Reaching out to multiple community?

>implying this wasn't the third thing I thought of doing with my tulpa and immediately thought about adding "scientific curiosity" as a trait so she would be more willing to do this form the get-go

[Note: Opinions]

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semi-Nomadic, tulpatalk and Guest confirmed for initial test subjects.

(I often post as Guest)

I definitely plan on trying it if my tulpa will be fine with it and if I end up trusting her sufficiently.

• 2 years later...

Firstly, sorry for necroposting. While I want to reach out the same as the rest of you, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate: how do we know that healthy multiplicity, or even any sort of multiplicity, is actually possible? Is there scientific evidence? If there is, how do we know that it can be trusted?

If I may speak from my knowledge of them...

From what I understand of Multiples, they would disagree that they are too similar to Tulpamancy. For the sake of pride in oneself and one's identity, and because many people would disregard their... whatever you want to call it. Lifestyle, perhaps? Anyway, to be polite, you should not make assumptions about other thoughtforms, such as "daemons are like servitors". They do not stem from the idea of tulpas, therefore you should not compare them with tulpas in that way.

It doesn't matter whether your opinions are right or wrong. Most importantly, it can be offensive.

Tulpas are created by a host. Multiple Systems, on the other hand, claim they were not created by a host. Tulpas can be created and dissipated, but Multiples are discovered, and they are apparently more real than a tulpa could ever be, because Multiples say that they are actually real personalities within one body. Whatever stage you are at creating your tulpas, in the case of Multiple Systems, I think what Multiples try to communicate is that they were born that way. Because of this, I hesitate to call them thoughtforms.

Firstly, sorry for necroposting. While I want to reach out the same as the rest of you, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate: how do we know that healthy multiplicity, or even any sort of multiplicity, is actually possible? Is there scientific evidence? If there is, how do we know that it can be trusted?

If I may answer your question; you might well ask that about tulpamancy. There is no scientific, physical proof that tulpas or multiples exist. But you would argue there is proof for the existence of tulpas, because it is an experience that you have had, and you share it with other people in this community. That is enough reason for you believe tulpas are real. There are many people with Multiple Systems, I don't know how many, but they experience it, it is real to them, and therefore that is enough proof for them.

Scientific evidence/proof I believe is real, physical proof that can be witnessed by everyone. If we put it that way, there is no scientific proof for Multiple Systems, nor for Otherkin, tulpas, or daemons. We can see our tulpas, no one else can. But that's not to say it can't be trusted.

Near pretty much answered proof thing.

Now, as for heuristics, there are a few multiple systems who also have tulpas in the tulpa communities. Ask yourself, are any of them healthy, do any of them sound like they know what they are talking about, have they had useful advice? Then you have answered your own question.

I can think of 9 different multiple systems who have been a part of the tulpa communities off-hand and many more multiple systems elsewhere who also have tulpas (and describe them as such). My system is one such system as a system of 2 alters (oh, do I hate that term but I am going to use it to distinguish here since I really need a term like it) and 5 tulpas (I'm one of the alters). Then there are the authors of a recently submitted switching guide (not useful for everyone, but it has been for me and my tulpas) who are multiple and have tulpas. There was actually a pretty huge discussion on multiplicity on /r/Tulpas which can be found at What do you think of the Tumblr "headmate" trend?. Make sure to read the posts that are by multiples.

Anecdotally, multiples' healths range over a wide spectrum from those who live really healthily (I can think of a couple, including a few who have passed through this community) to completely dysfunctional due to their multiplicity. I'd like to think my system is on the healthier end, but then there is my thread Having a growing uncontrolled dissociation problem, which suggests that we aren't completely healthy (do note, we are otherwise really functional) but getting there. I know one very healthy multiple system very very well (no surprise considering that T and I are dating their two members).

If I may speak from my knowledge of them...

From what I understand of Multiples, they would disagree that they are too similar to Tulpamancy. For the sake of pride in oneself and one's identity, and because many people would disregard their... whatever you want to call it. Lifestyle, perhaps? Anyway, to be polite, you should not make assumptions about other thoughtforms, such as "daemons are like servitors". They do not stem from the idea of tulpas, therefore you should not compare them with tulpas in that way.

