The issue of appropriation

Near

no “tulpa” ever fronts, or takes control of a person.

Well this is off to a good start.

While I appreciate the argument of appropriation, there's one main problem that I believe defeats the entire argument against "tulpamancers".

At home I grabbed my various books and texts. Some ritual texts, some academic, some glossaries. Do you know what word I wasn’t able to find? Tulpa.

If we were calling them sprulpas, I would totally agree with this argument. It would be rather unfair to history to take their word and completely change it, remaining similar enough to confuse those who may see or have seen historical use of the word. But we're not. We're using the new word "tulpa", which has basically never been used outside of recent western instances of thoughtforms that aren't even based on deities. From the very first usage of the word tulpa, it was clear it was not the same practice as where the idea came from.

Alexandra specifically created a random, unassuming monk. Nothing religious. And that was the first use of the word tulpa. Aside from losing the metaphysical connotations, tulpas remain fairly similar to what they were to begin with, even with a more rational view of things like imposition still practiced. I see no problem at all with our use of the word, and I believe we separate it from its influence just fine.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• 2 months later...

In our youth we studied Tibetan Vajrayana for some years with a very qualified teacher. There use of the term tulpa is quite different from this communities.  So different that I have no problem with the appropriation.

I'm also a member of the empowered, not disordered, plural/community. We have been active in that world predating the interwebs and online since newsgroups and mailing lists. In that regard I do feel that the tulpa community is a tad dickish appropriation wise.  ;)  

Crap! cats are fighting. I will edit and finish when I get back.

Yes, it's like that! One of the shadows that posts here is just now getting back to this thread.

Why do I not have a problem with cultural appropriation as far as Tibetan Buddhism goes?

Well for starters Tibetan and Indian Buddhism didn't actually have tulpas, they had tulkus, sprulpas, etc.

"Tulpa" is a Theosophical term. So at best/worst this communities use of "tulpa" is an appropriation of an appropriation. And even at that the use here of tulpa pretty much matches minus the "OMG, magik!" part.

Now as far as using terms from the empowered multiplicity community? That we do have a bit of an issue with. Full disclosure; I'm not a fan of the "Waaa, waaaaa... I'm so broken!" DID crowd lifting terms either. And for the same reasons. Except you peeps are cool and open minded and the programmed by the medical community crowd can get down right nasty and puritanical, lol.

When we were coming up with that stuff in the 90s and 00s we were very careful to be inclusive. Multiplicity/Plurality encompasses born that way, Tulpamancers, classic traumagenic DIDers, DDNOS, hiveminds, shamans, houngans/mambos, walkins, soulbonds, grab bags of all of that, etc..

So my issue isn't with subsets of the broader Multiplicity/Plurality using the terminology. It's with subsets/subcultures taking terms and altering them or narrowing them and trying to "own" them.

My best example for this community is people tulpasplaining the term cofronting. It's a pretty broad term. No, its a VERY broad term. From a dysfunctional traumagenic multiple(s) POV it might not be happening much at all without lots of work. From what I'v read here cofronting in some way, shape, or form is pretty much a given for tulpas.

For some etymology check things starting with "co"; http://astraeasweb.net/plural/glossary.html

Guest Reilyn-Alley

I read that glossary quite a bit when trying to clarify co-fronting. I had seen the term used in other places (like tulpa.io and the reddit) and even scattered about on here. I know co-fronting is a blanket term (for a state of operating or being for headmates), like plurality is a blanket term. I said co-fronting because I assumed nobody in the community would know what I meant by co-running and it would sound like I was pulling in yet another term. As far as we can tell, by those glossary definitions, Lance and I are always co-present and often (but not always) co-running. We found it far easier to have one of us coordinate who is supposed to be primary and who is secondary to prevent falling and fighting who gets to see, etc.

EDIT: I didn't realize how dismissive or hostile I sounded with my earlier, unedited comment. This community has been great and very accepting of a weirdo like me and I'm nothing but grateful. <3

EDIT: I didn't realize how dismissive or hostile I sounded with my earlier, unedited comment. This community has been great and very accepting of a weirdo like me and I'm nothing but grateful.  <3

Now I want to read it! lol. I hope my post above isn't too grouchy. Its not intended that way, and not aimed at you.

Hello there, so I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I just use the term "tulpa" because it's much easier to say. Already the DID community, and some people in general, think it's a fake mental illness. They think people are making it up to gain attention, or to gain popularity, fame, etc. I did a paper on the history of Tulpas, and while the original word was Tulpa, it changed a couple hundred years later to Nirmita. Then it changed back to Tulpa in 1905, and as stuck ever since. I'm not "appropriating" a word, I personally don't think there's really such a thing as cultural appropriation. As long as you are respectful, and understand the root of where the word came from, you're fine.

P.S: I use smudging in rituals and incense sticks. I am certainly not appropriating Native America culture. In Paganism (primarily) smudging is used to cleanse an area of negative energies.