How do You Define Tulpa Terminology?

GrayTheCat

I would argue that the host does not have any more of a phisical appearance than a tulpa does, the host is most likely to associate with the appearance of the body, however that appearance is not theirs, it belongs to the body

What I meant when I said that hosts form with a physical appearance is that they form within and into that body from birth, and the other people in the system usually come along later in life but without the same physical growth and maturing as the original and can never actually appear outside of their host's body/appearance the same way the original might or might have considered the body theirs.. I don't think there's anything wrong with hosts claiming the body and it's appearance as theirs, or feeling that the host is the body. The dissociation from the body seems like a personal preference.

There will always be exceptions, no matter what the terminology is or what's considered the norm. I acknowledge what you're saying and I can respect your opinion, but for now I still feel it's more an exception rather than what the norm is/has been.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there is nothing wrong with associating with the body, I'm just saying that the host is not the body. I suppose that we will just have to agree to disagree on this issue though.

Create is generally not associated with being born even if they are technically synonyms. Even if create is technically correct it doesn't evoke the right idea, so I prefer it left out.

It seems like descussion on the definition of tulpa is coming to a close. Are we ready to vote?

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

Guest LanceReilyn

Ready to vote? This has been up for what, 11 hours? Many in the community wouldn't have even had a chance to see it. I'm willing to participate but I have to agree with Vos that this seems redundant. There is already the wiki, the tulpa.io terminologies and the reddit glossary (though I find many of their definitions to be lacking), do we really need a 4th set of definitions?

Or would it just be better for people to take the time to read what already exists? After all, if they don't it doesn't matter if you spend a year polling and writing a dictionary of the best definitions.

And, yes I'm aware we are probably two of the primary offenders with all of our nonsense about co-hosting this and "whatever this is, lol" that. There are reasons for that. Personal distaste of the term full-body-possession and after over a month of permanence and how equal our influence over the body, it just doesn't seem adequate. Our opinion doesn't change the terminology though, just as it was implied that a tulpa is always a tulpa, even if they permanently switch and become the new host. If they want to go around calling themselves the host, that's entirely up to them. The problem is to some people, "tulpa" isn't only a definition, it is an identity label. Like "man" or "woman", can carry weight to an individual and may be met with personal distaste.

I'm not saying voting on everything, just on a definition for one word, of course we haven't even proposed definitions for all the words yet.

The problem with the wiki's definitions is that they aren't comprehensive and most people don't go on the wiki. And many of the reddit and .io definitions are not very good. Also these definitions are voted on and discussed by the community so it is likely to have a high level of quality. And for me at least, it is an opportunity to learn about more experiences and perspectives on tulpamancy, so it would be worth it regardless of the results of this endeavor

-Me

I'm not saying voting on everything, just on a definition for one word, of course we haven't even proposed definitions for all the words yet.

The problem with the wiki's definitions is that they aren't comprehensive and most people don't go on the wiki. And many of the reddit and .io definitions are not very good. Also these definitions are voted on and discussed by the community so it is likely to have a high level of quality. And for me at least, it is an opportunity to learn about more experiences and perspectives on tulpamancy, so it would be worth it regardless of the results of this endeavor

Only 6 systems gave their opinions about Tulpas, the bare minimum is 15, considering that they already voted (no one officially voted on the term Tulpa). Anyone can vote at any time, and this is supposed to be an ongoing process, not something that's rushed. If you would like to bring up another term, feel free. Please don't feel pressured to rush through each vocab term. All contributions are optional, and voting per system while appreciated is not required. I put the 15 system minimum for the final working drafts because I wanted a diversity of opinions. I imagined this as a thread where arguments form naturally and reveal more information and context surrounding each term.

I get that this can seem redundant. But did the Tulpa.info and Wiki guides include the community's general opinion? The Tulpa.io glossary pulls from several sources, but what about a list who's workings are debated constantly by over 15 systems?