It doesn't matter whether your opinions are right or wrong. Most importantly, it can be offensive.

Tulpas are created by a host. Multiple Systems, on the other hand, claim they were not created by a host. Tulpas can be created and dissipated, but Multiples are discovered, and they are apparently more real than a tulpa could ever be, because Multiples say that they are actually real personalities within one body. Whatever stage you are at creating your tulpas, in the case of Multiple Systems, I think what Multiples try to communicate is that they were born that way. Because of this, I hesitate to call them thoughtforms.

I will personally say there are a ton of similarities. Because alters have different origins than thoughtforms (rather than being created, they were either always there or came from splits, often associated with trauma), there are some differences. One of the biggest is that alters can often be strong immediately after coming into existence (like, switching by force strong sometimes) and thoughtforms can't. That said, the longer a tulpa has been around, sentient, and independent, the differences narrow. I mean, if you really get down to it, a host is nothing more than an alter really, and we as a community say anecdotally the difference between hosts and tulpas narrows over time. Many of the host-tulpa systems who have been plural (general term for all people who are not the only consciousness in the brain) for a long time could go into the multiple community, use multiple terminology, and not mention tulpamancy or origins and blend in completely.

Most multiples I have talked to or seen on forums see the similarities between all types of plurality (being multiple, tulpamancy, daemonism, etc.) but with many seeing some differences too. Origins are the big one. That being said, many in the multiple community look at the tulpa communities with suspicion. Many think that tulpamancy trivializes the problems some multiples deal with. And to be fair, the way some people here talk does kind of do that. But overall, I would say that tulpamancy does not trivialize the problems that some multiples deal with. The bigger issue is that a lot of multiples have browsed through the tulpa communities and been turned away by the ignorance (and occasionally dismissal) of other types of plurality (like multiplicity) by tulpamancers. But many see the similarities despite that. I've seen more than a few tulpa-host systems on multiple forums and there are no problems and they are able to share experiences and knowledge quite reliably. Heck, I even pointed a tulpa-host system I am good friends with to a multiples forum since in many ways, they would find more common ground with people who describe their systems as gateway systems than with host-tulpa systems in the tulpa communities.

It might be useful to go out and read some stuff from the multiple community

- Hail Fall of the Fall Family

Tri = {V, O, G}, Ice and Frostbite and Breach (all formerly Hail), and others

System Name: Fall Family

Former Username: hail_fall

Contributor and administrator on a supplementary tulpamancy resource and associated forum, Tulpa.io and Tulpa.io/discuss/.

plese don't lure crazy tumblr SJWs here we don't need the metaphysical board to implode on itself

Scarlet - anime, 8/15/2012

I know you guys are used to approaching things like people are telling the truth, but... I'm 90% sure these people, or the majority of them at least, are role-playing.

That may be true, Zaros, we might never know. But it is important to allow people to talk about themselves, whether or not it may be true. Having your ideas rejected and rejecting the ideas of others can be very damaging, and often does not work in your favour. So, even if I didn't think the Multiples are telling the truth, what they're saying isn't harmful, so try not to deny or reject what they're saying, just go along with it and treat it neutrally. In other words, humour them. After all, there are plenty of people out there who'd call us tulpamancers freaks and say we need professional help, and a number of things that we all know aren't true. We're not roleplaying, either. But they don't know that, and a lot of them won't believe us if we said we weren't.

Near, you certainly have a point in it. Most people just think like "If this is not common, it's abnormal". Screw them. The only thing you can be sure about is that you can't be sure in anything.

Yet Zaros, although it's painful to say it, also has a point. And mostly there is one common thing in roleplayers. They don't even try to make their stories look like truth. Mostly, they make mountains out of nonexistent molehills.

The bigger the pride, the less the truth.

And may the fears keep away from you.

There are plenty of roleplayers around who do exactly what you say, Tim. But I still like to make room for doubt on both ends of the scale. Right now I have no reason to completely believe the majority of multiples are telling the truth, and I have no reason to completely believe the majority are roleplayers. Nevertheless, It seems quite improbable to me that, 90% perhaps, are pretenders wallowing in their pride, but I can only theorise until I've met a multiple for myself and decided that they are telling the truth, which is pretty much all you can do.