are based on the tulpa becoming the main thinker while the host backs off, but doesn't necessarily switch out. This disagreement is coming from a difference of viewpoints and understanding of possession. You claim your system doesn't possess, while my system does all that time, and it certainly isn't remote, and it certainly involves who is becoming the main thinker.

The point of full body possession/fronting is that the tulpa comes to the forefront and controls the body, not that the tulpa is remotely doing it from far away. Personally, we never see a tulpa possess in our system from the background or anything like that, they always come up front and become the main/active thinker while our host watches.

Anyway, this is getting a little off-topic from the glossary. The "main thinker" part was removed from the definition, as it does kind of confuse it a bit with needless information.

Why would something being meta exclude it from the list?

The glossary was written to be oriented towards the psychological school of thought, not the meta one(s).

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

I don't see daemon used often enough to warrant being added to the glossary, and I'm pretty sure it's a meta term, though I may be mistaken.

The glossary was written to be oriented towards the psychological school of thought, not the meta one(s).

You can't use that excuse if the term 'soulbound' is one of the terms in your glossary.

And what purpous does it serve to exclude vocabulary with an implied metaphysical connotation? Technically, all Tulpamancy terminology has metaphysical connotations. In fact, adding these definitions or stating that they have stronger metaphysical connections in the first place can clarify confusion and inform the reader what's more metaphysical-y and what's not.

And why add servitor and not daemon? The term servitor isn't used very often either, most guides don't mention it.

I remember being very confused when joining this forum and thinking the term "daemon" meant "demon", and it wasn't until digging around until I found the actual meaning for it, a problem this guide should be used to avoid happening to other people anyway. It's this reason why I really want daemon in the guide so new people don't get confused and think "eek? Some Tulpae are demons?"

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Fair enough on the soulbond thing. We personally stopped using the word soulbond when we came to learn it was mostly a meta thing, though the definition written for it doesn't mention those meta origins.

The decision to exclude meta terms was Ponytail's, mostly, so he can answer your questions about that. 

I frequently see the word servitor being used in the community fairly often. Most guides don't mention it as they're focused on the creation of tulpas, not non-sentient beings.

I guess we can include daemon, I just don't see the need to confuse people with something that isn't even mentioned very often in the tulpa community anyway. I'm not familiar enough with them to make a definition, though, so if someone can provide a clear explanation of what they are then that would be appreciated.

"A thoughtform meant to represent some aspect of the host's identity, usually taking the form of an animal." Does this sound right? I dunno, still seems off to include it as a term when it's kind of an out-there word that isn't really used. Though I guess fictive/factive aren't used either. I'll see what Ponytail thinks about it.

The definition that you gave seems good to me. Also deamons aren't strictly metaphysical, they just often are.

Actually speaking of that it might be a good idea to define metaphysical in the glossary since that has a different meaning in the tulpamancy community than it does in the broader world (and even if you don't want to get into metaphysical terms it still seems useful to define the word itself).

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

meta and other-community stuff should be noted as such probly, the weird thing with the .io glossary was they had stuff like "shard-feeding" and things that don't usually have to do with tulpa.info, BUT people may still come across them and wonder what they mean

maybe you could even have an "other communities' terms" section for stuff like that?

"Possession: The state in which a tulpa controls the physical body. Can refer to either partial control, such as a limb, or full control of the body."

this is way better, since what you guys are saying it's like for you isn't consistent with how it is for literally anyone else we know from the .info community - "main thinker" is just wrong, and you guys are doing partial switching, which is super blurred with "advanced possession" and the fact is neither one exists as a "thing" and we're just humans experiencing different things and it won't always line up. possession and switching are like the #1 most varied experiences and so it's okay to not quite fit the definitions, but you can't change them to match how they are for you 'cus.. well, yeah, they exist as-is for stability's sake

it's better to keep the definition a lil vague since possession itself is a lil (actually a lot) vague, basically. but yeah just as an FYI even as an update on your attempts to switch, if you guys can become the "main thinker" then there's not some super secret state of being left to call switching, you're already doing it (on the tulpa side). y'just need to move from co-fronting to actually switching and you'd be there!

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Perhaps it's an older thing, but both servitor and soulbond have been used in non-metaphysical senses for a very long time in this and related communities. For awhile there was even a solely psychological soulbond community that pre-dated the modern tulpa community. Servitors were a rampant term that were uh, mostly given attention out of paranoia. People feared that not forcing their tulpa naked consistently for a certain number of hours while putting words in their mouth would make the most defective tulpa, and atleast one of those they feared would lead to it being a servitor. This community is pretty strange at times.

Also, possession isn't remote or fancy. It's moving. Sometimes my tulpas are aware of something they find scarier than I do. Sometimes out of odd reflex crap they hit me in the face with a broom (long story). It's just moving. You possess while in your mother's womb. It's just movement. It's like they share a brain with you and use motor nerves regardless of whether or not they're fronting or consciously considering the wise words within Machiavelli's The Republic. Some of this may assist them in movement, they may not possess if nothing ever warrants them to react, but it's all window dressing to the simplicity of movement.

As for metaphysical content, I mostly wanted to exclude it because I know nothing about it and would have no idea where to begin properly educating myself. I also don't feel that educating myself in a community that I'd have no plans of sharing beliefs with or participating in would at all qualify me to define such terms.

Edit: Damn you Lucilyn and your ninjitsu tricks! *Shakes fist angrily*

The System:

It's too big.

ha, that's what she said.

Alter/split: A thoughtform that functions as an independent, separate personality from the original, with its own opinions and capabilities. USually sprouts from the host as a result of severe trauma at a young age, and are not intentionally created.

Weird capitalization on "USually" here.

Endogenic: A plural system that developed unintentionally but without trauma. This could mean a variety of things, a common example being an imaginary friend that grows into a systemmate.

Maybe avoid using a term you define later (systemmate)? Either put the definition for systemmate before endogenic (which would mess up the alphabetical ordering) or try not to use terms that need defining in your definitions.

Thoughtform: Any agent within your mind that can performs tasks. Includes servitors.

I don't think this is the right definition for thoughtform. When I first created Snow, she was just a little ball, and that ball sure didn't perform any tasks, but I would argue she was still a thoughtform. However I'm not quite sure how to define it.

Tulpa: An intentionally-created sentient thoughtform that functions independently of the original personality/host.

I believe (apparent) sentience, or the intention of bestowing sentience is a crucial part of the definition of a tulpa. Otherwise a servitor would also be a tulpa. Nevermind, I can't read

I'm willing to hear arguments against anything I said, don't take them as set-in-stone-you-must-do-this.

I don't visit as often as I used to. If you want me to see something, make sure to quote a post of mine or ping me @jean-luc

I believe (apparent) sentience, or the intention of bestowing sentience is a crucial part of the definition of a tulpa. Otherwise a servitor would also be a tulpa.

It is already part of the definition that they have to be sentient before they are a tulpa, so a servitor is not a tulpa under this definition. also some people have had servitors that turn into tulpas, so I don't think that it is important how they become sentient, just that they are

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Most dictionaries are still going to use words in definitions that haven't been defined yet themselves. It wouldn't make sense to change their order.

I added the word "separate" to the definition of thoughtform. The definition says that they can perform tasks, not that they necessarily do. 

[align=justify]Besides, just floating around or something could still be considered a task :P

[/align]

Servitors aren't tulpas because servitors aren't sentient. Thoughtforms like servitors can exhibit "apparent" sentience, but that doesn't make them actually sentient.

I don't see anywhere in that definition where it doesn't imply that sentience is required for a tulpa. Maybe you misread?