I am most interested in this thread because it allows for people to share and compare their perspectives, experiences, and ideas about the terminology and have it all in one place. My goal is to get everyone on the same page more or less, or at least be more aware of what opinions and experiences are floating around in general. I want this to shine a light on what extent these terms relate to our experiences and reveal how effective the language is at sharing our experiences.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Oh ok, I thought that we were going to work through each term one at a time, so I was hoping that people would get to voting so we could move on, but if it is meant to be less structured than that then I guess that there is no rush.

Host: the original tulpa in a system that was naturally created from the body at birth. Draft 1.

This one only works depending on the definition of tulpa.

Tulpamancer: one who creates or has created tulpas and continues to interact with them, usually the host. Draft 1

I feel like if someone dissipates all their tulpas it doesn't make sense for them to be a tulpamancer, especially since "mancer" means "one who speeks to".

Tulpaforcing/Forcing: to interact with or give attention to another member of one's system. Draft 1

This one is pretty straightforward.

-Me

Guest Reilyn-Alley

Should forcing include active and passive sub definitions or something? Such as..

Tulpaforcing/Forcing: To interact with or give attention to another member of one's system, either actively or passively. Active forcing focuses attention solely on the system,  while passive forcing is done while engaged in other activities. Draft 1

I like some of the glossary definitons so I'll toss them here too, with a few adjustments..

Fonting: The act of being “plugged in” to the physical body, receiving sensory input from it. Frequently involves total or partial control of the body itself. Draft1.

Blending: (blurring, being mushy, meshy) Refers to an experience in which system members’ consciousnesses and/or identities become slightly merged. Can sometimes be confusing to the blended members. It can be experienced as distressing, relaxing, etc. depending on circumstance. Draft 1.

Co-Fronting: Refers to multiple system members fronting at once. This can involve multiple system members also using the body at once. Often implies blending, but can occur without it. Possession and eclipsing are two out of many forms of co-fronting. Draft 1.

Possessing: A form of co-fronting in which the previous controller passes control of the body to another system member, but remains conscious and connected to the body’s senses. Possession can cover one or more body parts or the whole body, the latter of which is sometimes called full-body possession. Draft 1.

As a vote:

Reilyn, Tulpaforcing/Forcing, draft 1. Points: 4

It's good and I think that it works well for a definition, though it's not quite perfect.

I don't like the definition of fronting because I don't know about any of you, but anyone active in my system always had access to the senses, though they don't personally associate with it unless they are switched in. That doesn't seem like a concept even worth mentioning. I also don't like it because there are multiple mostly unrelated definitions of fronting and I don't think that any definition should be chosen specifically until we can decide on which one is most useful to keep (I am against keeping multiple definitions of it because it is confusing to know which one someone is using at a specific time, and because an individual normally only uses one of the given definitions). I'll give my definition just to add an idea.

Fronting: to control the body that one lives in, whether by switching, possession, or some other means. Draft 1.

I also don't like your definition of blending, just because it isn't very descriptive.

Blending: multiple systemmates temperaraly becoming the same entity, or otherwise being unable to deferentiate from one another, usually on accedent. Draft 1.

If your definition of co-fronting is accurate them apperently Monika and I have been co-fronting since the beginning. That seems silly though so there is probably a missunderstanding.

I think that your possession definition is way more complicated than it needs to be.

Possessing: to control the body without totally associating with it while another systemmate is associating with the body. Either controling the whole body, full possession, or just some parts, partial possession. Draft 1

-Me

Guest Reilyn-Alley

And here is where subjective stuff comes in. What does "totally associating" with the body mean to you? Are you referring to all 5 senses? Direct control? Because by your definition, Lance and I are not possessing. Both of us are "totally associated" with our body at all times. We can't turn it off or one of us switch out and go back into some dark head box or non-existent wonderland.

Totally associating isn't just feeling the senses, it's being the senses. When you associate with the body you aren't just a tulpa, you are the body.

Also I'm not quite certain what you mean by "direct control"

-Me