How to Refocus on Your Wonderland (First Submission)

GrayTheCat

I decided that I would like to wait for Clo and Radical Dreamers to finish their reviews and then I would like for my submission to be moved to the bottom of the list. I don't want to rush reading through everyone's recommendations and I feel like I'm ultimately going to re-draft this, and for that reason I want more time. I will respond to people's feedback slowly over time, but I don't want to hold up the GAT while I'm trying to revise my guide.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, thank you for your patience on waiting for my reply. Things have been quite hectic for us, causing us to rarely be online.

This guide assumes you have a wonderland, but this method can also be applied to visualizing objects in a void.

Clarifying that this guide is for those with wonderlands or for systems who are going to create a wonderland is a superb way to start it off. Specifically saying that you can visualize objects in a void is also helpful for newcomers. Initially I was a bit torn apart by this, thinking that it's unnecessary to specify that the objects are in a void. Even though it may seem obvious to me, it may not be obvious to some people, so it's good you're willing to go in depth with even what seems to be the most basic things.

--The Process in Short/Summary of Visualization Skill sections--

Very professional sounding and straight to the point, providing all the details required. This is a shining example of my ideal guide.

Before you sit down to visualize your wonderland, your images may be foggy and you may have a bunch of distracting thoughts that are far more interesting than blurry, incomprehensible images. In this state, remember that your visualization is not bad, you’re just distracted and your visualization will get better.

This hits very close to home for my system. One of the most amusing moments for our system was when my host was forcing but went off on a serious tangent thinking about how car engines work. Perhaps it was visualization practice? You be the judge.

The first step is to get in a comfortable position and think about slowing down.

"Slowing down" is a bit vague. Since you referenced Chupi and Nikodemos's guide, perhaps you could reference Thunderclap's Foghorn Meditation for this as it was already reviewed by the GAT. It is mentioned how space "expands" in a sense while performing his technique, which gives me the sensation of slowing down in general.

In the end, guides are supposed to be guidelines and not step-by-step tutorials. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt and are merely a suggestion. "Slowing down" can mean anything to the reader, since tulpas are a personal experience/journey for each and every host.

relaxation breathing

I saw that a few other users and GAT members were picking at this specific quote for some reason. I have no idea why, it seems really straight forward and makes sense. Deep breaths through the nose, out through the mouth. Kind of silly how this was nitpicked, honestly. Sure it may sound odd, but all that needs to be done to ease it is to change it to "a relaxation breathing technique" or something along those lines.

Sphere to tree

Other reviewers did bring up this quick shift, yes. Perhaps utilizing something a little easier, such as a plastic cola bottle could help out. It's a bit more complex, has a few different textures and has "volume" - For example, keeping it half full and shaking it could help out a lot to maintain focus.

--Suggestions--

The tree format of this section gives off an impression of old guides and how they were more step-based. This isn't a necessarily good or bad thing, but to me it's a good thing. It gives a little overview of what was looked over and shows off a basic iteration of what was discussed.

On top of that, it's good that you mentioned picking something that you find interesting when it comes to visualization. A tree is certainly a big step from the sphere, but in the end, you do mention that anything you want is ideal. A tree is merely an example in the grand scheme of things, which I feel like has been overlooked.

I don’t recommend loud or overwhelming objects because the point is to calm down and focus, not feel overwhelmed and become distracted.

A loud object sounds a bit odd, but I do see what you mean by this. It could be a music box of some sort that plays a little chime when you open it. It does seem a bit odd to bring it up when no sound has been mentioned throughout the guide, though. In regards to my cola bottle suggestion, you could add the sound of the liquid moving and splashing within it while you manipulate the object.

---

Overall, this is an easy to follow guide that focuses on what's important to the subject matter. It needs adjustments, yes.

Since you actively updated the drafts and posted the Google Doc, I can say with confidence that I can approve Draft 2 without any further delay or any quarrels. Do consider my suggestions though, as I feel like it will enhance your guide and make it stand out more than it already does.

Draft 2

A p p r o v e d

• 1 year later...

Hey! I wanted to say that this REALLY helped me visualize A LOT better. Not to where it is super visible, but to where i can see things with a lot more detail. I used a method of describing what the objects looked like to myself, then how they felt. It really worked and im so happy. I will continue using this method to further my visibility.

Edited by Michael-T&G

(edited)
15 hours ago, Michael-T&G said:

Hey! I wanted to say that this REALLY helped me visualize A LOT better. Not to where it is super visible, but to where i can see things with a lot more detail. I used a method of describing what the objects looked like to myself, then how they felt. It really worked and im so happy. I will continue using this method to further my visibility.

That's awesome! I'm glad it helped!

Reading over my guide again, I really need to redraft it and resubmit it... I had a few new ideas from when I had feedback, but I was overwhelmed by the fact I had too many changes I wanted to make I decided not to move forward with finishing my redraft at the time. If I re-submit my draft, it's going to probably need another review because the guide may look pretty different from how it looks even now.

Mind the fact I didn't feel like making a separate post for this.

So far I feel pretty happy with my latest re-draft of my guide. I want to add a couple more changes, but I plan on re-submitting it in a new thread soon.

I felt overwhelmed with a lot of the feedback I got and I needed more time to tinker with my guide. I redrafted the thing 4 times but in the end but I think it was worth it. A lot of the changes I made I think are for the better and I was able to add suggestions made from the last review session.

On 3/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, Luminesce said:

No offense, but taking issue with the meaning of "relaxation breathing" is the pinnacle of GAT pickiness to me so far. I guess "think about slowing down" can confuse people, especially foreign readers, but I don't think it's too hard to wrap your head around normally either. But... relaxation breathing... You know, anger management, ALL MAINSTREAM MEDITATION, "breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth", "just breathe"......

I figured out a work-around for this. I'm planning on linking a website that walks you through relaxation breathing so people unfamiliar with it have something to go off of. Given the latest issues with Linkzelda's guide almost being lost forever, I'm planning on uploading a pdf version of that site.

For the GAT, I think if you're confused about something or believe new users would find it confusing, it would be more helpful to request for a source. However, Bre and several others were right about a lot of my wording being weird and I hope I fixed that.

On 3/17/2019 at 10:36 PM, Cat_ShadowGriffin said:

I didn't think about that until you mentioned it, thank you. Studying the anatomy of a human using references helps you get into that same mindset I'm trying to get my intended reader to have, and I remember doing the piece meal approach myself. When I go back and revise the guide, I'll elaborate more on those points.

I got hung up on this for awhile realizing this would make my wonderland-visualization guide even more of a visualization guide, and some of my draft ideas even included making this a completely different guide. However, I decided instead of doing that, I'll update this guide and write a separate visualization guide on how to visualize a humanoid tulpa (which is in the works, I don't know when I'm going to release it)

Edited by Cat_ShadowGriffin

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account